Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Aug 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaJones
a Friend of the DIBB

Giving Car Rental Employees a Tip

Just finished reading a long thread about the availability of Standard SUVs with Alamo. I noticed one comment that greatly surprised me. Someone said they tipped the counter staff $10 for upgrading them after he dropping several hints that he had upgraded them. It would NEVER enter my mind to tip them! Partly because I'm not thinking straight after a long days travel and partly because they usually annoy me by telling us that a Standard SUV is not big enough for 2 people and 2 cases and that need to upgrade!

So does anyone else tip the car rental staff? Should I be tipping them?

Edited at 10:10 AM.
IndianaJones is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
I’ve only ever read about people tipping the garage staff (usually if what they want isn’t there and they go and collect one for them).

We avoid the counter staff (complete skip the counter in advance) and just take from what’s there in the row, so only interact with the guys at the exit barrier.

Edited at 10:35 AM.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

If you tip I would then be worried that you would be charged extra when you left the garage
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn't unless they went out of their way to bring a specific model round for me from round back.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Over the years on here I've seen many people who wave a $20 bill around hoping for a free upgrade - however I've also seen DIBB posts saying employees at SFB have been sacked for taking "inducements".

I'm also a bit wary if doing STC, as we always do, having a $20 gratuity upgrade and to find the bar code at the barrier doesn't match the car row that I'm entitled to.

I have a very simple philosophy to car hire. I know that a full size car will be fine for us. So we book a full size, we pay for a full size, we choose a full size from garage B at MCO. And off we go.

Had we wanted the next one up I would have paid Andy at DFCH an extra £20 when I booked it.

Mick

Edited at 03:28 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
chloe87
Getting Excited

chloe87's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have done it! Maybe i was mugged off but at Sanford Airport collecting from Alamo we were shown out by a guy who said why dont you take one from this aisle (an upgrade basically) and then continued to not so subtly hint what he had done for us and hung about like a bad smell. I didn't have any dollars on me and had to hunt down my hand luggage and i believe i gave him $10. TBH I did feel like i was being pressured to tip however im strong enough minded that i shouldn't of felt pressure! As you say maybe jet lag/long flight. Anyway, I was in fact quite chuffed with out little upgrade to a jeep so i was happy giving the guy the $10 at the end of the day.
chloe87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
voicon
Apprentice Imagineer

voicon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've never tipped, although always had the car booked from the row and I know how to drive them, so they have never had to do much for me.

If someone went out of there way to get me a car I wanted I would be inclined to tip them.
voicon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

I’ve also read many comments about people trying to give a tip to get a upgrade. This just does not work and I agree pay now for what you want when there. I have given a tip twice before that’s due to the row only having Korean suv and I wanted a American one the staff member went to get me a GMC and then came round with a full size suv he just said here’s a nice motor which is American but the class above at no extra cost. The other time this guy helped me load the car set up Apple Pay in car and found a Alamo sat nav left in the car and told me o could keep it no extra cost. So again I gave him $10 for what he did for us. If they do anything out the norm then maybe it justify a small tip.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by martyn7836 View Post
I’ve also read many comments about people trying to give a tip to get a upgrade. This just does not work and I agree pay now for what you want when there. I have given a tip twice before that’s due to the row only having Korean suv and I wanted a American one the staff member went to get me a GMC and then came round with a full size suv he just said here’s a nice motor which is American but the class above at no extra cost. The other time this guy helped me load the car set up Apple Pay in car and found a Alamo sat nav left in the car and told me o could keep it no extra cost. So again I gave him $10 for what he did for us. If they do anything out the norm then maybe it justify a small tip.
Yes I agree that if they are providing a service to help get a better car in the group you've booked or helping set the car up it's certainly worth a few $$$ tip.

Mick
Old 22 Aug 19, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

There was a time when they would bring a car to you and then help load your luggage and go through the car instructions to make sure you were ok then they got a tip.
Also there was a time at Sanford when you could ask them to bring you a certain car and ask for a car a class up from what you had booked and some would do it some would say NO, you then tipped after they brought the car provided you were happy.

I do not think this would work now as I beleive some were disaplined for this kind of thing.

But I would still tip if a member of staff was helpful and helped with my bags putting them in the car but you do not see this any more.
There was a time when the rental garages were swarmed with rental staff all running round trying to help you ( Some trying to make a quick buck ) but numbers have been greatly reduced.