Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Return of the Rescuer – Day 9 – 11.7.19 – Change of pace and plan

Return of the Rescuer – Day 9 – 11.7.19 – Change of pace and plan

Index is here

So, apologies for this day as it was one of the days where I completely forgot to take any notes so it will all be done from memory and photographs.

We were tired out from the early starts so made the decision to change our plans. Last night we decided to cancel our Be our Guest breakfast just in case and this morning we decided to just rejig our fastpasses and have a very slow start instead. The only fastpass we couldn’t replace with like for like was 7D mine Train but we’d already done it and it was in our plans for later in the holiday.

No alarms this morning and a very lazy start. When we eventually surfaced, we went down to the food court for breakfast.

Mixed Berry pancakes for me. Really tasty. You can ask for the sauce on the side. The person in front of me ordered this and was not impressed with the sauce on top, I was like, I’ll take it…

French toast for Dh, he thought this was good.

Create your own omelette for ds, he gobbled this and loved it!

We did get 2 alcoholic drinks for the fridge and an apple juice for ds. We were really impressed by the breakfasts. I thought they were great value and would be great to share.

The weather was looking ok so we decided on the pool for a bit. Ds was pleased by this as he’d been chomping at the bit to get in for a swim. The pool is really nice, it’s not one of the fancier ones but it has everything you need. It was quite busy but we managed ok to find a seat. Ds had a great time swimming about, playing catch and having a few shots on the slide.

By the time we were done it was pretty busy and there were not any seats left so we gave ours to another family and headed back to the food court. We had obviously timed it just right as as soon as we had our food and were settled outside under cover the heavens opened and it started pouring down.

We were still quite full from our big breakfasts so after pool time we shared a meat lovers flatbread. Perfect portion size and tasty for a snack. We sat at the tables outside watching the rain.

After we had some beignets - these ones were heavily covered in sugar and a bit messy to eat but so good when they are hot.

We continued in our couldn’t be bothered mode and took a fair wee while to get ready before heading out for the bus to Magic Kingdom, we were lucky again and waited 5 minutes or so before catching the bus at 4.50pm. King of the bus!

Once in Magic Kingdom we headed round the side of Plaza gardens for some photos.

Unfortunately, some not so nice person had obviously dumped their chewing gum on one of the ledges and it ended up all over Ds’s shorts. He was a bit upset. The family further over had obviously cottoned on to what had happened and the lady came over and handed me a big pile of baby wipes to try and get it off. We were very grateful. Luckily the fact the shorts were that dry fit material the baby wipes worked a treat.

All cleaned up we headed into Tomorrowland via the purple wall for more photos.

It was only 5.20pm and our first fastpass was not till 6pm but everywhere was pretty busy so we decided on Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. Ds and I had seen this at Easter and they’d updated it so we thought Dh might like to see it again. It is really funny, a few years ago dh was chosen to be the guy who dances but not this time, phew…

Haunted Mansion for our fastpass next. The line was looking crazy as it had seemingly had some problems earlier, the fastpass line went relatively fast but I wouldn’t have fancied the stand by line at all.

Ds decided he’d ride by himself and let Dh and I ride together; I do like the fact they do the ride photo now but I think we need to figure out where the camera is

There was a photopass person outside so I was very excited to get the picture with the hitch-hiking ghost.

We were starving now and glad it was time for our dining reservation at Skippers. This has become my go to table service at Magic Kingdom. To be fair there is not a massive choice but I also really like the menu here.
We checked in and were seated really quickly and our server was great, full of cheesy jokes.

I had a passion fruit sangria, Dh had a beer and ds had the melon frosty fanta.

No question, ds was having the lamb, they have changed the menu slightly and he said it wasn’t quite as good as it used to be though.
Trader Lamb
spice-rubbed lamb chops, roasted vegetables with a brown butter-tomato sauce, drizzled with Ras El Hanout oil

Dh had the steak, this was really nice and the menu change has made this better.

Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak,
Adobo-seasoned New York Strip, vegetable and chorizo farofa, caramelized onion puree, and red wine reduction.

I had the pork, the server said the pork was a little fatty and it was but it was really nice, could maybe have done with some veg though.
Har Char Siu Pork,
Marinated grilled pork served with jasmine rice.

For dessert we ordered 3 and shared.

Coconut Bar with Pineapple-basil Compote and Vanilla Cream,
Vanilla chiffon cake with coconut and lime-white chocolate

Kungaloosh!,
An African-inspired Chocolate Cake with caramelized bananas served with cashew-caramel ice cream topped with coffee dust

Quick Sand!
Jasmine Rice Pudding, Mango Sauce, Lemon Curd, Hibiscus Meringue, and Pineapple

All were alright but not amazing at all, if paying out of pocket I wouldn’t bother with dessert here. We all agreed that surprisingly (for us, as it was the one that nobody really wanted as their first choice) the Kungaloosh was the nicest of the 3.

