Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Sep 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
waylander
Looking for my Ears

On-way rental

Hi all,

we're looking to spend 2 weeks in the US later in the year, 1 week in Orlando and 1 undetermined but finishing in DC. I've been advised that one-way car hire may incur extra charges not shown in the initial pricing, and these charges can be quite painful .

The obvious first question is if all car-hire companies do charge this "one-way fee" (or was this a travel agent CBA to investigate situation)? Naturally, this question could have a significant knock-on effect on the below...

Currently, we're vacillating between the following 2 options:

1 - end of week one drive from Orlando to DC via Savannah which should be 12/13 hours in total so not really an issue but of a fun road-trip (driven to Venice and Austria before).
2 - end of week one fly to DC and spend a week in DC with no car.

Option 2 has an advantage of spending more time in DC, however, at the expense of no car and flight costs, but plenty of time to 'do' DC.
Option 1 is more fun (no kids so "are we there yet?" isn't an issue) but potentially more expensive. Savannah is lovely and there'd be the option of seeing the Smokey Mountains and then 2/3 days in DC.
waylander is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A ball park figure is $400 to $500 for a 1 way drop.

Have you thought about the train? That could be nice.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Hard to disagree with above.
A cheap alternative is 50 bucks each on greyhound.
Enjoy however you plan.
Old 17 Sep 18, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
waylander
Looking for my Ears

thanks for the input there, much appreciated. I did wonder if I just wasn't seeing something - obviously I was!

I must admit I'd not thought of a train journey before and while it won't be on this holiday it is now an idea for a future trip (not hurt by my fond memories of the film Silver Streak!) so thanks for that
waylander is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We are doing New Orleans to Orlando next year with a car which incurs a one way fee.

We priced up flights at £1,700 and car hire was working out around £1,000 with the one way fee for the 3 week hire (ouch)

BA custom flydrive holidays are looking at around £1,800 for both flights and full car hire including the one way fee, all insurances etc.

Obviously we are too early to book actual dates yet, all above done on dummy low season dates to get an idea.

Worth a look

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I love Washington DC but it is not car friendly. Quite unfriendly and parking is a nightmare. You can also pick up pretty inexpensive shuttles.

I think 2-3 days it not nearly enough time to even get a feel for the city. Most museums are worth a day and there are lots of other things to do.

If you decide to go by train, check out what train you will be on and how it is. I have taken Acela from NY to Boston as well as the regular train. Acela is beautiful with large, clean bathrooms and worth the extra ($15. IIRC). Regular service is fine for 3 hours but not sure I'd want 12 or more on it. I have never taken the train south of NYC and I know the auto train is popular.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List