Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile Our Labrador had a seizure today

Quite possibly one of the most frightening things I have ever witnessed.
One minute he was absolutely fine and his usual bonkers self the next he lost all control of his limbs and was thrashing about, couldn’t open his mouth and couldn’t retain eye contact. It lasted about 10 minutes but felt much longer.
Called the emergency vet who I’m not sure could understand me through my hysterical crying but told me to bring him in straight away. I’m very thankful my 2 kids were with me as they helped get him in the car and sit with him in between them whilst I drove. They were both as distressed as I was bless them. It was typical my OH was playing golf in Hertfordshire an hour away!
My daughter finally managed to get through to him so he made the mad dash around the M25 to the Medivets in Richmond.
Once we arrived at the vets he was completely back to normal! They seem to think it may be epilepsy but have given him a blood test to rule out a liver problem first. If that comes back clear then it will be an MRI to investigate further.
Any dog owners on here had similar happen to their furry friends?
Some pixie dust for Boris would be amazing, he’s feeling very sorry for himself at the moment

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Poor Boris and poor you! So scary for you both, here's hoping it was a one off. Sending pixie dust to him and Molly (my lab) sends big bounces.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes one of my labs has them now. The vet thinks twinkly Xmas lights started them off/triggered them several years ago. He can go for months then have one then months again till the next one. We’ve found if he gets too excited playing with kids or chasing a ball or a fright, they can all trigger one. Vet won’t medicate as he doesn’t have them often enough but that’s under 6 month reviews. They are horrible and it can take him an hour or so to ‘come back to us’.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Poor Boris and poor you! So scary for you both, here's hoping it was a one off. Sending pixie dust to him and Molly (my lab) sends big bounces.
Thank you! We too are hoping its a one off, I feel scared leaving him now just in case

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
Yes one of my labs has them now. The vet thinks twinkly Xmas lights started them off/triggered them several years ago. He can go for months then have one then months again till the next one. We’ve found if he gets too excited playing with kids or chasing a ball or a fright, they can all trigger one. Vet won’t medicate as he doesn’t have them often enough but that’s under 6 month reviews. They are horrible and it can take him an hour or so to ‘come back to us’.
That's interesting to read. The vet didn't say anything like that but my son was playing with him moments before it happened. As a typical lab he does get very hyped up
Apparently seizures are very common in labs which is the first I had ever heard until today. They really are horrible to witness, I thought we were losing him at one point

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

One of our Weis had just one fit as a puppy no more in 14 years we had her
Hopefully it's a one of
Hugs to Boris
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry to hear this, hopefully a one off but don't worry if he has more he can still live a good life!

We had a Dalmatian who started having fits when she was about 5. Diagnosed with epilepsy and vet started giving her medication after having several. Just be aware to keep them in a calm quiet are after, it is very scary. With the tablets the fits pretty much stopped, only returning a few months before she passed ( brain tumour). She lived to be 13 - a good age for a Dalmatian.

Apart from having to pay for medication each month it made no difference, she was fit, happy and active throughout.

Good luck and hope all is ok

Edited at 07:43 PM.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Sending Boris lots of pixie dust! Sounds scary, I hope you guys are all ok now.
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi

Ours had one a couple of years ago, it was really scary as it was in the middle of the night and we thought her thrashing was someone breaking in the house! She was growling afterwards (normally she doesn’t bark or growl) and wouldn’t let us near her it was as if she couldn’t see us and was scared of us.

We took her to the vet the next day when she had recovered and the vet was really good, said it is quite common for them to have random seizures and said for us to keep an eye on her. He didn’t start any treatment. She’s never had another one since
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

One of our Retrievers started to have fits when he was feeding. The vet couldn’t find out why so thinks that he gets so excited in the seconds before he eats that his brain basically shorts. We now spoon feed him and he hasn’t fitted in 5 years. It is really scary when it happens, so lots of pixie dust to you all.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List