Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 Sep 18, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa
Excited about Disney

Mobile Renting DVC points - reliable ? Effective?

Hi ...this is a new concept to me and I feel a bit nervous about possibly renting points ...do you have any advice or experience - good or bad ? And us it really cost effective ? I'd love to stay in the boardwalk area (beach club prob my ideal) end of next August ... 3 adults
I'd really welcome your insights ...thank you
Lisa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It’s a private transaction so there is a risk. You need to trust the person you are renting from. There are company’s that will act as a broker to reduce the risk.

It is definitely cost effective. Much cheaper for the Boardwalk or beach club but you are getting a studio apartment rather than a hotel room. It’s a double bed and a sofa bed. Not two doubles.

So it depends if that works for your party.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Mobile

I love the DVC accommodation vs the normal hotel room more spacious. When we have rented out our points we have done it through an agent as it depersonalises it. It’s very straightforward.
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We rented points this year for a 2 night stay at Bay Lake Tower. We rented through an agent and the whole process was really easy. In terms of cost savings, we effectively got 2 nights for the same price as 1 if booked through Disney - definitely worked out good for us. Wouldn’t hesitate in renting again.
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve rented 3 times from someone on the Dibb each time. Every renter had slightly different ways of doing things but it was all very straightforward. On one occasion the renter knew in advance they were renting out the following years points and I was able to secure what I needed by paying a small deposit. The balance was then payable when she booked the room. All transactions were through Paypal and I was sent the booking reference straight away so I could link to MDE. I only rented for a few nights though and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing it that way for two weeks unless it was one of the people I rented from before. What I would say if you rent on here is make sure it’s someone who has been a member for years, posts regularly and can give references if necessary. I didn’t ask for references as I didn’t feel the need but would be happy to provide them if the renters I used asked.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

We’ve used DVC rental store twice now, just booked 4 nights at VGF with them for next May, it’s very easy their customer service is fantastic and it’s half the price of booking direct with Disney although you can’t get the free ddp but that’s fine for us as we have it at OKW for our first 9 nights, with dvc rental store you pay about 50% initially then the remainder 45 days before you go x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We’ve rented out our points several times now. Yes it’s a private transaction between the owner and renter but the risk is a 2 way street. For example, if I rented points out and someone causes damage to the room then the blame will lay with me, not the renter.

Private rentals ask for diff payment menthods. I will make the reservation and request payment in full within 48 hours of providing the booking ref. So far I’ve never had any issues renting but then I would only rent to someone on the Dibb who had a good posting history.

With regards to whether it’s cost effective you’ve only got to get a quote from Disney to see that it most definitely is, usually works out at around 1/3 of the cost.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Hi ...this is a new concept to me and I feel a bit nervous about possibly renting points ...do you have any advice or experience - good or bad ? And us it really cost effective ? I'd love to stay in the boardwalk area (beach club prob my ideal) end of next August ... 3 adults
I'd really welcome your insights ...thank you
DH and I stayed onsite for the first time ever this past summer for a week at Beach Club. We booked through Daves DVC. Got a studio, exactly what we wanted. Easy process. I would recommend them if that's what you want to do. Below is a bit of a ramble, just what we experienced on our one time only stay onsite.

A lot of research went into our stay. I joined touring plans and looked at views etc, so put in a request and got nowhere. Waste of money. I think it's your pot luck with room request. The view was of the parking lot and a scrub land with a waterway and part of the quiet pool. We were the farthest from the main hotel lobby bar one room where you fill up your refillable cups which was a real pain. Because we had a studio we didn't have a washing machine/dryer and had to use the DVC one, which was the far away, again. The room only had 2 machines and one was out of order our whole stay. So we had to watch and wait on someone elses washing and even then there was sometimes someone else waiting to use the machine and we would have to go and physically sit in the room and wait. One time my DH sat waiting for the machine to finish when the person who was using the machine came back to get his washing out and apologised because he had another load to do. Someone told him that they had had to use the machine at 2 in the morning as that was the only time it was available. Our room was okay but not luxurious in any way. The furniture was badly scuffed. Our veranda was tiny. We only used the quiet pool one day as there is no bar, no drinks whatsover so you have to either go back to your room or head to the refillable machine in the main reception. They should at least have a refillable machine there.

We enjoyed the main pool, the close proximity to Epcot and the Boardwalk even though we were the furthest room from these. All we seemed to do was walk, walk, walk. More so than when we have stayed in a villa. I'm so glad I scratched that itch to stay onsite. Will never do it again. Very expensive for what it is IMHO.

It's a shame actually because it's kind of put me of Disney, which is something I never thought I'd say. It was like you were never out of the bubble even though we had a couple of days out elsewhere. I was really fed up of our room and couldn't wait to leave and head to HRH at Universal.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Often do it! Rented from owners here on the Dibb and used Davids dvc Rentals too. Usually save at least half on Disney’s posted dates.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

There is actually a post currently on the DVC rental that a dibber has pts for sale so that’s an option or rent through Dave’s

Edited at 10:10 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List