Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Aug 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicRay
Looking for my Ears

Should probably clarify the gondolas look well made except for the lack of air con but the infrastructure is what looks cheap to me and spoils the look of the Disney site. The monorail track blends much better with the surroundings.
CosmicRay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We saw them in motion all week And they move quite steadily. There’s no pausing of the main line while people get on / off.

I think the stations look nice and well themed to their location. The international gateway one is very different to Hollywood Studios as it’s more in keeping with the world showcase.
Except they do pause for people with mobility issues. This means the whole loop will pause ...
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by caj View Post
Except they do pause for people with mobility issues. This means the whole loop will pause ...
Incorrect... the main loop does not pause for that. Each station has a secondary track where loading takes place for mobility scooters etc, the cabin is manually fed onto the rear track where it can be stopped for loading. Once loaded it is pushed along and rejoins the main track. Therefore the main track is always moving.

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive

Edited at 02:22 PM.
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It appears that the cabin comes off the main track for loading / unloading and then goes back on.

They were running without passengers so hard to say for sure but there were generally a few cabins ‘offline’ in each station as we walked past.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
It appears that the cabin comes off the main track for loading / unloading and then goes back on.

They were running without passengers so hard to say for sure but there were generally a few cabins ‘offline’ in each station as we walked past.
As in my previous post, that is how it works. People getting on and off normally do so as the gondolas slowly move around the main track in the station. If a cabin needs to be stopped to load a scooter or anyone with disabilities, it is physically taken from the main track onto the secondary one, then returned to the main track once loaded. The other cabins are not affected and continue slowly around the main track and then back out of the station.

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

This exact design of cable car is in use all over the world including many hotter countries and it isn’t a problem they are well designed.
Disney when asked about this explained the even if you didn’t have the weight issues the second you opened the doors all the cool air would escape and you wouldn't have enough time for it to cool again before the next stop!
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicRay
Looking for my Ears

If the stations were air conditioned too would it not mitigate the temperature differential, so there would be a small transfer of heat depending on which was cooler but not much. I thought the issue was more powering all those air conditioners over the lines, do they have power for lighting when they are out of the station?
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by CosmicRay View Post
If the stations were air conditioned too would it not mitigate the temperature differential, so there would be a small transfer of heat depending on which was cooler but not much. I thought the issue was more powering all those air conditioners over the lines, do they have power for lighting when they are out of the station?
Each gondola has a battery pack on the roof, which powers internal lighting, and possibly internal speakers, which is charged up as it runs through the station, but would not be powerful enough to handle a/c units, and yes a/c units do weigh a lot so weight could also have had something to do with it.

Old 11 Aug 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
I am not sure a lot of people realise how short a time the journeys are going to be: CBR to HS 3 - 5 mins, AOA/Pop to CBR 3 - 5 mins, CBR to Epcot 10 - 12 mins

Old 11 Aug 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicRay
Looking for my Ears

Makes sense, much easier than trying to power them from the stations on the journey.