Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 3 Jan 22, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Great report. Totally agree with you regarding genie+. We hardly went to the parks towards the end of our stay last month as it was just so busy. My husband tested positive on return pcr in U.K. like you. Think we were lucky to get home. He also thinks he picked it up at Disney springs buying my Christmas present!
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Great write up thanks Michelle - loved following on Instagram and can't wait for the full report. Sorry you got covid - thank goodness it wasn't when you were out there like you say! xx

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Briggykins
Helping Minnie

when we first took the girls in 2012 when they were little, we were underwhelmed with Universal as there wasn’t much for us to do as a family and it just didn’t quite compare to Disney on magic and theming (Hogsmeade aside. Diagon Alley wasn’t yet open).
Can I ask how old your girls were then? We're taking a 9 and an 11 year old and were torn between doing Universal and Disney. Eventually we picked Universal mainly for HP and the Simpsons, but I'm still not sure we've made the right choice (tho it's too late to do anything about it now!)
Briggykins is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Wow, you braved it!
We wimped out and cancelled our Christmas holiday.
Great to read your highs and lows and your enthusiasm for the Poly. I’ve gone the other way around to you funnily enough 😂… used to stay at the Poly, but recently discovered the Yacht Club! I do love the sounds and smells of the Poly though, the crickets, the lizards in the bushes and the torch lit evenings.
Haven’t experienced the Hagrid ride yet, will make a note.
Great reading- thank you.
Some great feedback from you in things I’ve not tried.

Hope all is well now and you are getting to be more like your ‘old self’ again 🙂
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you even been to Disney if you haven’t been to blaze? 😂 ha, accurate.

Really interesting to read your highs and lows. AK on Christmas Day sounds like so much more of a chilled experience and sounds lovely.

Cannot wait to ride Hagrids! Hopefully next year if we do Universal. You’ve made me a bit unsure again saying it wasn’t as family friendly when your girls were younger. All my memories are from
Being a teenager really too! But hoping to do Grinchmass and find enough to do for the kids to fulfil my need for Harry Potter. Did you see the castle show?

Poly sounds like a dream. One day when the kids are a bit older I think as we currently find sharing a room with them too hard work and are option for 1 bedroom options in May. Walking to MK sounds like a dream! Plus the pool and Ohana… amazing.

Can’t wait to get stuck in and read all about it xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Love a warts and all trip report. Sounds like a fab trip, hope covid doesn't linger too long.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
Thanks for posting
Hope you feel better soon
Thank you for reading, feeling much better now .

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Enjoyed reading your highs and lows hope you are soon feeling better!

Joan
Thanks Joan, luckily it only took a few days to feel better. Thanks as always for the lovely comment .

Originally Posted by saratogajan View Post
Great report. Totally agree with you regarding genie+. We hardly went to the parks towards the end of our stay last month as it was just so busy. My husband tested positive on return pcr in U.K. like you. Think we were lucky to get home. He also thinks he picked it up at Disney springs buying my Christmas present!
Oh that’s so funny that your husband had such a similar experience to mine, and yes definitely lucky to get home . It really was so busy in the parks! Thanks for reading and commenting .

Originally Posted by bambikate View Post
Great write up thanks Michelle - loved following on Instagram and can't wait for the full report. Sorry you got covid - thank goodness it wasn't when you were out there like you say! xx
Thanks so much Kate, glad you enjoyed the Instagram spam and yes, so grateful we got home as planned xx
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Briggykins View Post
Can I ask how old your girls were then? We're taking a 9 and an 11 year old and were torn between doing Universal and Disney. Eventually we picked Universal mainly for HP and the Simpsons, but I'm still not sure we've made the right choice (tho it's too late to do anything about it now!)
They were 5 and 4, and quite a scaredy 5 year old at that! So they weren’t tall enough for a lot of things and we couldn’t even convince the eldest to ride SpiderMan.

For a 9 and 11 year old I think you absolutely made an excellent choice…ours were loving it by 7 and 6 . When we first went there was no Diagon Alley or even Simpsons Land (although the ride was there) and obviously no Gringotts, Hagrid’s, Transformers, Jimmy Fallon, Bourne or Velocicoaster.

Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are just magical for HP fans, I cried the first two times we went to Diagon Alley 😳. The theming, dining, shops and the interactive wand experiences are great, and the Harry Potter rides are excellent.

I would absolutely have also chosen Universal over Disney in your position, it’s just more relaxing and I’m sure you’ll all have an amazing time 😊.

Originally Posted by Shifu View Post
Wow, you braved it!
We wimped out and cancelled our Christmas holiday.
Great to read your highs and lows and your enthusiasm for the Poly. I’ve gone the other way around to you funnily enough 😂… used to stay at the Poly, but recently discovered the Yacht Club! I do love the sounds and smells of the Poly though, the crickets, the lizards in the bushes and the torch lit evenings.
Haven’t experienced the Hagrid ride yet, will make a note.
Great reading- thank you.
Some great feedback from you in things I’ve not tried.

Hope all is well now and you are getting to be more like your ‘old self’ again 🙂
Totally understandable that you cancelled your Christmas trip…I came home with covid after all 😂. Oh yes, the sounds and smells of the Poly are just lovely and I’m really pleased because I managed to catch some availability for our August trip last week so we’re now booked to return. So we’ll do half Poly and half Yacht Club as they are both beautiful hotels with lots of benefits (as you know!)

Definitely recommend Hagrid’s, it really is a great ride! And I’m glad you’ve been able to pick up some tips from what I’ve said.

I’m feeling much better now thank you .

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Have you even been to Disney if you haven’t been to blaze? 😂 ha, accurate.

Really interesting to read your highs and lows. AK on Christmas Day sounds like so much more of a chilled experience and sounds lovely.

Cannot wait to ride Hagrids! Hopefully next year if we do Universal. You’ve made me a bit unsure again saying it wasn’t as family friendly when your girls were younger. All my memories are from
Being a teenager really too! But hoping to do Grinchmass and find enough to do for the kids to fulfil my need for Harry Potter. Did you see the castle show?

Poly sounds like a dream. One day when the kids are a bit older I think as we currently find sharing a room with them too hard work and are option for 1 bedroom options in May. Walking to MK sounds like a dream! Plus the pool and Ohana… amazing.

Can’t wait to get stuck in and read all about it xx
Yes a trip to Blaze is a must-do for Disney Springs .

We loved Animal Kingdom on Christmas Day and if we were to go back over Christmas I would definitely do it that way again.

I think Universal would still be worth it for you despite there being not as many family friendly rides as Magic Kingdom but I may be a bit biased because of how much I love Universal! There’s probably slightly more for younger children to do than there was 10 years ago, especially if it was Christmas with Grinchmas. The castle show was really lovely, and there’s the interactive wand experiences in both Harry Potter areas that might appeal to the little ones too.

At the end of the day Hagrid’s is worth going for at least for one day! And as I’ve said many times, just the relaxed feel at Universal is just a nice break from all the planning and staring at your phone at Disney.

Absolutely…put the Poly on the bucket list for a few years time, it honestly did feel like a dream staying there and leaving the resort was the saddest part of coming home day for me. I didn’t make it to O’hana in the end as you’ll see in the report but Mat and Seren did, and when we go back in August I will definitely be putting that right!

Thanks for the lovely comments as always xx.

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Love a warts and all trip report. Sounds like a fab trip, hope covid doesn't linger too long.
Thank you . Mat and I are feeling much better now thanks and the girls seem to have dodged covid 🤞🏻.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List