Overall a very nice meal though.

Next up a fastpass at Thunder Mountain, nothing better than walking all over the park after a lovely dinner, LOL. Then just because we love walking a fastpass at Space Mountain. Note to self this is what happens when you change your plans last minute and just have to take what fastpasses are left rather than ordering them the way I wanted. The sky in Tomorrowland was lovely.

I’d totally forgotten about the lantern picture they were doing at Teacups, dh noticed it and there was hardly any line, especially compared to the tangled lantern picture. I love the teacups in the dark.

By now it was 8.45pm and the park was busy, today was a villians after hours so I assume a lot of people will have come into the park at 7pm if they only had that ticket. That’s exactly what we would have done.

We thought it would be a good plan to head into the hub. Although it was busy we ended up really central close to some railings, which is always essential for once the fireworks are over.

It was a great spot and we had a lovely view. I love Happily Ever After so much! The mix of music is great and I love a wee listen to this in my classroom when I’m doing my planning. It so transports you to a happy place.

We’d managed to grab a fastpass for Thunder Mountain before park close, we hung about at the railings for about 5 minutes or so until the crowds cleared a bit and then headed off back to Frontierland. Thunder Mountain in the dark is awesome…one of my favourite Disney ride experiences.

By the time we came off the park was closing and I was curious as to how it would work with the After Hours. They had cast members positioned checking wrist bands and forcing people down round the outskirts to head down Main Street. There were lots of people quite obviously dressed for the Villians event. I thought the lighting and the music were cool and I was very tempted but I had read the lines were longer at this event than what they had been at the basic After Hours event we had gone to last year. It’s hard to tell but it looked busier.

The castle was looking nice all lit up and I thought it was good that there were still photopass people out on Main Street taking pictures of everyone.

We left at 10.25pm, the line for the ferry was mental, but the lines for the buses were ok. I’d thought drinks at the Contemporary were a good plan followed by an Uber but the other 2 were not up for it. We waited about 10 minutes for a bus and still went to bed shattered despite our partly restful day.

Day 10

Edited at 11:45 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I love the tea cups lantern photo. I didn't know about this at all another one for the list for next time

Shame about the gum, but nice that a helpful lady gave you baby wipes. A similar incident happened to us with a lady giving us baby wipes for DD. We spotted a few bits of stuck on gum this year not cool at all

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I love the tea cups lantern photo. I didn't know about this at all another one for the list for next time

Shame about the gum, but nice that a helpful lady gave you baby wipes. A similar incident happened to us with a lady giving us baby wipes for DD. We spotted a few bits of stuck on gum this year not cool at all
You’ve got next year booked so you can get it then.

Chewing gum is not the villain, it’s the silly people who don’t put it in a bin, it’s not like there are not any bins to found in the parks...
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I've convinced OH that gum is against the rules in Disney haha. He eats it all the time at home and I hate it so I get some respite from it on holiday.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I've convinced OH that gum is against the rules in Disney haha. He eats it all the time at home and I hate it so I get some respite from it on holiday.
I thought it was as well. Your oh believes everything you tell him, I love that, DH discovered twitter and follows some disney and universal stuff so he knows things now (his words)
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Another great day, it sounds like some rest time was exactly what was needed. The food at Skippers looks great and I really love the teacups lantern photo. There is something very magical about the teacups in the dark.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
Another great day, it sounds like some rest time was exactly what was needed. The food at Skippers looks great and I really love the teacups lantern photo. There is something very magical about the teacups in the dark.
That's the bonus of a longer trip, adding in quiet times...

Skippers has always been good for us, it's a really good option for MK.

Exactly it looks so pretty all lit up.
Old 1 Sep 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

A much easier pace today, and a lovely evening at MK. Nice to get some pool time to start the day, and the Mickey Beignets look so good.

The chocolate cake dessert at Skippers looks great, just the kind of thing I would order, it's a shame you didn't rate the desserts as I thought they all look nice. Can't beat HEA to finish off the day

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
A much easier pace today, and a lovely evening at MK. Nice to get some pool time to start the day, and the Mickey Beignets look so good.

The chocolate cake dessert at Skippers looks great, just the kind of thing I would order, it's a shame you didn't rate the desserts as I thought they all look nice. Can't beat HEA to finish off the day
I know, for some reason I feel we didn’t make the most of the pools this time, maybe the weather impacted more than normal.

The desserts at Skippers were fine just not as good as the mains. I’m a bit fussy on the dessert/ pudding front. The chocolate was the best one though.
Old 8 Sep 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A nice slower day

Joan