Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Aug 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

A or B Garage?

Hi all,

As per the title, which side is the best for choice, or is it roughly the same both sides and depends on how many flights have arrived etc?

If I remember rightly we went straight to the B garage and collected our full-size in March.. just thinking ahead of time is all.

Thanks!
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
MCO is a 24/7 operation handling over 800 flights a day so in theory drivers are returning cars continually from 12.01 am to 11.59 pm.

So unfortunately I've no idea Unless people have regularly run between the two garages to check what's there I'm not sure if there's any empirical evidence of which side offers the best choice.

Maybe you could split the party either side and phone each other but I don't even know if there's a reliable cell phone reception in the garages.

Not much help am I?

We always go to side B simply because it's nearest gates 70-99 and also 417 exit

Mick

Edited at 04:07 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

I have tried both over the years and eventually decided there isn't much difference.

Usually follow the VA and VH crowds as I think there is generally more turnover there and a bigger supply - also you don't have to go through the tunnel and up again to get to the cars on that side.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to confirm which side I am talking about - as I cant remember !
Old 21 Aug 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
I have tried both over the years and eventually decided there isn't much difference.

Usually follow the VA and VH crowds as I think there is generally more turnover there and a bigger supply - also you don't have to go through the tunnel and up again to get to the cars on that side.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to confirm which side I am talking about - as I cant remember !
Never booked with VH but I understand some that do need to go to the garage kiosk in A to collect some documents.

You don't need to go down to the tunnel to get to side B - simply down to level 1 on escalator or lift and walk outside and over the road.

Mick
Old 24 Aug 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post

We have a BA fly drive. We go side B as with Avis preferred they’ll have the car waiting for us. Assume they wouldn’t have one on side A for us as well!

Edit: waiting for us = name up on the board with a row number.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Both sides are identical. No need to use the tunnel on either side.

Virgin Holiday customers have to go to side A to collect their docs from the Virgin hut in the garage.

Those with a standalone Virgin car hire, like me sometimes, can go where they like.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Never booked with VH but I understand some that do need to go to the garage kiosk in A to collect some documents.

You don't need to go down to the tunnel to get to side B - simply down to level 1 on escalator or lift and walk outside and over the road.

Mick
So out of curiosity Mick, if I arrive on a Virgin or TC flight and follow the natural route to car hire going down the lift, I’m on side B?
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
So out of curiosity Mick, if I arrive on a Virgin or TC flight and follow the natural route to car hire going down the lift, I’m on side B?
Steve

With one minor, but important, qualification.

With VS, BA and TC you will land at gates 70-99 on monorail 4 side B on level 3 so just keep bearing to your left and head for the lifts and escalators taking you down to level 1 which is the road that you cross to get to the car hire garage on side B.

The qualification is that if you do the courtesy baggage transfer with VS as soon as you leave the baggage hall and before you head for the escalator to the monorail. The CBT with VS sends your luggage over to A side.

Mick
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
The "natural route" - coming off the train and following the crowd - tends to take you side B. To get to A you've got to talk across the concourse.

The lifts are the same - not sure about the tunnel, is there only a tunnel on one side? We came back into A and the porter walked us across the road anyway. In past years we've used the tunnel coming back but don't recall which side we returned to.

We used Hertz for a few years and my impression was A was more limited in terms of choice. They brought a car over from B for us once.

We just got back having used Alamo and went to A. They had a huge number of cars. We were getting a 15 seater van and there was a least a dozen.

Edited at 02:38 PM.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS Steve

Have a look at this map. It's a little "stylised" like the London Underground map but you can see where the monorail is to gates 70-99

orlandoairports/getting-...#terminal-maps

Mick