Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Diabetes monitoring systems

Hi all,

My dad is diabetic (injects insulin) and uses a finger prick to monitor his blood sugars but he finds this fiddly to do and has to prick his finger several times to release enough blood. I am just wondering if there are any alternatives to monitor sugar levels?

I have seen the FreeStyle Libre 2 but does anyone use this or another model or have any other ideas.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

I am on freestyle lore and have been for many years, I was self funding this up until 3 months ago, its a bit of a pain to get your head around at first, if you test after a meal to soon and think you need a corrective dose it sends bloods low. the lire 2 (on it 3 months) has a build in alarm system that you can set to your (or your dads) preference and it sounds when bloods go above or below it, again took a little getting used to if insulin wasn't delivered early enough before food but a very good bit of kit. if he speaks to his diabetic team and advises them he's struggling with the fiddly nature he may get them on NHS. any question please feel free to ask\
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

I work with 3 children who are all diabetics. 2 use needle pricks one uses the libre. One of them didn't get on with the Libre at all and reverted back to the finger pricks, as she was getting false readings from the implant. Child who is now using the libre just got the inplant a few weeks ago after the mum fighting to get it... now same thing is happening and we're reverting back to needle pricks as they seem to be more reliable. One reading I got from. It last week was over 30😱 so I phoned mum slightly panicking, when we done the finger prick they were still high at 20 but that's a massive difference. Child is now back in hospital with an infection, which was resulting in the high readings.
Personally as someone taking the responsibility on of children and their readings I prefer the finger prick, kids seem to prefer it too.
The other Child was offered the libre but refused it as they didn't want "something in their body" so to speak. That's the oldest Child though so they're more aware of it
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies, can you tell me more about the implant please is this done at the doctors surgery ? What does it involve
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

My Dd16 has had the freestyle libre for many years. She has to put it “in” every 14 days. She scans it with her phone (when she was younger this would also come through to me)

It has made a world of difference as she can see if her level is stable, increasing or decreasing. It has also made being a diabetic teenager less stressful.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

GD has the libre. She has had a couple of faulty ones but it has made a huge difference to her life as obviously she isn't finger pricking all the time.

She also has an i-Port. This is fantastic.

freestylelibre/lib...BoCZNYQAvD_BwE

mmc.medtronic-diabetes/iport/
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Thanks for the replies, can you tell me more about the implant please is this done at the doctors surgery ? What does it involve
Not sure if the poster means the Libre. If so you do it yourself. I've linked to it in my earlier reply.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

DD(13) uses Dexcom and DW uses Freestyle libre. Both swear by them. They also both uses Omnipod pumps to deliver the insulin. Much better than injections and gives much greater flexibility
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

My DD has the Dexcom G7 (an alternative to the Libre). She used to have the Libre but the older version.

Having access to this CGM is a huge deal for DD’s independence (along with her pump).

The Libre2 is an excellent device and many of my DD’s type1 peers use it. As with all technology there are blips of course but finger pricking on those occasions is much easier than than doing so multiple times a day.

The only CGM‘s I can think of are the Libre2, the Dex G7 and the Guardian (which is used mainly with the Medtronic insulin pump system rather than as a stand alone device).

Edited at 10:20 PM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Hi all,

My dad is diabetic (injects insulin) and uses a finger prick to monitor his blood sugars but he finds this fiddly to do and has to prick his finger several times to release enough blood. I am just wondering if there are any alternatives to monitor sugar levels?

I have seen the FreeStyle Libre 2 but does anyone use this or another model or have any other ideas.
Is your dad type 1 diabetic or type 2 which has not been able to be controlled therefore escalated onto insulin use?
In my area (you will find there is a postcode lottery with such things) if you are a type 2 diabetic thats not been controlled with diet and tablets and therefore escalated to insulin they will not be given a libre or dexcom on the NHS, they would have to be self funded.
However if he is a type 1 diabetic and struggling with the finger pricking he can be assessed and put forward for a libre or dexcom.
As I say this is in our area, you would need to speak to his diabetic team.
My daughter has a fear of needles and suffers from nocturnal hypos so she was put on the libre which attaches to your arm and scanned to see your reading. This was great during the day but we was having to test her bloods twice in the night due to hypos. So she was given the dexcom g6. This has been a life changer because if she is high or low an alarm goes off. It is changed every 10 days with the chip changed every 3 months.
The dexcom is not generally given out in our area due to the cost and she had to be put forward and assessed for it.
I would definitely speak to his diabetic team if he is struggling with the finger pricks x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List