Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 10 Aug 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

A memory that has always stuck in my craw is our Mercedes driving, married to a dentist teacher making us all bring our lunches up to her desk for “examination”. One by one she would take the luncheon roll sandwiches and pasties of us working class children and fling them into the bin while giving us an earful on our moral failings and those of our parents. Always stuck with me and I cannot stand people now judging other people’s food choices without understanding their circumstances. We had chips and a fried egg for tea every Wed and Thurs because that’s all we had before pay day on Friday. We were glad to get it. People who lecture online and strain themselves jumping to conclusions always look like that teacher we had to me. Totally blind to their privilege and 9/10 are made to look like a total plank when it’s revealed that the person they are chastising is dealing with poverty, health issues, disabilities etc.. It would be funny if it wasn’t so annoying.

OP, they are very good at working with you so don’t be afraid to speak up and let the server know your restrictions before ordering. The places that don’t have chips/the facility to cook them are fairly obvious from the menu - Earl of Sandwich, Blaze ... 99% of places will do you chips and remove cheese or dairy based sauces.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RAF View Post
Thank you everyone for replying so fast. I appreciate your concern for my children however, when my little boy has a dairy intolerance and the menu doesn’t lend its self to food he would eat I lean on fries / chips. This isn’t a regular thing at home and would only be used to ensure he can eat with the rest of us.
I wouldn’t worry too much about finding something for him to eat. Disney are great with allergies and have special allergy menus at every location. I think a lot of the allergy meals are available on the mobile order menus if you wanted to check ahead of time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

RAF we are in a similar position as my son has a very limited diet due to his autism (we’ve been working on it for years but progress is slow at best). Ohana couldn’t accommodate him with a super plain meal. It was fine though, we gave him a tablet and some headphones and picked something up for afterwards. He was happy just to relax with his tablet while we stuffed our faces!

My Husband is also gluten free so we are always checking out allergy free options. It’s so easy there compared to home.

Perhaps you might find this blog useful?
glutenfreedairyfreewdw/
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
RAF
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
A memory that has always stuck in my craw is our Mercedes driving, married to a dentist teacher making us all bring our lunches up to her desk for “examination”. One by one she would take the luncheon roll sandwiches and pasties of us working class children and fling them into the bin while giving us an earful on our moral failings and those of our parents. Always stuck with me and I cannot stand people now judging other people’s food choices without understanding their circumstances. We had chips and a fried egg for tea every Wed and Thurs because that’s all we had before pay day on Friday. We were glad to get it. People who lecture online and strain themselves jumping to conclusions always look like that teacher we had to me. Totally blind to their privilege and 9/10 are made to look like a total plank when it’s revealed that the person they are chastising is dealing with poverty, health issues, disabilities etc.. It would be funny if it wasn’t so annoying.

OP, they are very good at working with you so don’t be afraid to speak up and let the server know your restrictions before ordering. The places that don’t have chips/the facility to cook them are fairly obvious from the menu - Earl of Sandwich, Blaze ... 99% of places will do you chips and remove cheese or dairy based sauces.
Thank you. A lot more elegantly put than me.
RAF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
RAF
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by mooray27 View Post
RAF we are in a similar position as my son has a very limited diet due to his autism (we’ve been working on it for years but progress is slow at best). Ohana couldn’t accommodate him with a super plain meal. It was fine though, we gave him a tablet and some headphones and picked something up for afterwards. He was happy just to relax with his tablet while we stuffed our faces!

My Husband is also gluten free so we are always checking out allergy free options. It’s so easy there compared to home.

Perhaps you might find this blog useful?
glutenfreedairyfreewdw/
Thank you so much. It’s nice to know this is all catered for and is a well trodden path. I will look at that link now.
RAF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Daz hope you and your family all have a lovely holiday, enjoy yourself and don't fret about the food, there's lots of choice there
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
You mentioned your son has a dairy intolerance. There is a very useful sticky thread on the restaurants section about eating out with specific dietary requirements. I don't know if you have had a look there, there may be some good tips. A lot of it is focussed on onsite. Are you onsite or off?

My DD isn't dairy intolerant, but has decided personal tastes and is extremely intolerant of any form of cheese getting anywhere near her plate. She has a full meltdown and refuses to eat.

Have found this can be an issue as cheese or queso appears on a lot of food, in large quantities and sometimes without notice. I have found a clear message to the server no cheese - and no nuts (for me) often gets an informed discussion about what would be suitable and often alternates which are not on the menu are offered. Seem to be much more in the ball than at UK restaurants. So Def mention it every time, that cheese stuff goes on everything!

Re fries, those and wedges seem to be available in most restaurants, even if off order. He will be fine. They may come with cheese n bacon bits unless you specify no dairy though.

Have come across the best range of non dairy ice cream/ sorbets etc too. Delish.

Have a lovely trip.
I'm with you as regards cheese - it's everywhere. I'm not dairy intolerant, I can eat yoghurts, cream etc, but any sort of cheese makes me throw up. So I really have to impress on servers in both CS and TS places that I can't have it.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
RAF
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Daz hope you and your family all have a lovely holiday, enjoy yourself and don't fret about the food, there's lots of choice there
Thank you! Standard parent mode, haha, worrying about the kids and it’s not for 6 months!

Love this community on here. It’s extremely supportive!
Old 11 Aug 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
My experience with raising three children (and also with my grandchildren) is kids need to eat what they are served or go hungry for a meal or two. Every place has fries but I am not sure no meal (or a glass of milk) is not healhier than a meal of fries.
Whilst I agree with you and that is how I raise my children (even though my little boy has been diagnosed with high sensitivity, which is a sensory disorder) I don’t have the rule on holiday. This is because it is a HOLIDAY! If all they want to eat is chips or burgers for 2 weeks so be it, it won’t do them any harm and to be honest after about 5 days of junk they tend to gravitate towards the fruit and veg anyway. I eat what I want on holiday so why shouldn’t my kids.
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I'm with you as regards cheese - it's everywhere. I'm not dairy intolerant, I can eat yoghurts, cream etc, but any sort of cheese makes me throw up. So I really have to impress on servers in both CS and TS places that I can't have it.
We didn’t have any cheese when we were there! Where are these restaurants where cheese flows like wine! Although to be fair American cheese is awful!
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List