Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Jan 22, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
GF Studio lake view or Polynesian Studio lake view

Hi guys!

We have a DVC rental voucher to use and are hoping to use it for a 7 night stay at either GF or Poly this summer (our first week will probably be at a value resort).

We stayed at the Poly (in a standard view non-DVC room) in 2019 and LOVED it. We've never stayed at the GF but have visited it several times to dine at the restaurants and love the vibe there and Andy and I have always wanted to stay there. Our girls prefer the theming at the Poly and aren't as keen on the GF but I just thought it would be great to experience at least once.

We've had a look at some recent YouTube videos and if I understand correctly (most / all?) of the Poly rooms have had a soft furnishings refurb now and have the double Murphy bed which we really liked the look of and the GF studios haven't had their refurb yet and all looked a little more tired and just had sofa beds (carpets and sofas etc a little worn and stained by the looks of things)

So, our thoughts are either:

- Poly lake view 7 nights
- GF lake view 7 nights
- Split stay (4 then 3 or 3 then 4 but not sure which hotel first)

For reference we have stayed at ASMo, POR, SSR, BWV, BCV, AKL, Poly, BLT and WL in the past and have done split stays.

Would love your opinions on which you would book and why?

Are there any particular advantages / disadvantages of either / things to consider when putting in a room request?

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 10:08 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

They are currently doing the soft refurb of VGF to have the same murphy beds. Not sure on the completion date though.

I MUCH prefer the Poly as a resort and also the room theming, but if GF is on the bucket list and you have the chance of a new room, I would go for it. At least as a split stay.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 22, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Have stayed in both and if it’s for the view definitely GF. Poly was a waste of points first a lake view as all we could see was the bungalows.
Old 5 Jan 22, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I love the theming & feel at The Poly, just feel it’s the DVC resort that got everything right. Saying that though, I’d most likely pick GF for the walk way to MK, priceless IMO.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Poly has 2 bathrooms and is a larger room. I’d usually say Poly because of that (although VGF has the interconnecting bathroom so is nearly as good on bathrooms). However, VGF will have had its soft goods refurb finished in the next few months (they are well on with it and want it finished quickly for the new VGF DVC sale starting any day) and so there will never be a better time to stay at VGF in my opinion. It will have the new beds which are very popular and going in all DVC on refurb (apart from OKW where it wasn’t possible).
I walked the new GF path from MK the other week. It’s a bonus. I don’t like the monorail it’s way too slow unloading etc and busy. I’d use the path. But it’s quite a walk. About 15 mins it takes, it’s much further than, say, walking across to BLT. You can access it via Poly also, but you have to walk from Poly through Grand Floridian adding another 10 mins possibly.

Edited at 09:32 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I love the Poly, but as you’ve not stayed at GF I would pick there

My only thought is, how old are your girls now? In my head they are quite young still but if they are in the teenager stage, the second bathroom in the Poly could make everything easier!
Old 5 Jan 22, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I’ve stayed at both and prefer the Poly. The rooms have a lot more storage and the quick and easy walk to the TTC for the monorail to Epcot is brilliant. When we stayed at VGF, we ended up taking the car to Epcot as it took ages on the monorail.
Old 5 Jan 22, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
They are currently doing the soft refurb of VGF to have the same murphy beds. Not sure on the completion date though.

I MUCH prefer the Poly as a resort and also the room theming, but if GF is on the bucket list and you have the chance of a new room, I would go for it. At least as a split stay.
Thank you so much that's helpful

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
Have stayed in both and if it’s for the view definitely GF. Poly was a waste of points first a lake view as all we could see was the bungalows.
Thank you - ah OK yes good point - I wonder if you can put in a request for top floor when renting DVC (although I appreciate it wouldn't be guaranteed) Thank you

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I love the theming & feel at The Poly, just feel it’s the DVC resort that got everything right. Saying that though, I’d most likely pick GF for the walk way to MK, priceless IMO.
Thank you - yep absolutely gorgeous resort. The walk does sound super useful.

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Poly has 2 bathrooms and is a larger room. I’d usually say Poly because of that (although VGF has the interconnecting bathroom so is nearly as good on bathrooms). However, VGF will have had its soft goods refurb finished in the next few months (they are well on with it and want it finished quickly for the new VGF DVC sale starting any day) and so there will never be a better time to stay at VGF in my opinion. It will have the new beds which are very popular and going in all DVC on refurb (apart from OKW where it wasn’t possible).
I walked the new GF path from MK the other week. It’s a bonus. I don’t like the monorail it’s way too slow unloading etc and busy. I’d use the path. But it’s quite a walk. About 15 mins it takes, it’s much further than, say, walking across to BLT. You can access it via Poly also, but you have to walk from Poly through Grand Floridian adding another 10 mins possibly.
Thank you for your helpful reply - didn't realise it'll be done before we go - that will be great then.

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I love the Poly, but as you’ve not stayed at GF I would pick there

My only thought is, how old are your girls now? In my head they are quite young still but if they are in the teenager stage, the second bathroom in the Poly could make everything easier!
Thank you They're 11 and 13 now so that's a consideration too I guess!

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I’ve stayed at both and prefer the Poly. The rooms have a lot more storage and the quick and easy walk to the TTC for the monorail to Epcot is brilliant. When we stayed at VGF, we ended up taking the car to Epcot as it took ages on the monorail.
Thank you that's really helpful

bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Thank you everyone - have replied individually above - really helpful replied and I think we are leaning towards a split stay now so we can experience both So excited I may finally be booking! Thanks again!