Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Levels - amount of work?

Just wondering how many hours your year 13 (I think that is the right year - upper sixth to us parents...) have in lessons each week and at the beginning of the year how much they are working at home (out of interest really as we are in the French system!)

DS has about 30h of lessons a week - 9h of maths, 5h-6h of Biology and of Physics-Chemistry then the rest is made up of History/Geography, English, Spanish and Philosophy. As from October, he will also have 4h exams on a Saturday morning

Since they started back, he has been working about 2-3h of an evening and 5-6h yesterday and today.

Poor lad is taking it well and we are making sure he is getting out and having some fun! It is a lot more than I remember to have to do back in the 80s!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Bangkok - All by myself!
Old 16 Sep 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jdndt
Excited about Disney

My ds is in year 12 and is taught 13/14 lessons a week (3 A levels) out of a 25 lesson timetable. It's a 2 week timetable and he gets 9 hours per subject a fortnight.
jdndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First trip to Anaheim
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TheDisneyCouple
VIP Dibber

That does sound like a lot. When I did my sixth form years I had four subjects in year 12 (English Literature, Art, History and ICT) and three subjects in year 13. We were advised to drop a subject but were allowed to do four if we wished.

We had Wednesday afternoons off. However there were strict requirements for work outside of lesson time. We did not go into college at all on weekends.

That was at a high performing college .

Why is your son doing so many subjects?
TheDisneyCouple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
His 1st - My 4th - 4 weeks of Paradise
TheDisneyCouple is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Listener
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Crikey thats a lot of work and subjects . We are 3 a levels max at our college . 15.5 hrs per week tutor time the rest is personal study .
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
4th visit but 1st attempt at DIY :-0
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Is he doing Alevels or International Baccalaureate?
Cause that sounds like far too much for Alevels, but about right for IB from what Ive heard of it!
2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Plotting the next adventure:...
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Dd does 3 A Levels and studies for around 3-4 hours each night and more at weekend. However she is at a very high achieving college and is very focused on A*'s.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I'm so excited...and I just cant hide it
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

It is neither the IB nor A-levels. It is the usual French Baccalaureate (in French ). He is doing the Science option which is the most difficult but the one that gives the most options. They have little choice once they choose which Bac to do (Science, Economics or Litterature). History/geography, two foreign languages and Philosophy are compulsory. He took his French exams in June (as do all the kids) and the results for these count towards the final result!

Admittedly his Lyce is one of the best in the department and they push them hard so the Saturday exams is not the norm. But they get the results! And the staff are excellent - very child focused!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Bangkok - All by myself!
Old 21 Sep 18, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jamieolivia15
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I done 3 subjects in year 13 that had 12 hours each contact time in school, then were advised to do an extra 4 hours of each topic in the week and work in the weekend. It is a lot of work to do in A levels but its worth it.
jamieolivia15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sun, sea and relax