Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh bless you and poor Boris. We had an epileptic dog and it frightens the life out of you.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nasty View Post
We have a black lab (she’s almost 14 now and blind and mostly deaf).

When she was younger she used to have episodes where she would suddenly loose all mobility and collapse. Her eyes would roll back and she would flop to the floor usually sideways. Scared the living daylights out of me I can tell you first few times it happened.

We had her to the vets several times but they couldn’t find anything wrong. It always happened after a sudden exertion for example chasing after her ball, or tearing to the front door to bark at the post man.

It was diagnosed as lack of oxygen to the brain at times of over excitement and we were advised to not get her over excited 🤨 which was easier said than done with a lab who lived to play ball! 😂😂

Funnily enough just the other day I was out walking her and a chap started up a conversation with me about his sisters lab who he’d been looking after, and the lab having a funny turn when seeing a cat in the garden and going crazy barking. Same thing, the lab had keeled over for a few minutes then was right as rain after.

I think it’s a common problem in this breed although no one seems to know why. As I say my old girl is still going semi strong! 😂 she only sleeps mostly now bless x
Its so scary isn't it? That's exactly what he was like, he repeatedly kept flopping sideways like he was drunk and had no strength in his legs!
Yes vet said it was a common problem in labs and retrievers, I wonder why?
14 is a fantastic age!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Oh bless you and poor Boris. We had an epileptic dog and it frightens the life out of you.
Thank you, it really did frighten the life out of us!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
I joined the Epileptic Canine Association and they were brilliant. They gave me so much advice reference food and what to avoid. Natural things you can do to help etc.

If you find it is epilepsy I will dig out my info for you

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you, it really did frighten the life out of us!
Did you have any strange weather today? Maxwell always had a fit when the weather was atmospheric.

Old 25 Feb 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I joined the Epileptic Canine Association and they were brilliant. They gave me so much advice reference food and what to avoid. Natural things you can do to help etc.

If you find it is epilepsy I will dig out my info for you
Oh thank you so much Sophie that's very kind. I'll keep this thread updated as I find out.

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Did you have any strange weather today? Maxwell always had a fit when the weather was atmospheric.
Not really strange weather just bloody freezing

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

I was at one of my accountancy clients Friday, they have 2 labs. One aged 2 was running about very strangely outside, i told my client and she popped out to check, next thing he falls to the floor having a fit. It was horrible, she was with him whilst i ran in the house to call her husband who luckily was working from home. They both rushed him to the vets. They weren't sure why it happened but told to keep a close eye on him for now. Very scary, he did get up and walk ok after 5 mins later and seemed ok after the vets but we were all worrierd. Hope your pooch is ok bless him . Pixie dust being thrown your way xxxx
Old 25 Feb 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
I was at one of my accountancy clients Friday, they have 2 labs. One aged 2 was running about very strangely outside, i told my client and she popped out to check, next thing he falls to the floor having a fit. It was horrible, she was with him whilst i ran in the house to call her husband who luckily was working from home. They both rushed him to the vets. They weren't sure why it happened but told to keep a close eye on him for now. Very scary, he did get up and walk ok after 5 mins later and seemed ok after the vets but we were all worrierd. Hope your pooch is ok bless him . Pixie dust being thrown your way xxxx
How awful, you just feel so helpless don't you? I hope your clients dog is ok, it sounds exactly the same.
Thank you!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our Staffie started having fits when he was 2years old not long after my husband died. Very frightening. He will be 12 in December. He's on long term medication for epilepsy we also have our "emergency" drugs for if he has a fit. We have nearly lost him because he wouldn't stop fitting the vet put him under anaesthetic twice to try and stop them and said after the 2nd one if he came round fitting he would have to be put to sleep. Luckily our boy fought back. I think his last fit was 2015 (fingers Xd) it costs a fortune in medication but it's worth it to keep them under control. He has occasional twitches.
My friends dog has just started having fits, sadly it looks like a brain tumour.
I hope you get good news about your pup. Sending love.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List