Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Sky Glass

What does everyone think of this concept? When DH told me about it I immediately thought of 21st century Radio Rentals 😂😂😂

He’s quite excited about it, but we’re with BT for another year so couldn’t do it yet anyway, will be interesting to see if they do a multi room version
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We are considering the 65” as think it’s a great idea.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I like the general idea but it is too early to tell at the moment. Too many unknowns such as Picture and Sound quality, stability of the broadband/Wifi and compatibility with 3rd party equipment.

Sky TV through the dish is great but their broadband is woeful in my area.

If the broadband and WiFi equipment in Sky Glass is a significant improvement on Sky Q then I think Sky Glass could suit a lot of people, especially if they are in the market for a new TV.

At present if broadband goes down you can still watch TV through the Dish, with Sky Glass you would be fully reliant on the Broadband!

Edited at 09:22 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I'm very much in the same camp as Stu.

For example - Will we be able to watch Sky on existing TV's without the glass facility if we have a glass one in the lounge? Quite often we have 3 TV's on if the Grandchildren are here all showing different programs.
No way would I be 'renting' 3 new TV's.

I don't want Sky Broadband as I am on Copper wire with BT and that's dire. No fibre where I live.

But, the concept sounds good so more detail and personal reviews required.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I find the concept interesting - even quite appealing but fibre has only just become available in our area. Its only FTTC and the speeds are not brilliant and sometimes cuts out. We have multiple devices and also sometimes 3 TV's on at once when the GKs are in residence, so at least for now I think we'll stick with the dish, with the aerial as backup, as I am definitely in favour of having as many options as possible.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I like the general idea but it is too early to tell at the moment. Too many unknowns such as Picture and Sound quality, stability of the broadband/Wifi and compatibility with 3rd party equipment.

Sky TV through the dish is great but their broadband is woeful in my area.

If the broadband and WiFi equipment in Sky Glass is a significant improvement on Sky Q then I think Sky Glass could suit a lot of people, especially if they are in the market for a new TV.

At present if broadband goes down you can still watch TV through the Dish, with Sky Glass you would be fully reliant on the Broadband!
Yes and fttp will be paramount.
Dh works closely with Sky so is trying to find out more info as hoping it’ll still act as a hub for the sky q mini boxes so dd can still have it in her room as can’t see them making this aspect redundant as will put many people off.
I think we have decided to wait for the second generation of this as it’ll for sure be better.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
As above depends on your broadband for me it will be no problem as I got fibre BT just updated us and so far so good.I
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Dh tells me that to use the q mini boxes you need to keep the main q box. If you’re getting rid of that you need a puck for each room to have multi room working with glass.

So it’s a completely new system or keep q and add the tv which seems pointless.

We plan to move in the next couple of years and at that point we’d definitely look at it to not have to deal with wires and boxes anymore. For now though it’s not worth it for us.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I'm very much in the same camp as Stu.

For example - Will we be able to watch Sky on existing TV's without the glass facility if we have a glass one in the lounge? Quite often we have 3 TV's on if the Grandchildren are here all showing different programs.
No way would I be 'renting' 3 new TV's.

I don't want Sky Broadband as I am on Copper wire with BT and that's dire. No fibre where I live.

But, the concept sounds good so more detail and personal reviews required.

Hi Graham you need 3 pucks not TVs which means you can have sky on 3 TVs but of course you need good broadband pucks

Edited at 10:11 AM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Hi Graham you need 3 pucks not TVs which means you can have sky on 3 TVs but of course you need good broadband pucks
Kevin. Than you, makes sense. We will just keep an eye on things as we are very happy with Sky Q so no need to spend more money.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List