Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Sep 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jomarise
Getting Excited

Best option for money

We have saved quite a bit of money in our change pot (probably around £600-£700) What is the best way to use this for holiday spending money?

Is it change it to dollars at post office?

or is it better to put in bank and use credit card to take money out and pay it straight off. We just got a Clarity card but not sure on what that costs to take money out.

Are there any options. Thanks
jomarise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

We leave our money in the bank, spend on credit card, pay off when we get home.

Have not needed to withdraw on our Clarity card at all - everything on card - but if you felt need to draw dollars, interest fee is small (make sure use an ATM that doesn't charge a fee though - Wawa garage are good).

Exchange rate likely to be better using card than changing your cash to dollars.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

Just got back. I took $250 in cash and used my Halifax clarity credit card for the rest. Before we went I paid £2,000 into my card so it was in credit. Payments show quickly through the app and it also shows pending payments so it’s easy to keep track.

On returning I owed the card £330 which I paid from my savings. Got a great exchange rate and no charges.

Edited at 06:07 PM.
philinmerthyr is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jomarise
Getting Excited

Fantastic, thank you both. I shall use the card and get a small amount of cash. Thanks again
jomarise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We use our Clarity card too. When I have withdrawn cash I have gone on to my banking app and paid it on the same day. I don’t think the interest would be much anyway even if you waited until you were home. The Clarity card is always the best exchange rate I can find.
I am sure that pre loading a credit card would be breaking the terms and conditions of the card.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
For info, over paying your Halifax card is a breach of their terms and conditions so I am not sure this is a good idea. They might over look it once but I am sure something will be said.
Old 17 Sep 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimedream
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi we have bn wondering the same thing as clarity is best but shame can't lock it in as might go down more when we go?
firsttimedream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Up until this year I have just used Halifax Clarity and paid it off when home, however we were offsite for the first time in June, and the $ was fluctuating so much, I got a FairFX card and every time $ hit $1.40, I topped up $100. I was so glad I did as the rate had dropped to $1.28 by the time we went (even lower some days!), so I certainly got more for my money with the FairFX.
We go again in July and I'm planning on doing the same again on that trip, although at the moment there's no sign of $1:40!
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List