Notices

Old 23 Sep 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
debidee
Dibbing with Tink

LIVE - Animal Kingdom Lodge and winging it! Travel Day

So it was as expected a ridiculously early wake up - I made it until 2.30am awesome! But hey it is holiday time so who cares!

We only live about 30 mins from the airport, the flight wasn't until 8am so we left at 6... funny story - Jez left his wallet at home! Sooooo we then had a stressful wait for our friends who were leaving a bit later to go grab it before joining us! Oh I forgot to mention we are on holiday with our lovely neighbors (Becca, Jay and Elijah) and Becca parents (Jackie and Mo). They are all staying at shades of green but we will be meeting up each day to hang out and explore the magic!

By the time we were through security we only had about 20 mins to boarding so just enough time for a coffee and snack from Dunkin Donuts sandwich

We fly southwest which is direct and just under 3 hours. It it self seating but we were on the plane in group A so no issues!

The flight passed quickly playing cards

And of course taking selfies with our ears!

We landed at 11am and I love as it's an internal flight it's just down to collect our luggage and then leave!
We say goodbye to our friends and collect our car and decide on lunch! We settle on sweet tomatoes. It is a firm favorite and located at crossroads, it's a salad buffet but so much more with fresh breads, soups, pasta and ice cream!

We load up and enjoy! Normally I would have signed up in advance and got a discount coupon but not this time, including drinks it was $28 for both

Of course saving a little room for ice cream! They have a machine and you can just help yourself with plenty of sauces and toppings!

Next stop was a nail bar, I've been in Germany for the last 5 weeks and my nails are so embarrassing I can't wait a moment longer! I now get the dipping powder which is kinder on the nails but not everywhere does this yet so I had done some research and found a place in Dr. Phillips
The place was amazing - literally every color under the sun! I settled on disney red - I don't have a photo as it's 2am and I don't think Jez is who is still snoring would appreciate me switching the light on for that ... so just imagine for now

Next stop was our home for the next 8 nights - animal kingdom lodge. We have stayed onsite a few times before - Old Key West, Saratoga Springs and Art of Animation but not AKL. It is a beautiful resort and reminds me of our time on safari in Kenya!

We were allocated a room on the ground floor right next to the pool... which is actually shut at the moment for refurb, it would have been perfect as the 2nd pool is in the other section which is a fairly long walk away!
So whilst the room is beautiful it's more of a family suite with bunk beds - so we decided to check at reception if they could switch us. After a couple of calls all sorted and we can move tomorrow... no issues for 1 night

We explored the grounds and it's stunning with wildlife literally everywhere

I love giraffes and they wander around freely and are really close to take pictures

By now it's 4.30pm and I'm seriously flagging with jet lag kicking in big time, the plan was to spend the evening shopping and exploring Disney springs... it's all decorated for fall and looks super cute!

We didn't make it to the stores as i just wanted my bed! So decided to head straight for our dining reservation instead

We had picked Raglan Road - we have been here a few times previously and enjoyed it so even though we were a little early they had no issue seating us sooner

The server joked and said we had the best table in the house, I laughed thinking I bet they say that to everyone but no we honestly did! This table was in amongst the standard ones but had this huge comfy chairs! I was literally ready to take off my shoes and curl up and sleep on it!

I went for the shepherds pie - was delicious

Jez had the salmon

No desert got me but Jez had the raspberry Eton mess

It was now nearly 6pm and we headed back to AKL - the rest I can't tell you as I fell into bed and now here I am at 2.30am bright eyed and ready to go!
Today is another easy day, I've booked a massage at 11am and we don't really have a lot more on the agenda, no parks until tomorrow so we can just relax a bit before the full on! Hope you can join us later... Debs xx

Ps - seriously impressive range on products in the bathroom!

debidee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by debidee - 23 Sep 18 7:44 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Great start. The joy of an internal flight as opposed to the long haul from the UK. Enjoy your vacation!
Old 23 Sep 18, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good travel day I would love a 3 hour flight th Orlando.
Your food looks lovely as does AKL.
Enjoy your massage today
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A great start, apart from the wallet issue! not so great that jet lag has kicked in. I hope you managed to get a bit more sleep before our day begins.
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
twinkleshmoo
Very Serious Dibber

Hey Debbie you're finally there! So happy for you, enjoy every minute and have a relaxing day today with your massage xx
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

A fantastic travel day apart from the wallet, great that your friends were able to get it for you.

We just returned from AKL at the end of August and seeing your photo of the mat was enough to make me want to be back even before the lovely animal photos.

Looking forward to the rest of the trip, enjoy!

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

You’re making me proper excited for our visit to AKL next year!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Woo hoo a new trip!

What is the dipping powder? Not heard of this
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good travel day you did so well doing what you did when feeling jet lagged

Joan