Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 16 Nov 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I am so sorry for you mums but oh my those "children" are leading their best lives.
I am used to my empty nest now and glad my kids all have their own lives and are settled, but I still can't listen to "Slipping through my fingers" or "No charge" without tears.
I agree ... I have a dilemma each year over putting out some of the 'traditional' things, like the advent calendar i used to put the advent 'jobs', activities' in. I'm quite content that two of mine are happy and settled, its the one that isn't as settled that I miss more in December.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I do agree I want her to have fun, I think they are all a bit skint so fun’s indoors!
Old 16 Nov 21, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Our DD is in her third year at uni, and I’m so happy that she’s actually going to be able to enjoy the run up to Christmas with her friends this year. Last year they had to return home early December and didn’t return after Christmas either due to prolonged lockdowns 😢

We bought her an advent calendar a couple of weeks ago when she was home for a weekend for her 21st birthday, which she took back with her. She’s home again this weekend very briefly to go to the theatre with us but then will be away until 18 December. I’m going to miss her being here in the run up, especially for putting the decorations up 😢 but I’m also looking forward to a proper family Christmas this year with her home, along with one of her brothers and his fiancée and we will video call our other son and his girlfriend on Christmas Day too as they live overseas.

We’ve got a few things booked over the Christmas, such as Beauty and the Beast in the theatre and a light trail so I’m hoping this Christmas can be a good end to the year.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Have a lovely time visiting your daughter!

Not uni but our son is in boarding school down in Dover. We are in Kinloss now so it's a LONG drive away 😞
We pick him up on the 10th December and I'm so excited already.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

My daughter hasn’t really been home sick, she has a great flat, they all seem to get along, happy to spend time with each other in the kitchen area, have meals together etc.

She has been home a couple of times, the latest being the weekend just gone, quite a few of her friends and flat mates were going home and she didn’t fancy staying there alone. She took her advent calendar, a Christmas Reed diffuser and a Christmas norm for her room with her.

It will feel strange without her being here in the run up to Christmas but it’s something we and them have to get used to.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Raiponce View Post
Our daughter is at university in Leeds (we live in France). She has finally received her letter from the prefecture to say she has to be there on Thursday to get her fingerprints taken etc to finalise her carte de séjour, so she is flying home tomorrow and back on Sunday. She is not happy at all about missing uni because she loves her course but she can't wait to see the dog and cats! I am so excited to see her again, its only been since August but it feels like forever!

She is coming home for Christmas on the 19th Dec, I can't wait but I am dreading the build up without her so trying to convince DH that we need to put the tree up this weekend while she is here! She has already said she will put her small tree up in her room so I am thinking why not do the rest!?

I have made up a homemade invisibobble advent calendar for her so she can take days 1 to 18 back with her to open there and will leave the last few days to open here.

Just keeping everything crossed that the trains are on time tomorrow and she manages OK on her own especially at the airport so she can get here OK!
We were very lucky with my son’s as they had an online calendar so we could book for when he was here! The rest of us have French nationality now so are the proud owners of an ID card🤣

My DS won’t be home at all 😢 - too complicated as next term he is studying in LA!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Raiponce
Trying for More Ears

Ah you were lucky! We sent an email explaining she was at university and gave her holiday dates but its only just come through now! She only turned 18 at the very end of June so applied straight away. They wouldn't even let us apply for nationality as soon as Brexit was decided as they said the papers wouldn't be valid after brexit... Because they would have been issued while we were members of EU and after we wouldn't be so they wouldn't even let us apply! The worst thing is they absolutely refuse to speak on the phone and do not reply to emails! Hey ho, never mind, fingers crossed she will be sorted on Thursday!
That is hard your son not coming home, (our DS is also not coming home), but great that your son has such an amazing opportunity!

Edited at 09:04 PM.
Raiponce is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Ah you were lucky! We sent an email explaining she was at university and gave her holiday dates but its only just come through now! She only turned 18 at the very end of June so applied straight away. They wouldn't even let us apply for nationality as soon as Brexit was decided as they said the papers wouldn't be valid after brexit... Because they would have been issued while we were members of EU and after we wouldn't be so they wouldn't even let us apply! The worst thing is they absolutely refuse to speak on the phone and do not reply to emails! Hey ho, never mind, fingers crossed she will be sorted on Thursday!
That is hard your son not coming home, (our DS is also not coming home), but great that your son has such an amazing opportunity!
It is hard when our children move overseas to study or work. Our eldest has worked overseas for the last 7 years and we’ve only seen him twice in all that time, once when he came home for Christmas and once when we visited him in Vietnam. We speak often, and will definitely be in touch on Christmas Day, and it’s good to know he’s happy and enjoying his life.

I’m sure you’ll be in touch with your DS too and also have a wonderful catch up with your DD xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 21, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

We applied after Brexit - my daughter got included automatically as she was born here but my son was over 18 when we had our appointments. People often ask me what nationality I am (My French is heavily accented&#129315 and I now reply “je suis française” 😳 -then they all “no - really”🤣🤣

Though we are lucky in that our prefecture had a dedicated post brexit guy who sorted a lot of things out for us! My FIL in the next department waited a year to get his appointment for the post brexit carte de sejour ! My son’s took 4 weeks!

I am sorry your son isn’t coming home for Christmas either!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Raiponce
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for all your kind messages! We have had a lovely few days, all sorted for the carte de séjour and we have put the main Christmas tree up! The village Christmas lights have been put up too so it is starting to feel very festive!

She is flying back today and is taking part of her advent calendar with her. There is an ice rink going up outside her uni so she has plans to go there with her friends from uni so she has something to look forward to!

After years of running them around for Christmas activities and doing our own family traditions I think it is harder for us to get used to Christmas build up without them here than it is for our children!

Edited at 08:42 PM.
Raiponce is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List