Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 May 18, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Do people think it's a bit of a 'waste' bringing kids to the signatures? We have 5 kids age 9 to 16 when we go.

Was thinking of Flying Fish and California Grill. Now the kids love food but I was thinking some of the food might just be a bit too delicate/ adventurous etc. for them and I am better off sticking with pizza type places etc or having two buffet/ table service menus instead of one signature.

Any experience of bringing kids to signatures? Thanks !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Dubgirl45 View Post
Do people think it's a bit of a 'waste' bringing kids to the signatures? We have 5 kids age 9 to 16 when we go.

Was thinking of Flying Fish and California Grill. Now the kids love food but I was thinking some of the food might just be a bit too delicate/ adventurous etc. for them and I am better off sticking with pizza type places etc or having two buffet/ table service menus instead of one signature.

Any experience of bringing kids to signatures? Thanks !
kids meal and pay out of pocket, they're fairly cheap and I wouldn't spend the credits unless you have some left at the end. My (at the time) 9yo loved the Narcoossees kids meal well at least until she fell asleep in her main but that was a planning fail!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 05:53 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMoney
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
My (at the time) 9yo loved the Narcoossees kids meal well at least until she fell asleep in her main but that was a planning fail!
Come to think of it my 8 year old does the same... at most evening meals in fact but if you have the credits to spare then use them, otherwise I would agree with the paying out of pocket for a children’s meal option. We always seem to have enough credits to eat at at least 3 signatures during a 2 week holiday (probably because we don’t stick to 3 meals a day) - it’s just too much food in the heat! Sometimes we’ll just use snack credits during the day if we’re not that hungry.

Edited at 06:59 PM.
MrsMoney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks, only one of mine entitled to a kids' meal though. The rest are over 9. I think I will just do one signature.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have taken our kids to many signatures, at a variety of ages from baby in high chair to 15!
I would say the most child-friendly signatures we have found are Artist Point @WL, Le Cellier in Canada and Yachtsman Steakhouse in the YC.
All 3 were outstanding in being flexible with food choices, arrival times and understanding that our meals was determined by the pace of the kids.
Honestly, I never take our 5 yr old to any restaurant (home or away) without a bag of "entertainment" such as colouring, dot-to-dot, stickers etc etc. It gives us all something to focus on rather than resorting to "tech", and if you get caught out, as has happened to me many times, there is always a shop nearby that will flog you something! even if it's just a story book.
Most restaurants, including signatures, will have a kid's placemat they can colour in, and the servers are falling over themselves to make sure princes and princesses are happy and occupied!
Choose which locations you like the sound of, check the kid's meals and side items for something your smalls will eat, and enjoy your dinners together!

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

My only recommendation is to schedule earlier in the dinner hour. Personally, I dislike seeing kids asleep in a both and even worse, kids so tired they are cranky and disruptive to other dinners.

When young, my kids ate out often, especially on vacation. They were well behaved and quite used to a ate meal because that was when we had dinner at home. Once on vacation, not at Disney, we were passed over for a table several times. We suspected it was because we had a half dozen kids between two families. We left, went some place else and never went back to that restaurant in many years of vacations.

OUr kids would have been fine, polite little dinners but I can also understand the hostess's reluctance to seat us.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Peacemaker
Very Serious Dibber

I have been to yachtsman steak house with children, and the CM have been amazing with them, really make a fuss of them and made them feel grown up.
Peacemaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
My only recommendation is to schedule earlier in the dinner hour. Personally, I dislike seeing kids asleep in a both and even worse, kids so tired they are cranky and disruptive to other dinners.

When young, my kids ate out often, especially on vacation. They were well behaved and quite used to a ate meal because that was when we had dinner at home. Once on vacation, not at Disney, we were passed over for a table several times. We suspected it was because we had a half dozen kids between two families. We left, went some place else and never went back to that restaurant in many years of vacations.

OUr kids would have been fine, polite little dinners but I can also understand the hostess's reluctance to seat us.
I second that. Too many parents take thier kids for a late evening meal and they end running around and being annoying to other guests and you can see some parents not even trying to control them.

You can take children to V&A, we did when they where young but there is no kids menu, they will have to eat from the adult menu.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The only restaurant my youngest didn't like was rainforest cafe at Disney springs. The storm sound effects frightened the living daylights out.if him. We had to get the food packed up to go.
It depends on your children Disney expects kids everywhere.
By the way you can buy kids meals ( or use an adult credit for them) even when your kids are older my eldest did last year he's 12 but has a small apitite and likes the kids meals.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
You can take children to V&A, we did when they where young but there is no kids menu, they will have to eat from the adult menu.
When we went in 2016 we were told no children under 10... it could have changed now.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List