Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 May 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaft88
Getting Excited

DisneyDaft88's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Question Saratoga Springs Resort

so we were planning on going back to our usual CBR in October 2021 but are now thinking of trying out SSR, mainly for the proximity to Disney Springs as we like to eat/chill there a lot.

I've been reading through reviews this morning and a common theme seems to be "run down and out dated". We'd be paying a good amount of money to stay there (going through Davids vacation club rentals) and don't want to be disappointed.

Can I please have the opinion/reviews of trusty Dibbers?!
Universal Sapphire Falls February '22
CBR - October '23
DisneyDaft88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

It's being refurbished and the new rooms look great. There's a thread with photos - I'll try and find it for you. I'm guessing work might be temporarily suspended, but I would think it would be done by October 2021. We've stayed there twice and loved it!

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Some photos here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1111330
This is a very long thread, but lots of info and photos on here too:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1130524

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaft88
Getting Excited

DisneyDaft88's Reviews
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
It's being refurbished and the new rooms look great. There's a thread with photos - I'll try and find it for you. I'm guessing work might be temporarily suspended, but I would think it would be done by October 2021. We've stayed there twice and loved it!
That's great news!

Because the dates we're looking at are DVC block only dates, we can't do our usual of booking directly through Disney.

David's vacation club rentals would be a first for us along with a new resort so want it to be a good experience!
CBR - October '23
DisneyDaft88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

We stayed there in 2018 and it was by far our least favourite WDW hotel that we’ve stayed at but that was largely because the rooms were very much in need of refurbishing. We’d had a split stay at the Yacht Club / Contemporary and then SS so the lovely rooms at the first two were quite a contrast to Saratoga.

I would go back now the rooms are refurbished because being able to walk to Disney Springs was great.

Personally, the ‘feel’ of Saratoga Springs (really spread out, lots of gardens and walkways, and a really quiet atmosphere) doesn’t appeal to me as much as somewhere like the Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge or The Contemporary with a busy central building, more close together rooms and being a bit more lively but I’m probably in the minority with that. I just remember feeling a lack of atmosphere as SS.

I know it’s a big favourite on The Dibb though .
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by moosha View Post
Personally, the ‘feel’ of Saratoga Springs (really spread out, lots of gardens and walkways, and a really quiet atmosphere) doesn’t appeal to me as much as somewhere like the Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge or The Contemporary with a busy central building, more close together rooms and being a bit more lively but I’m probably in the minority with that. I just remember feeling a lack of atmosphere as SS.
I would not think you are a minority at all. I would be surprised if less than 50% of people would not share that view exactly. I definitely do, the sprawled out resorts are not for me. I like to take a few steps and the elevator to get to main reception, not catch a bus.

I had OKW booked for April as we thought we wouldn’t have a dining plan and the kitchen would be handy, but I was worried about it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Saratoga is very nice, a lovely resort. The rooms needed a refurb (as do all DVC rooms as they near their refurb date- read similar now about Boulder Ridge Villas for example which is next) but the new rooms are perhaps now second best on property after Riviera. Go on YouTube and have a look for Saratoga Springs Refurbished room. Particularly the 1 beds. All rooms they now have the Murphy sofa (only Riviera has them) which is a huge boon over a sofa bed.

The resort is very peaceful, we like it a lot. We like running and walking and both you can do in abundance here- the ground are lovely, Disney Springs and you can even get to Old Key West up a canal path. What we don’t like is a hotel with absolutely no walking or running ability like Animal Kingdom which literally has none. So the extensive outside grounds are not a negative, but a positive for us.

But all the hotels are a little different and different people like different things, but assuming by October 2021 you’ll be in a refurbed room you certainly won’t be finding it run down.

You could always book somewhere else with Davids, our favorite is perhaps Boardwalk, but of course it seems your main driver is Disney Springs and SSR is undoubtedly the best resort for there.

Edited at 07:14 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaft88
Getting Excited

DisneyDaft88's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Saratoga is very nice, a lovely resort. The rooms needed a refurb (as do all DVC rooms as they near their refurb date- read similar now about Boulder Ridge Villas for example which is next) but the new rooms are perhaps now second best on property after Riviera. Go on YouTube and have a look for Saratoga Springs Refurbished room. Particularly the 1 beds. All rooms they now have the Murphy sofa (only Riviera has them) which is a huge boon over a sofa bed.

The resort is very peaceful, we like it a lot. We like running and walking and both you can do in abundance here- the ground are lovely, Disney Springs and you can even get to Old Key West up a canal path. What we don’t like is a hotel with absolutely no walking or running ability like Animal Kingdom which literally has none. So the extensive outside grounds are not a negative, but a positive for us.

But all the hotels are a little different and different people like different things, but assuming by October 2021 you’ll be in a refurbed room you certainly won’t be finding it run down.

You could always book somewhere else with Davids, our favorite is perhaps Boardwalk, but of course it seems your main driver is Disney Springs and SSR is undoubtedly the best resort for there.
Thank you! We are similar to yourself and like the bigger resorts with more grounds, we stayed in POFQ for the first time in February and although it was really lovely, it felt a little small for us compared to our usual of CBR.

Boardwalk is our 2nd choice on our form for David's as we can walk to Epcot/HS and then Riviera for the skyliner, so I think we'll be happy regardless. Fingers crossed we get something!
CBR - October '23
Old 21 May 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed in a non-refurbished room only this past February and we thought it was lovely! The wear and tear was no worse than anywhere else we stayed, not really that noticeable and we thought the room was in great condition, not run down at all! You can read about it in my trip report here - photos of our studio room are at the very bottom of the page as checking in was the last thing we did that day.

We enjoyed our stay in SSP and our location in the GrandStand was perfect. We loved the quick boat ride to Disney Springs, and it was handy being fairly close to Artist's Palette too. The theming didn't appeal to us as much as OKW, which is generally the same price but would be our first choice. But if for any reason OKW wasn't available, we absolutely wouldn't hesitate to go back to Saratoga Springs!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List