Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Aug 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

I see today that we’ve had the obligatory headlines in the right wing press focussed purely on how much pilots earn, with a particular focus on the earnings of captains (how many captains are there compared pilots I wonder?). Presumably this is to get the average Joe frothing at the mouths with indignation. It’s so tiresome. Clearly, being a pilot is a specific skillset that attracts a certain wage. Whether one thinks they deserves that much is neither here nor there.

As to the argument that them asking for a share of BA profits would open the floodgates for other workers, so what? Perhaps if more us demanded this, we wouldn’t have such a massive disparity between the wages of CEOs and other senior staff to staff on the ground. I don’t accept that this will mean less jobs for everyone or higher costs for consumers because there is always the choice/option to you know, pay less fat cat bonuses! Imagine that.

The fact remains that without pilots, BA don’t have a business and I say all power to them for knowing their value.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I did not know that pilots are restricted to 17 hours flying per week, wonder what that works out to per hour
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

So earlier on in the thread when some raised an eyebrow at how much pilots earned and what they were asking for you were pretty clear this was unfair because of the skills they have etc etc and made the point that...

Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
Personally, I choose not engage in the politics of envy. We’ve each made choices in life that has got us to our present circumstances
Does this same not engaging in the politics of envy not extend to others who earn more than the pilots? Have the CEO and senior management of a company not made life choices that have got them to where they are? It would seem not...

As to the argument that them asking for a share of BA profits would open the floodgates for other workers, so what? Perhaps if more us demanded this, we wouldn’t have such a massive disparity between the wages of CEOs and other senior staff to staff on the ground. I don’t accept that this will mean less jobs for everyone or higher costs for consumers because there is always the choice/option to you know, pay less fat cat bonuses! Imagine that.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

I see today that we’ve had the obligatory headlines in the right wing press focussed purely on how much pilots earn, with a particular focus on the earnings of captains (how many captains are there compared pilots I wonder?). Presumably this is to get the average Joe frothing at the mouths with indignation. It’s so tiresome. Clearly, being a pilot is a specific skillset that attracts a certain wage. Whether one thinks they deserves that much is neither here nor there.

The fact remains that without pilots, BA don’t have a business and I say all power to them for knowing their value.
If they want a to share in the profits then they can always buy shares in IAG...

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

I wasn’t suggesting that CEOs and other senior staff shouldn’t be paid what their role commands. What I do have a problem with, is the notion that workers shouldn’t be allowed to strike or ask for more because of what they’re paid, especially if that company is making billions in profits and that same company asked those very same workers to take a hit when times were bad.

Edited at 09:22 PM.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I have no problem with CEOs and senior management being paid a very good salary. I do not have an issue with bonus schemes linked to genuine performance. Unfortunately all too often the criteria for these bonus schemes are not that onerous and, indeed, almost impossible not to hit. Take the Persimmon boss whose huge bonus package was largely due to the government's help to buy scheme, which he and his board had absolutely nothing to do with.

Edited at 09:51 PM.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
I did not know that pilots are restricted to 17 hours flying per week, wonder what that works out to per hour
Maybe they should fly the same hours that junior doctors work? 🤔

But being serious a share scheme is often a normal bonus structure in a lot of organisations. My husband used to get in working in IT. It really depends on the demands. Frankly I have no problem with people striking to improve their lot. Regardless of how well they are already doing. I just wish it didn’t impact my holidays but from what I read BA pretty much pushed into the holiday period.
Alices Aunt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

I wasn’t suggesting that CEOs and other senior staff shouldn’t be paid what their role commands.
Really?

there is always the choice/option to you know, pay less fat cat bonuses! Imagine that.

What I do have a problem with, is the notion that workers shouldn’t be allowed to strike or ask for more because of what they’re paid, especially if that company is making billions in profits and that same company asked those very same workers to take a hit when times were bad.
I appreciate the following is very
I totally support the concept of a union - and the need to have such a body to stick up for employees when employers are wrong. And I don't think an employees salary should stop them striking either.

But the problem for me (and I appreciate this is now very much an opinion and mine) is when union's use strikes and the chaos they cause to leverage salaries that they could not command based on the skills / experience / knowledge of the employees in question. E.g. I don't think you should be paid more because you can threaten to cause chaos. And this is the territory that for me these BA strikes are in.

I really hope tomorrow ends with a slightly increased offer that the unions accept and which brings this all to an end. But I think they are both too dug in, both just posturing for PR for when it all kicks off.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
Really?
I appreciate the following is very
I totally support the concept of a union - and the need to have such a body to stick up for employees when employers are wrong. And I don't think an employees salary should stop them striking either.

But the problem for me (and I appreciate this is now very much an opinion and mine) is when union's use strikes and the chaos they cause to leverage salaries that they could not command based on the skills / experience / knowledge of the employees in question. E.g. I don't think you should be paid more because you can threaten to cause chaos. And this is the territory that for me these BA strikes are in.

I really hope tomorrow ends with a slightly increased offer that the unions accept and which brings this all to an end. But I think they are both too dug in, both just posturing for PR for when it all kicks off.
Yes really. I’m quite clear what I meant, it’s up to you how you choose to interpret it. Strikes are meant to cause chaos, that’s the point.
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Just shows that BA pilot is as out of touch with the customers he flies as certain politicians are with their constituents.
Arrogance or lack of imagination ?

Have you noticed how these sort of headlines always get trotted about whenever transport workers dare to strike? It’s done deliberately and it’s had the intended affect. Personally, I choose not engage in the politics of envy. We’ve each made choices in life that has got us to our present circumstances, so I can’t get exercised about a pilot feeling hard done by staying in a 4 star hotel anymore than a premier league footballer getting paid millions to play a game.

Taking strike action is not and shouldn’t be a popularity contest but workers fighting for what they feel they are due, regardless of how that compares to the earnings or circumstances of others.

Each to their own.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List