Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jul 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Updrade from Econ, to PE or even higher after booking...

If I book economy seats for next August, and then later down the line find that the budget would allow for a upgrade to PE or business, I assume I can do that with the airline? Clearly subject to availability of course.

Overall, is it likely to cost much more that way, so would I be better booking the higher class initially if possible, or are there some bargains to be had?

Cheers
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ABZDisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Not sure what the rules are with Virgin but with BA it's one class i.e. WT to WT+, WT+ to Club, no double upgrades are allowed.
November 2014 at Old Key West & The Yacht Club
November 2012 at The Swan
ABZDisney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

With virgin, you can upgrade! I am currently due to fly PE, but regularly phone up and ask prices on an upper class upgrade.

Good luck!
Old 31 Jul 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Also remember, if you book via a travel agent (and they include Virgin Holidays & BA Holidays) you can only deal directly with the travel agent regarding any upgrades up until about 24hrs before your flight when it gets released to control by the airline at the airport.

There is no guarantee your travel agent will offer the same price on an upgrade that you can see on the airlines website (i.e. if you price up Upper Class and deduct the current Premium Economy fare). You will doubtless have been booked into a cheaper fare coding some time in advance, so the cost could be quite a bit higher. That said, bargains do arise from time to time, especially when Virgin have a sale on.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

If you book directly with the airline, yes. Although often only 1 class up is allowed. It can be astronomical in price though. Family booked 11 months out BA economy and not the lowest economy either their fare bucket was the highest economy fare bucket. Called for a price to upgrade to WT+ and it was £1200 extra for 2.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

We've upgraded Virgin (econ > PE) for peanuts, and had quotes for more than the ticket cost.
It depends on the fare code of the ticket. All Econ tickets are not the same, some are upgradeable or moveable, some are not, most people have no idea what type of economy ticket they book in the first place as neither agents or airlines make a point of letting you know, it's in the small print.

The basic rule of thumb is the more you paid in the first place, the cheaper an upgrade will be.
Old 1 Aug 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I like the way Virgin shows the upgrade prices from Econ to PE and Econ to UC at the side of the booking.

I am watching a booking I made for my Daughter and there were some decent upgrade prices a few months ago.

However as I'm paying I ignored them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

However as I'm paying I ignored them.
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I'm not sure that BA operate the same upgrade process. We upgraded from Wt to CW for this summer.
Interestingly, we did do well on price - I booked a BA fly drive LGW-TPA in the sale in September 2018, for travel this august, and got a good price.
When I called to upgrade, they gave me 2 prices - one the upgrade price that day and one price "had I done it on the day I booked".
The difference in price in the UPGRADE cost for 4 people was £4500.
We upgraded WT to CW for £3500 return for 3 ad + 1ch.
It can be done and worth asking for those 2 prices if you find yourself able to do it at a later date.

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Last year we asked the price of upgrading at the airport. We flew BA in WT and we’re quoted prices for WT+ and CW. The upgrade cost at LGW was too high. However at Miami on the return We upgraded to WT+ at a price we were happy with.