Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Jul 15, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Pinning for the Fjords - Day 7 at Sea & Day 8 Copenhagen

Today was the last day on the Ship, and with a Sea day and feeling knackered at the end of a long week or early starts and lots of exercise, we turned off the alarms and slept in.
We finally got up around 9:30 and headed to Cabanas for breakfast, we had also decided to go with the express walk off tomorrow so we also grabbed some extra items to have the following day, which we took back down to the stateroom and hid in the fridge and cupboard.

The day was a lazy one, we grabbed a few last bits from the Stores, including a lovely set of gold coins and the last cell of our cruise route from Art at Sea. We also ordered 1 print from Shutters and asked to get 1 more printed so we had a nice set of three from formal night (1 of us as a couple and 1 of each of us) So one of the items from the stores was a nice wooden cruise line frame, but it is a bit strange of the number of frames that do not take the photos you can get from Shutters, it would be nice to have a bit more choice for those of us that do not want to get the full digital package just to print them smaller.

After all the drama and issues at dinner all week we went to guest services as we decided to not give either the server or head server any tip. we left the assistant server as default and upped the state room attendant as Annette had been lovely.

We also packed most of our stuff away before heading up to the pool decks and find a couple of loungers and read in the sun. Even ending up with a little bit of sun burn on my arms.

After a light lunch we headed to Fathoms for Towel Folding, this was great event, we learnt the basics on the animals we had been getting each evening, including the Swan, Dog, Elephant and Monkey. Some of our attempts were laughable and we were giggling away during the 30 mins.

After this we headed back up for more sun and lounging until it was time to get ready for Disney Dreams and then on to Palo for Dinner.
Dreams was a good show and the technical parts filling the theatre with light and images.

Now Palo, this was everything that the previous evening meals had not been. Our server Jane from Czech Republic and head server Felice (Italy) looked after us wonderful the food was great and nothing was too much bother. The highlight was as we got to the desert course Felice offered to make the Palo signature desert the chocolate soufflé for Celia, by making it both Gluten and dairy free. It was delicious and we asked to thank the chef personally so Ashley from India was called out to meet us and Celia gave him a hug and I think we were both almost in tears on how good this had been.

Then sadly it was the end, we walked back down to our room set the alarm for early and went to sleep.

Saturday dawned, we finished packing, had our little breakfast in the room and just as the announcement came over the speakers that the gangway was open we were ready to walk down the hall to the forward elevators and headed off the ship for the last time.

There was no one in front of us so we quickly made it off the ship past the terminal building which was full of luggage waiting for the guests taking breakfast before leaving, and we were first to make it to the taxi rank, we grabbed a cab to the Radisson Blu hotel where we left our bags as it was 8am our room was not ready. After a good walk through the town we made it to the little mermaid statue, which is very small.

we could also see the dock we had just left across the bay.

From there we started walking back towards the centre of Copenhagen and talked as we got to Nyhavn we had realised that we had seen all we wanted of Copenhagen and there was no reason to stay, so we called BA to see if we could change our flights, after a long time on hold we were able to switch to a flight tonight.

We grabbed some lunch at A Hereford Beefstouw expensive meat with little else on the menu then went into Tivoli gardens. The Gardens even without riding anything was lovely it was like a garden parts of Alton towers compressed into a small space, about the size of green park in London. with loads of places to eat, a few rides and some other diversions. We spent a good 2 hours just wandering around and resting on benches and people watching, until we decided to check the reservation for the Radisson hotel, where we noticed that it allowed us to cancel up to 4pm without paying, so about 3pm we walked over to the hotel and cancelled our room, grabbed our bags and walked to Central station to get a train out to the Airport.

The Airport was not that busy so we quickly made it through security and found the lounge which was shared between lots of airlines and like at Heathrow just over a week ago was very busy. but we did find a slot even near a power socket so we could recharge our phones before we left.

Flight was fine, we got to the car and after a quick drive we were home.

Postscript.
The following weekend we wrote to Disney special services about all the issues we had had with the food on-board, a few days later I got a phone call from Disney in the US to apologise and as a token of their sorryness (is that a word) offered to drop a significant amount of money off the cost of cruise, but I decided to get that taken off the next one as we had already budgeted and paid off this one. Which she initally did not want to do as it was a Christmas cruise and they do not normally do discounts, but this was almost only a quick comment and a few minutes later the updated email with the costs of the next cruise updated to the new amount. It was nice to get this discount but we still would rather have had the food as good as it had been last year, so we wait on next Christmas with slightly baited breath...

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 15, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

So glad your last meal at Palo was the best. And glad to hear of the discount and pixie dust- they pride themselves on helping with allergies and this service just sounds so poor considering that. It is often the reason cited for many adults wanting to go on a Disney cruise.
Sounds like apart from that you had a good time. Interesting ports of call.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 15, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Ah well done and Im delighted Disney came thru in the end! Thanks for taking the time to post the report!
Old 13 Jul 15, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great to read these reports. I'm sorry that your meals with the special requirements were not good. My DDIL had several allergies years ago and some cruises the food was outstanding and others it was bleh!
I think that an awful lot depends upon the attention of the head server. Our best was Fitz from Jamaica who would come out to see us every night after our meal and talk through the following days menu and let us know which items were suitable and which others could be adapted. On another cruise on The Fantasy the head server didn't want to know and one day poor Tam ended up with a plate of plain boiled pasta. That was all they served her!
I completely agree about the photos. I wanted a photo scaled down on our last cruise which they couldn't do, but nor did they have a choice of frames that fitted the size that they took. In the end we were off to Disneyland and California Adventure and so I decided to get one there, but guess what they didn't have any of the dimensions that the cruise photo came in. Madness!
Old 25 Aug 15, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for taking time to write this up ... another cruise to add to my bucket list (if only i could get round to affording it!).
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 15, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
So glad they made up for the food problems. I have to say, when I read about the dessert at Palo I had a little lump in my throat myself!

Certainly an interesting cruise, thanks for writing.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Thanks again for writing this. It takes on a whole new significance now we are booked on the Magic!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List