Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jun 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Not sure if someones mentioned it cos i have not read. But if you have degree u should wear your graduation gowns to go into hall.
And its last degree if u have more than 1.
I will have to wear my gowns when my eldest graduates (and our colours clash lol)
I have never heard of this before. There were no guests in graduation gowns at my sons graduation.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hermione25 View Post
At my DDs graduation last year, most parents were ‘smart’, many gents were in suits, DH was more smart casual but didn’t look out of place. To be honest, you will just be sat in the audience You might want to consider what you want to look at in the photos for the next 20 years? I went for a simple and comfortable dress that’s I’d worn the previous week to youngest DDs DoE Gold award at Buckingham Palace- both days were sweltering hot, and the dress was quite light but still smart I thought.

Just to add - My DD purposefully chose a dress that would stand out under her gown, and I must admit it did look nice - and easy to spot walking across the stage so that might be something for graduates to consider.

I like your dress, looks comfy but very smart. Would you mind me asking where you bought it please ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Not sure if someones mentioned it cos i have not read. But if you have degree u should wear your graduation gowns to go into hall.
I will have to wear my gowns when my eldest graduates (and our colours clash lol)
Originally Posted by Lell View Post
I have never heard of this before. There were no guests in graduation gowns at my sons graduation.
I've also never heard of this & there were no guests in gowns at my DD's graduation.

I wouldn't have the first clue about how to find a gown the same as the one I wore in 1993!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

But if you have degree u should wear your graduation gowns to go into hall.
Oh that's something different.
Possibly a custom peculiar to a particular university.
Certainly not a widespread etiquette.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Never heard of guests wearing gowns. The only times I ever wore mine again was at my institutions graduation days where staff gowns were worn for the ceremony.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I’ve never heard of or seen this, even at Oxford. It must be very specific to a university. The only time I’ve ever worn my gown and hood was when singing in a cathedral choir.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
hermione25
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I like your dress, looks comfy but very smart. Would you mind me asking where you bought it please ?
Good old M & S