Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 Apr 17, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile Non swimmer and water parks - is it possible?

I'm ashamed to admit at 38 I can't swim. I'm terrified of water. I ve tried adult lessons but I just panicked. My children are having lessons. My daughter is 5 and she is fearless in water, it terrifies me. She's got her 100m badge. My son has just started lessons and he is three. He is nt a fan of water but is trying really hard. Husband is a confident swimmer. I'm the one that's letting the side down.
When we go to to Florida the children especially my daughter will want to go to water parks. So what rides/slides would you recommend that I can also go on.I need to be able to stand up in it and no fish. I don't even like getting my face wet but don't think I ll be able to avoid that! 😂
Ideally I'd like to sit on a sun lounger whilst my husband looks after the children but they really are a two man job!
Thanks
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
The lazy river is a great choice. You can walk around and hold onto the kids inner tubes. You can spend ages in there together and then pop out on a sun bed for a bit.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Hi. The slides dump you into some depth of water for the main part unless you're already in a tube where it may be shallower. That water isn't very deep but deep enough for the dump to be safe. Really what you need to do is go back to classes and get through it or you are going to miss out on years of water fun with your kids. I do appreciate that's sounding less than sympathetic and I'm not been mean really. It's just that is your best answer. Try again on a one to one basis because you can do this. Zillions of us do. You just need better help to get you there. Good luck x

Edited at 10:11 PM.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

My dad can't swim and he enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon. He wore a life vest and loved floating round the lazy river. Some of the faster slides might be a bit much for you and the wave pools but there are other things to do, the family raft rides spring to mind. You don't even go in the water. Both TL and BB have fantastic children's play areas. Check out some YouTube videos, knowing what to expect might calm your nerves.
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

My dh doesn't swim and won't learn ( he is pretty scared of deeper water)
He did dc, he went in with the stingrays and the shallower things, I was shocked he wanted to put his face I. The water to see the stingrays. I stayed ahead and warned him where there were drops.
He enjoys BB. He did the tyre slide at the ski training patrol with ds, the family raft ride, lazy river and the wave pool.
We did aquatics and he spent ages in walkabout water with ds, the lazy river and wave pool.
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Another vote for Lazy River. You could put your head through the ring and lift your legs up so you are floating but can stand easily. And you can paddle in the wave pools or sit in the shallows. Enjoy!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Antigua08
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm not quite a non swimmer, but a very weak one! I panic if I go out of my depths but I love the water parks. Pretty sure most of the slides end in their own little pools so you're never out of your depth.

The wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon is pretty rough so you might want to avoid that, it's pretty easy to get knocked over in there. But the one at Blizzard Beach is more gently. Last river in both parks are really nice.

We do both Disney water parks and Discovery Cove on our trips and so far have managed to hide my fear of water to my kids, so they're honestly not that bad.
2006 - Windsor Palms Villa, 2011 - Windsor Palms Villa, 2015 - Windsor Palms Villa, 2017 - AKL
Antigua08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I am a rubbish swimmer, cant be out of my depth. My kids and dh go and jump in the big waves at TL and I frolic about in the shallow water like a beached whale. The lazy river is also good, you don't to be a good swimmer x
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

I was an excellent swimmer as a child; went canoeing and sailing as a young adult and jumped in To save someone. However, in 30 years of going to Florida I have been on a lazy river half a dozen times when it was virtually empty, otherwise I guard our belongings. On our first villa holiday my DS splashed my face when he jumped in, I nearly killed him. I don't know what went wrong but I hate being splashed and much prefer to keep dry. On saying that I got kitted up in a stinger suit on the Great Barrier Reef and spent a few hours snorkelling until I was overcome by panic and had to get back to the beach fast.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
clrat25
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Definitely possible, DH is a non-swimmer, having never learned as a child and was very wary of the slides etc at Aquatica , now he's the first one in the queue! Still doesn't go into the pool at the resort often but will happily bob around in the lazy river with a life vest. There's also areas where you can sit and watch the kids as they play in the water themselves.
clrat25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List