Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 21, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We’re floundering. Dd has written her personal statement but she needs to say more about why she wants to study business and apparently to get a good job isn’t a good enough reason.

We did visit Manchester for a tour but she doesn’t think her predicted grades will be high enough so having to have a rethink.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We’re floundering. Dd has written her personal statement but she needs to say more about why she wants to study business and apparently to get a good job isn’t a good enough reason.

We did visit Manchester for a tour but she doesn’t think her predicted grades will be high enough so having to have a rethink.
Sorry to hear that and hope her school/college can help with the personal statement. Have they given her any examples to help? Which other universities is she interested in?
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
She likes Manchester Leeds York which all want AAA Or AAB.
She’s predicted ABB but thinks she can do better than that.

She’s also going to look at Leeds Beckett.

But she’s not sure about anywhere else.
She knows she doesn’t want to stay in Newcastle.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

DD has decided she would like to go to university after all. We are in France but she isn’t keen on staying here so we are looking at the UK (thankfully still classed as a home student as we are UK citizens) or Quebec (as a French citizen she gets local fees there too! )

We are still in the research phase. She is effectively a year ahead of where she would be if we lived in the UK (she is still only 16- 17 next month).

The UK system isn’t new to us as DS applied there (but didn’t go in the end) but Quebec is. I know the deadline is 26/1 for the UK but we are pretty much on our own.

Lots to do and think about!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

My DD is also busy doing her personal statement & UCAS application. We are going to look at University of Nottingham today but the grade requirements are A*AA which I’m not sure she’ll get given they are back to doing exams next year,

She seems a bit vague on other universities although did some online stuff with University of Bristol.

She is prone to getting quite stressed about it so I’m trying not to push her as I think the school is doing a good job at that!
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
DD has decided she would like to go to university after all. We are in France but she isn’t keen on staying here so we are looking at the UK (thankfully still classed as a home student as we are UK citizens) or Quebec (as a French citizen she gets local fees there too! )

We are still in the research phase. She is effectively a year ahead of where she would be if we lived in the UK (she is still only 16- 17 next month).

The UK system isn’t new to us as DS applied there (but didn’t go in the end) but Quebec is. I know the deadline is 26/1 for the UK but we are pretty much on our own.

Lots to do and think about!
I don't know if you are aware, but the rules around home fees for EU students have changed in the UK since your DS applied, as a result of Brexit.

Being a UK citizen never gave automatic right to home fees, fee status was always linked to residence, but EU students were previously entitled to be treated the same as UK students and therefore they qualified for 'home' fees.

Fee status is a bit of a minefield but you might want to look at this guide from UKCISA which was released yesterday for further information.

Debra
Old 9 Oct 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MaryMendes View Post
My DD is also busy doing her personal statement & UCAS application. We are going to look at University of Nottingham today but the grade requirements are A*AA which I’m not sure she’ll get given they are back to doing exams next year,

She seems a bit vague on other universities although did some online stuff with University of Bristol.

She is prone to getting quite stressed about it so I’m trying not to push her as I think the school is doing a good job at that!
My DD is in her third year studying Biology at the University of Bristol, so if your DD or you want any info I can ask DD for you and we are happy to help. What is your DD hoping to study?

She loves the uni, her course and the city and, despite Covid, she’s had a good experience there.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
I don't know if you are aware, but the rules around home fees for EU students have changed in the UK since your DS applied, as a result of Brexit.

Being a UK citizen never gave automatic right to home fees, fee status was always linked to residence, but EU students were previously entitled to be treated the same as UK students and therefore they qualified for 'home' fees.

Fee status is a bit of a minefield but you might want to look at this guide from UKCISA which was released yesterday for further information.

Debra
Thanks. Under the Brexit allowances (until 2028) my DD meets the criteria for being classed as a home student - I looked in to it all earlier in the week but it was great to see the updated version. I know there are some hoops to jump through to get the home student status given - my nephew has just gone through the same procedure!

Thanks for your help - much appreciated as it is such a minefield!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

We are plodding on although dd doesn’t like any input from us which is frustrating. She’s written her personal statement with her singing teachers input and needs to get on with filling in the applications. She’s applying to drama schools so they are not all via ucas- 2 are direct applications with auditions to follow, 1 is joint ucas/direct and they need to receive both applications within 10 days of each other and the other is just ucas. Not all of them are open for application just yet so it’s a continuous monitoring of the websites so that we don’t miss the boat. It’s only after applying that she will find out the specifics of the audition requirements and we will need to do taping of those this year.
I’ve got no idea if we should be doing anything regarding finance just yet- there’s no information available on the direct application drama schools just that she would be entitled to student finance. It’s giving me a headache! Any help in that respect would be appreciated.
We’ve not managed to get to any open days although she did a weeks audition prep at ArtsEd in the summer so has been in the buildings and met some of the staff etc, she liked the vibe so that made the shortlist, the others we might just have to visit if she gets any offers I think. Because she is so young and the chances of getting in first time to drama school are quite small she feels like it gives her a bit of breathing space and is almost treating this like a trial run although I think some of that is a bit of self preservation in case she doesn’t get in.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
My DD is in her third year studying Biology at the University of Bristol, so if your DD or you want any info I can ask DD for you and we are happy to help. What is your DD hoping to study?

She loves the uni, her course and the city and, despite Covid, she’s had a good experience there.
Thank you. She wants to do Economics.
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List