Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Jul 15, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Pinning for the Fjords - Day 4 Alesund

Before day 4 we had seen on the stateroom TV "shopping guide" Gemma trying to sell Alesund as the shopping day for the cruise, this was a broadcast of the session she had done in Fathoms on the Sea day, but when the Port Shopping guide arrived it had 2 locations and one of those was on a different island and you had to take a ferry to get there. Glad we were not looking for any shopping on this trip, just the normal tacky souvenirs.

We had a normal morning routine, breakfast in Cabana's as the ship docked into Alesund. Then down to Fathoms to check in for our Highlights tour of Alesund. This comprised of a Bus ride up to Fjellstua for some great views of the town, the Fjords and the Ship below.

Then we headed to the local outdoor museum which had examples of local houses through the centuries, Our guide was knowledgeable and helped fill in the way that the old Norwegians used to live. As the tour came to an end we saw more and more locals in national dress and it was explained that the whole museum was being closed just after we leave for another tour from the ship to arrive for a full Frozen gathering.

At the end of the tour we did have some time to explore and we spent most of the time in the boat store which had examples of old fishing boats ranging from viking style to more modern options and included a small boat that was used during the 2nd World war to transport 6 men and 1 woman from Norway to Shetlands to avoid the Nazi occupation.

After this we re-boarded the bus for a tour of down-town Alesund and were returned to the Ship just in time for Lunch. so to save some money we went up to Cabana's grabbed some lunch and then headed back out for a stroll around Alesund, It is Tiny and in less than an hour we had had enough but had seen a lovely Art Nouveau car park.

We had just missed the Chocolate and Liquor tasting but Celia was looking at the Pilates class at 4pm, so we headed to the Gym as I would have a work out at the same time, BUT when we got to the Senses spa we noticed that on the Spa guide 4pm was Footprint analysis and Pilates was at 5pm, whereas the personal navigator had them the other way around. So I started my workout whilst Celia waited to find out which would take precedence. Sadly it was the Footprint, which I could overhear and it seemed to be showing how to get a good presenting footprint by posture. "Personal Trainer" Gemma was rude to Celia saying that the Pilates was always at 5 and insinuating that she had misread the navigator. But on the first day we had been told to always trust the printed navigator as that was always updated (and on the Fantasy we had had 2 navigators delivered one day as the 2nd had corrections)

Celia taken aback by a rude CM went off to Guest Services whilst I was still exercising and had not seen what had happened, I continued to workout till 5pm and then realised that she was not coming back for the Pilates class that was now starting so headed back to the State room to find her.

Guest Services had been helpful ish and said that the SPA manager would make contact, which they did the following day and offered us a free one day pass to the Rainforest room which was scheduled for the last "at sea" day.

Joined back together and after a quick shower we made it to the Villains Tonight show which was fun and very well done, after the show we headed to O'Gills for Villains quotes trivia we did OK (about 25/50) but some others were right up at 50/50 but it seems they had been on Back 2 Back 2 Back cruises so we think they had had the same quiz 3 times by this stage.

After this we headed to Dinner, back at Carioca's tonight, but a real cut down table as Steph and Adam were going to Palo, and Lillian and Alex were watching a presentation about Geiranger so it was just us and Sam & Aaron, but they did bring a gift as I had been having a beer with each evening meal they thought I would appreciate the local brews.

got to love the name of the one on the right.

By this time I was increasing the number of desserts so went for a couple tonight.

Celia's meal was acceptable tonight and she did get a dessert, not as good as last nights chocolate but better than what was to come...

After Dinner off to Fathoms again for the late night show, this time a Ventriloquist Paul Zerdin, which we felt we had seen before. But his show could just be similar to other ventriloquists.

returning to the room we did have Celia's favourite of the towel animals, the Monkey.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 15, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm surprised there isn't more of a 'frozen theme' being taken advantage of here? Surely this is the cruise for them to go all out on?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 15, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Gotta love the monkey!

What a shame about the rude CM. Glad they tried to make it up to you though.

Looks like you had a nice trip out. Art Deco car parks, eh? An idea for Disney Springs perhaps!

Glad to hear you did well on the quiz, as I know we're both pretty hot quizzers...!

Paul Zerdin is quite famous, he used to be on TV quite often a few years back.

EDIT: and he's just won America's Got Talent apparently!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14

Edited at 06:43 AM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 16, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Enjoying catching up with this again. Alesund looks pretty.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List