Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Sep 13, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Dicklett
Excited about Disney

Best Deck, location, cabin level and upgrades

Hi just booked for a 3 nighter on the Dream next November, never cruised before, have some reservations about it but mostly looking forward to it. My booking still allows me to change the cabin level and then select particular rooms etc, but was just wondering, how likely would a port upgrade be ? Im not sure whether to go with a lower spec cabin and then see about an upgrade at the port, ive read in a few places this is sometimes possible and works out cheaper, does anyone have any experience of this and if so what are the savings in comparison ? For the moment ive gone for deck 9, theres a chioce of a cabin at the back of the ship with no interconnecting doors so quieter, has a bigger balcony and views of castaway cay when dockeed, but ive read talk of horrible vibrations and soot, or there are same size cabins with standard veranda mid ship ... need advice and POV.

Thank you.
Dicklett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 13, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dicklett View Post
Hi just booked for a 3 nighter on the Dream next November, never cruised before, have some reservations about it but mostly looking forward to it. My booking still allows me to change the cabin level and then select particular rooms etc, but was just wondering, how likely would a port upgrade be ? Im not sure whether to go with a lower spec cabin and then see about an upgrade at the port, ive read in a few places this is sometimes possible and works out cheaper, does anyone have any experience of this and if so what are the savings in comparison ? For the moment ive gone for deck 9, theres a chioce of a cabin at the back of the ship with no interconnecting doors so quieter, has a bigger balcony and views of castaway cay when dockeed, but ive read talk of horrible vibrations and soot, or there are same size cabins with standard veranda mid ship ... need advice and POV.

Thank you.

Whilst the odd person is lucky with an upgrade I wouldn't bank on it and only book a room you are happy with an your cruise budget allows. Upgrades are in fact rare, and random, it's down to there operational needs not giving pixie dust as some think. A lot depends on when you cruise, how full that ship is, ie Christmas an Easter no chance of an upgrade, but at time when USA schools are in there is a small chance.

Location and deck is subjective and the main and only reason to book what you do book is how much you will be prepared to spend on the cruise.

I would nearly go as far as to say on a three night cruise location and room doesn't matter, the ships a great, the Dream is new, it has stabilisers to use, and you will only be in your room to sleep and dress. However avoid forward, aft, and any place near engines or clubs above or below.

For longer cruises yes location matters, it is subjective but with sea days a verandah is great.

I will only go on a loner cruise and only book a verandah as for us it's a must. Fresh air sea views, room service in your private area, somewhere to go when people dress or use the restroom bath or when the kids have an in room nap.

Aft on 9 is nice yes good views of castaway almost certain, aft might get some movement in and out of port or in a storm, but on the Dream as its do big there is Little movement. Midship is considered best, and a middle deck not close to the sea, vibration, or engines is the best.

In summary do not book any room that you wouldn't actually be prepared go use, upgrades occur but are rare, someone somewhere may get one, but someone will also win on the lottery. If you do not worry, or do not care, go for the cheapest room, if you expect an upgrade, don't do it.

Edited at 11:10 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 13, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I would disagree with the 'don't book below the clubs' opinion.

We have been under the nightclubs on 3 cruises and didn't hear a thing .. we love deck 2 as well which some people warn about. It really is personal choice .. we don't like midships as you have constant people traffic which can be bothersome (but then again may not be).

There's no good or bad, there's just personal opinions. What one person likes, another dislikes.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about having a great view of CC unless you're planning on not leaving the ship to actually visit CC. You're on the ship for such a short space of time and you're in your room even less.
Normally on the Dream, the oceanviews are the same price as the inside vitual portholes .. if this is the case, I'd go for an oceanview, uness I had small children then it'd be an inside for definite. The virtual portholes are awesome and with the room being so dark, the children normally sleep much better.

Incidentally, we had room 9670 on the Dream and it was huuuuuuuuge! There's some photos in a report in my signature below.

Whatever room you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Edited at 12:33 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 13, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
laalaa
Very Serious Dibber

I didn't know you could select deck & room? We are on the 3night on Dream & have been allocated room 7602. I have no idea where it is on the ship, apart from deck 7
Old 15 Sep 13, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Normally you select your room on booking, or you get a GTY, or very good rate and DCL chooses the room location and deck. Not sure of sny booking where you can select what you want!
Old 15 Sep 13, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

I have been known to change my own rooms on my booking 2 or 3 times before we go till I get what I want as there's always changes in what's available . It's very easy just log into your booking and do it yourself. We prefer mid ship , but we were quite far aft on the wonder and it was fine, but on the Fantasy we were on one of the extended verandas further aft and had to change after a night as the vibration really annoyed my hubby, and tbh my daughter an I felt a bit sick with it and went to bed early. When we moved there were 3 other lots of families moving because of the same issue so we were lucky to get moved as we had 2 rooms and were given connecting rooms mid ship on deck 9 instead.
It's totally personal but we like deck 9 as you only have a couple of flights of stairs to run up to get a soft drink or to go back and forth to the pool.
Lisa x
Old 15 Sep 13, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by LISAM View Post
I have been known to change my own rooms on my booking 2 or 3 times before we go till I get what I want as there's always changes in what's available . It's very easy just log into your booking and do it yourself. We prefer mid ship , but we were quite far aft on the wonder and it was fine, but on the Fantasy we were on one of the extended verandas further aft and had to change after a night as the vibration really annoyed my hubby, and tbh my daughter an I felt a bit sick with it and went to bed early. When we moved there were 3 other lots of families moving because of the same issue so we were lucky to get moved as we had 2 rooms and were given connecting rooms mid ship on deck 9 instead.
It's totally personal but we like deck 9 as you only have a couple of flights of stairs to run up to get a soft drink or to go back and forth to the pool.
Lisa x

Agree we like higher deck places for that reason.
Old 15 Sep 13, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm sure there is a site where cruisers can post their views of the cabins they've stayed in. However, I also go along with the view that the higher the deck the better, funds allowing.
Old 15 Sep 13, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Izzy123 View Post
I'm sure there is a site where cruisers can post their views of the cabins they've stayed in. However, I also go along with the view that the higher the deck the better, funds allowing.
Yes that's why they are more expensive.
Old 15 Sep 13, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
nigelp
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
Normally you select your room on booking, or you get a GTY, or very good rate and DCL chooses the room location and deck. Not sure of sny booking where you can select what you want!
if you haven't got a GTY or similar and the room you want is available then you can alter your booking to other rooms/categories and pay any difference up until final payment day.

A lot of people miss the fact that they can select rooms at booking as well - DCL will offer a room but you can always search for availability on a particular room as well. I find the DCL website isn't very clear sometimes but if you look hard it is there.
nigelp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread