Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Apr 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Ultrasound bladder holding

I’ve been referred for an ultrasound scan tomorrow for some testing. The letter says to drink a litre of water an hour beforehand and not to empty my bladder etc.

But what’s the latest that I can go to the toilet? My appointment is 12:30 so I’ll make sure I’ve had a litre by 11:30 but I have no idea when I can go to the toilet!
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

I've no advice I'm afraid, I screwed up when I had to do this and had no choice but to go to the toilet just before my appointment so I would say don't drink too much too soon like I did!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
I didn't have a great experience either, I decided to drink the litre about 40 minutes before my appointment. When I got there they couldn't do the scan as my bladder wasn't full enough, sent me out to the water machine to drink more and by the time they came back to collect me I was pacing up and down desperate for the bathroom.

I barely made it through the scan before I ran out the room to the bathroom, it was awful.

Therefore I'd recommend drinking it gradually about an hour before so that its full enough by the time you go in. Good luck.
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
I've no advice I'm afraid, I screwed up when I had to do this and had no choice but to go to the toilet just before my appointment so I would say don't drink too much too soon like I did!
I did this too. I was dying to go when I got to the hospital and then had to sit there downing cups of water. You will probably be told to empty your bladder as soon as they've scanned, then they rescan to check it's empty.
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
elm
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

I used to book ultrasound appointments and we would always advise patients to empty their bladder an hour and a half before their appointment and then start drinking a pint to a pint and a half of clear fluids.

Some patients find it helpful to arrive about half an hour early for their appointment and continue to drink the last of their water in the waiting room. The bumpiness of car travel just before your appointment and a full bladder are not a good mix.
elm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Think I will be having this soon too. Have appointment just before I go on holiday but they haven’t set any tests yet.
I need Botox in my bladder but I refused a few years back
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Oh no! I didn’t realise it was so difficult lol.

I drink quite a lot usually anyway but I always instinctively go to the toilet when I leave the house.

I feel so much pressure to try and drink and not go to the toilet, feels like I’m about to resit my driving test!
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kd0758 View Post
Oh no! I didn’t realise it was so difficult lol.

I drink quite a lot usually anyway but I always instinctively go to the toilet when I leave the house.

I feel so much pressure to try and drink and not go to the toilet, feels like I’m about to resit my driving test!
If it makes you feel any better, they had the option of an internal scan when I went. The irony was that they could see that my bladder was full again by the time the scan took place 🤣🤣 I obviously drank PLENTY of fluids!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by elm View Post
I used to book ultrasound appointments and we would always advise patients to empty their bladder an hour and a half before their appointment and then start drinking a pint to a pint and a half of clear fluids.

Some patients find it helpful to arrive about half an hour early for their appointment and continue to drink the last of their water in the waiting room. The bumpiness of car travel just before your appointment and a full bladder are not a good mix.
I wish the advice sent out was as thorough as your post above, the whole thing would be much easier!
Old 1 May 19, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Elisebev
Trainee Dibber

I have to have regular ct scans since my cancer diagnosis. I have to drink 2 pints of water before my appointment. Instructions are to drink a pint before you come then you get another pint when you arrive for the appointment. Last time I was there I was absolutely desperate for the bathroom. Luckily they were ok with me going,
Elisebev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List