Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 14 Jan 22, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

When you connect to internet your PC/ ipad etc is given a unique identifier called an "IP address"

This is a short series of digits that looks like 255.255.255.6 type of thing

Those IP addresses are registered to people like your ISP so when you connect to the internet via Sky (for example) you will be given a Sky owned IP address.

There are registers of who owns these addresses and it is quite easy for someone to setup web pages that do not allow UK owned IP addresses, to access their pages.

If you connect via a VPN, they sort of give you on of thier IP address while connected to the internet, and they have groups of IP addresses registered in many countries, so if you say you want to appear you are in the USA, they give you a USA registered IP address.

This is a very very very very basic explanation of how it works, it is actually no where near as basic as I made it sound (techies who know about this thing will be twitching at what I have typed! ) and it is often more than just your IP address that needs to be changed, but it gives you a basic idea. For example even if you have a US registered IP address, there are other ways someone can know you are not in the US - it just depends on how much effort they ant to put in to keeping you out!

A good VPN will cover these different "how to appear in US" options for you and just ... .work.

Edited at 01:51 PM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

TunnelBear has a great free VPN option that allows unpaid users to use 500MB per month, which is perfect for testing TunnelBear out. The free data will renew monthly on the anniversary of your account creation. They have an app in the app sotre and a simple map of the world interface, and the free data should let you do what you want to do.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Keep an eye on Quidco. I got Nord VPN a few weeks ago. £72 for a 3 year contract.

However I got 100% cashback from Quidco albeit they don't cover the VAT element.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 02:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Get Nord with TopCashBack or whatever. Do a search on Google for offers. I think I paid £50 for 3 years or something. It’s well worth it. I’ve had quite a few, it’s easily the best. You just switch it on and off on the app, and select country etc.
Is this worldwide YT? I also use one in Europe for UK sites and I’m fed up of watching ads to get the free ones 😂
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I use Nord VPN (a paid service but see Tom’s post above). After I log into the app I just click on whichever country I want and I’m connected in seconds. Their list of countries is extensive - I attach screen prints of the first and last pages to give an idea of the range of countries.

ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I use Nord VPN (a paid service but see Tom’s post above). After I log into the app I just click on whichever country I want and I’m connected in seconds. Their list of countries is extensive - I attach screen prints of the first and last pages to give an idea of the range of countries.

Thanks Linda x
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I have Ultimate VPN which was recommended by a few people on here. It's free and does the job perfectly. There is an option to upgrade to a paid version but I don't see the need for it for myself.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
donna252
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
When you connect to internet your PC/ ipad etc is given a unique identifier called an "IP address"

This is a short series of digits that looks like 255.255.255.6 type of thing

Those IP addresses are registered to people like your ISP so when you connect to the internet via Sky (for example) you will be given a Sky owned IP address.

There are registers of who owns these addresses and it is quite easy for someone to setup web pages that do not allow UK owned IP addresses, to access their pages.

If you connect via a VPN, they sort of give you on of thier IP address while connected to the internet, and they have groups of IP addresses registered in many countries, so if you say you want to appear you are in the USA, they give you a USA registered IP address.

This is a very very very very basic explanation of how it works, it is actually no where near as basic as I made it sound (techies who know about this thing will be twitching at what I have typed! ) and it is often more than just your IP address that needs to be changed, but it gives you a basic idea. For example even if you have a US registered IP address, there are other ways someone can know you are not in the US - it just depends on how much effort they ant to put in to keeping you out!

A good VPN will cover these different "how to appear in US" options for you and just ... .work.
Thanks for taking time to explain! I’m sure techies will be twitching more at my questions 🙈🤣
AoA/RPROct 2014, New York Aug 2015, SSR/Cabana Bay/RPR/Poly March 2016, DLP June 2016, Las Vegas March 2017, DLP July 2017, Vero beach/Yacht Club Oct 2017, DLP March 2018, Dubai April 2018, New York Dec 2018, DLP July 2019, Lapland Dec 2019, Dubai Aug 2022, Disney Magic Sept 2022, Dubai Oct 2022, RPR/AKL/Coronado springs/Contemporary April 2022Lapland Jan 2023, New York, Vero beach, Yacht club and Wilderness Lodge Aug 2023
donna252 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List