Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 18 Nov 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

My current bank First Direct switched to master card debit in the Summer and issued all customers with a new card.
Old 19 Nov 21, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

The same Amazon that recently hit news headlines for consigning most, if not all, returns to the skip! Priorities eh Amazon!
Old 19 Nov 21, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Think the offer of £20 is now £10!
Old 19 Nov 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Not just Amazon. I bank with NatWest and have been notified my current Visa Debit Card is changing to a MasterCard Debit Card in December.

Seems Visa has scored a bit of an own goal.

However I see Amazon are offering a £20 bung so I will use my Amex Card for shopping

My God I can’t live without Amazon
Same here but never mind bit of a pain they all so changing my account but not much change as I don’t have a over draft
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ThemeParkPro
a Friend of the DIBB

"Reports suggest the tussle between the two commerce heavyweights is related to Great Britain’s exit from the European Union in 2020, as Great Britain no longer has to follow the EU’s strict limits on what fees card-issuers can charge retailers.

According to Reuters, Last month, Visa raised its fees for telephone and online transactions between the U.K. and EU countries from 0.3% to 1.5% for credit cards, and raised debit card fees to 1.15%, up from 0.2%."
ThemeParkPro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 03:51 AM  
Link to this Post
51-a- good year
Apprentice Imagineer

sort of

Both GB and the EU have identical maximum "interchange fees" but neither apply outside of their jurisdiction So Visa cant charge more here but have increased fees for purchases abroad and Amazon who aren't based here (for tax purposes) have been charged extra

of course Amazon could base itself here and avoid it but would then pay a lot more Uk tax
51-a- good year is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 51-a- good year View Post
sort of

Both GB and the EU have identical maximum "interchange fees" but neither apply outside of their jurisdiction So Visa cant charge more here but have increased fees for purchases abroad and Amazon who aren't based here (for tax purposes) have been charged extra

of course Amazon could base itself here and avoid it but would then pay a lot more Uk tax
Exactly, it comes down to Amazon not wanting to pay its fair share taxes.

Also its trying to push its own credit card backed by... Mastercard.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Looks like they changed their minds. Presumably better terms have been negotiated.

"The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer."

Edited at 11:36 AM.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
florida2010
Imagineer

florida2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 177
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Amazon have either blinked before Visa have or Visa have decided to modify their charges to Amazon as a retailer - either way normal service has been restored.
| First Disney Cruise & Beach Club August 2015 | Cane Island July 2016 & Dream Cruise
florida2010 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List