Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jul 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Dibber’s save the planet!

Environmental issues are real and I know many of us are taking steps towards living a greener lifestyle. I am not very good at looking/thinking outside the box... thinking of alternative ideas to help the planet so I am hoping that all the Dibber’s can share ideas that maybe some people did not think of.
No judging, arguments etc just helpful ideas that we can all put to daily use to help save the environment 💕

I have just heard of the brand ‘cheeky panda’ they use bamboo instead of tree’s, they grow faster. The wet wipes contain no plastic and even the packaging if fully biodegradable 👍🏻They do wipes and toilet roll. So I am going to try this product.

My children used to take a bottle of water to school everyday, 3 plastic bottles 5 times a week! So I stopped that a while ago and they now take reusable drink bottle... they are still plastic though but last, I am not sure if there is something better out there?

I use bags for life

I buy loose bananas and don’t put them in a little plastic bags that are available

I walk everywhere unless it’s a trip out far. My husband does use the car for work as he works an hour away 🥺

Any other ideas, hints and tips?
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I've got a reusable straw in my handbag. I like drinking a G&T through a straw so I've used it a few times now.

I put a couple of shopping bags in the car boot for impromptu shopping trips.

We've cut down on meat and have a couple of meat free days each week.

We recycle as much as possible, have solar panels and a hybrid car.

My sister in law has stockpiled plastic straws and ear buds, but shes just not bothered!
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Ear buds?

Another 1 who does what she can.
I d add washing at a cooler temp.
Drying outside unless really not possible
Not overheating house (we have cavity walls and triple insulation our house is literally too hot 1 hour a day if its v cold)
Showers not baths
Eat local be aware of food miles.

Yeah... i negate all that by flying to orlando...
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Look at your bathroom, there can be so much plastic waste in your bathroom. A few ideas - swap to shampoo/conditioner bars in zero waste packaging over bottles, swap to bar soap over liquid soap, swap plastic loofahs to alternatives such as exfoliating soap pebbles. Swap to bamboo toothbrushes and toothpaste balls in tins. That’s off top of my head on school run.
One of the worse areas I think is kids toys, the amount of plastic waste is ridiculous, all the little bags in things like LOLs etc crazy.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
jillyb
Imagineer

jillyb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
One of the things i’ve Switched over to is using a bar of soap to wash with instead of using shower gel & liquid hand gel all in plastic bottles
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Reusable shopping bags only put dishwasher and washing machine on when full recycle as much as possible
Walk when feasible bags for life reusable coffee mug for the odd coffee out reusable water bottles lunch boxes
When duvet covers etc replaced they become dog blankets old towels to cleaning cloths
Use baking soda vinegar and rubbing alcohol for a lot of household cleaning wooden coat hangers
Never use straws
Tooth brushes are probably our biggest throw away item as I’m paranoid about changing them if somebody’s sick has a cold on antibiotics etc
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jillyb
Imagineer

jillyb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Have to agree with you about the amount of stupid plastic waste for kids toys.
These happy meals toys must be one of the worse .

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Look at your bathroom, there can be so much plastic waste in your bathroom. A few ideas - swap to shampoo/conditioner bars in zero waste packaging over bottles, swap to bar soap over liquid soap, swap plastic loofahs to alternatives such as exfoliating soap pebbles. Swap to bamboo toothbrushes and toothpaste balls in tins. That’s off top of my head on school run.
One of the worse areas I think is kids toys, the amount of plastic waste is ridiculous, all the little bags in things like LOLs etc crazy.
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Ear buds?
These,

I've just noticed they're cotton buds but we call them ear buds. The discount shops sell them really cheaply but they're the ones with the plastic stick.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

firstly try out a podcast called sustainable-ish. a great listen & a prod to do something & not chastise yourself if you aren't doing what you think is enough (because something is better than nothing)

my recent changes are

fabric sandwich wrap instead of plastic tubs or clingfilm for my pack lunch

big single bags of crisps that i portion into tubs instead of buying multipacks

using a travel mug at work instead of the drinks machine giving out plastic cups (hold cup under & it senses a cup there so refills it)

bamboo soap bag. stick a bar of soap in (including the little left over bits) & using instead of bottled shower gel & body puff

bars of soap for hand & face. no more bottled handwash & far cheaper!

take a refillable bottle with you EVERYWHERE! then download an app called refill which will tell you what places near you have free water refills. all costa, starbucks, weatherspoons are on it but there's plenty more! morrisons are starting to as well

take storage tubs when you go food shopping. morrisons (i know because i work there) allow you to use your own tubs when buying fish, meat & deli items so no plastic packaging!

but by far my favourite is using white vinegar as fabric conditioner! only costs 39p for a 568ml in home bargains. use about 35ml & 3 or 4 drops of essential oil in the fabric conditioner slot in your washer & your done. not only can you tailor it to your own smell it also helps clean the washer! more surprisingly DW loves it!

I work in a morrisons store 5 miles away. I've been cycling to work for about 46 weeks a year for over 8 years, so that's 20,000 miles! our company has a google community for each department but also has one for plastics & reducing environmental impact. I'm VERY active there & really pleased to see what we are doing to improve. I work on Home & leisure & have been pleased to see the growing range of bamboo food storage as well as a reduction in plastic packaging. nearly all new lines now come with cardboard packaging & no bubblewrap!
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
These,

I've just noticed they're cotton buds but we call them ear buds. The discount shops sell them really cheaply but they're the ones with the plastic stick.
Didn’t realise until I volunteered to do a beach clean that people flush these down the toilet after using them where of course they end up in the sea.

When buying carrots, leek etc. I buy loose and don’t put them in a poly bag. I always carry a folding reusable bag with me.

My 6 year old grandson considers himself an expert on this subject and he keeps me right.

Edit: I recently started using bicarbonate soda and vinegar for cleaning most things in the kitchen - what a shine I get on toaster etc.

Edited at 08:56 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List