Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Nov 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Looking to drive Pismo to Las Vegas.. but…

Now, we were originally planning to get from the Pismo Beach/ SL Obispo area to Vegas by flying out of SL Obispo (non starter) or Santa Barbara (1 hour 30 of dull driving through Lompoc).. then we thought of an alternative.

In total, the drive from Pismo to Vegas is 6 hours 40 through Barstow or 8 plus through Death Valley.

We were due originally to fly into L Vegas on a Saturday, but were astonished by weekend rates, thus deciding to arrive in Vegas on a Sunday after stopping en route between SLO and Vegas. To be perfectly honest, whilst I am keen to see Vegas and tick it off, neither of us are wild at staying longer than we have to and putting time elsewhere has rather an appeal.

Now the question!
We set off in the morning and head inland, knowing that in total, the drive to Barstow is around 4 hours. It passes..

Through some mountains. Are they high and impressive?

Past Edwards AFB in the Mohave. Do you see it and can you get to the display area with the mother ship B52 and the other stuff? (I appreciate that the actual base is very restricted indeed!).

We then get to Barstow. It is a railway and Route 66 town.
Is the mother road museum worth seeing?
Are there authentic American Diners in Barstow (as in Route 66)?
How many hours should we devote to Calico Ghost town?
Are there any authentic motels as in Route 66 that Dibbers can recommend ?
Any other info greatly appreciated!

The journey onwards to Vegas is at a guess, 3 hours. Is there anything worth diverting to?

We will then get our day from arrival in Vegas to probably next morning when we will drive out, Hoover Dam, then Yavapai Lodge on the GC South Rim for sunset.. and that is absolutely crucial!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I did a round trip with friends from LA to Vegas through Baristow a few years ago.

It was my first experience of seeing the desert and mountains etc and it was stunning. We drove straight from LA to Baristow. We didn't do any sight seeing but the main thing I remember is that its the last gas stop and food stop before Vegas. On the highway there are signs making sure that you are aware no more gas or food between Baristow and Vegas.

We were on a budget so I think we just did fast food, but I do remember there were outlet shops and I got a good bargain on a Coach handbag.

The highway is just one long 2 lane road. You basically get on and just keep going.

Part of me wishes we did stop and do some sightseeing but my friends just wanted to get to Vegas.

The temperatures really soar as you go through the desert, my friend who was driving was using her phone as a sat nav and we had to take it off the dashboard once we got of LA and onto the main highway to Vegas to make sure it didn't over heat due to the sun shining through the car windows.

The Vegas and desert heat is so totally different to LA. The big themed hotels are just something that have to be experienced. What looks a short distance between hotels on the map can be 20 to 30 minutes walk.

Vegas is kinda like Spain, as in you will only find tourists walking around in the main heat of the day. Most of Vegas really only comes alive in the evening time. First thing in the morning, the shops will be empty, as most people are in bed.

Also each of the hotels are not just themed but kinda have a set demographic / type of people who stay at them. Mandalay Bay is party central for the 20 to 30 years, while Bellagio will get the older crowd.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

The drive is quite good. Basically baron dry ground, the mountains aren’t that impressive in comparison to going via Yosemite where the mountains soar above you 12/15 thousand ft snow capped
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
As you probably know, we drove Santa Monica to Vegas.

We did detour onto Route 66 for approx 30 miles at Victorville to Barstow. Had a few stops on the way to take pics with the signs and also Elmers Bottle Tree Ranch.

We stopped at Peggy Sues (diner) on the way.

The drive from Barstow to Vegas isn’t overly exciting.
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

We were driving from Las Vegas to Laguna Beach, so not quite your route, but we did a small diversion just to say we’d been on Route 66!

A couple of stops we made: Peggy Sue’s Diner just outside Barstow is good fun. Elmer’s Bottle Tree Ranch is somewhere I’d read about in a Route 66 guide and it was bizarre to say the least! We were glad to stop off there but I wouldn’t go too far out of my way to see it.

It is generally a pretty boring drive but we were in no rush and the couple of stops at those places plus the outlet at Primm made it quite enjoyable.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I have done Victorville to Vegas and back a few times (my ex has a house on shore of Spring Lake) - it can be a very long (boring ) drive especially on Friday evening when LA are in a rush to spend their money in Vegas and Sunday eve/Monday morning on the slow commute back to LA but I enjoy the flora & fauna so be seen and it’s has the feel of an old western film. Plus the aeroplane graveyards nearer Victorville (not that you can get too close these days) . Personally I wouldnt go out of my way to do it - the San Janicto mounting near Palm Springs are more impressive as it Bear lake and Apple Valley and Vegas leaves me cold but if its on your bucket list its one to tick off
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have driven between Barstow and Vegas a few times. We might be strange as we love it. Yes it is quite barren in places but we love how different it is to where we stay. The colours and the alien landscape, to us, are amazing.
We havent ever stopped in Barstow so can’t help there, but we wouldn’t pass Peggy Sues without stopping. It’s fun and good food ( great shakes and a slice of cherry pie).
Past there on the way is Baker, the gateway to Death Valley, which has the worlds tallest thermometer if you like Americana. The gift shop is interesting with the history of it and the guy who built it.
I’m sure whatever you choose you will enjoy as you alway do.
Old 24 Nov 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
We have driven between Barstow and Vegas a few times. We might be strange as we love it. Yes it is quite barren in places but we love how different it is to where we stay. The colours and the alien landscape, to us, are amazing.
It is one of the few places given its elevation and desert condition that the Joshua trees thrive and to see them with a backdrop of red mountains and at sunset are quiet beautiful - one of the main reasons I loves Joshua Tree National Park (that and seeing the Andrea Fault & Saltan Sea) and maybe I have taken that for granted. No doubt I will drizzle along the route over my next break at some point to Victorville and I will take s time to stop and stare (and wonder at the amazing natural spectacle )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
It is one of the few places given its elevation and desert condition that the Joshua trees thrive and to see them with a backdrop of red mountains and at sunset are quiet beautiful - one of the main reasons I loves Joshua Tree National Park (that and seeing the Andrea Fault & Saltan Sea) and maybe I have taken that for granted. No doubt I will drizzle along the route over my next break at some point to Victorville and I will take s time to stop and stare (and wonder at the amazing natural spectacle )
I love that I’ve seen the San Andreas Fault. We first seen it when we went up the cable car then went out to it one day and walked amongst the palms. It was so hot though that day.

I also wanted to add that one of our best nights was spent in Pismo Beach just walking the beach and sitting on the pier watching the surfers and the sunset. I have amazing memories of that.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
As you probably know, we drove Santa Monica to Vegas.

We did detour onto Route 66 for approx 30 miles at Victorville to Barstow. Had a few stops on the way to take pics with the signs and also Elmers Bottle Tree Ranch.

We stopped at Peggy Sues (diner) on the way.

The drive from Barstow to Vegas isn’t overly exciting.
Elmer s bottle tree ranch and Peggy Sue’s duly added to the list.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List