Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Jul 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry Steven - another PS

I touched on Sunpass in the other thread but don't think I linked this.

Home page is where Sunpass operates and shows the very few "cashless" tolls in Florida. "Cashless" as opposed to "unmanned". So you can still choose to pay cash at most of them but the convenience of Sunpass is worth it.

Open up "Traveller information" then "rental vehicles" will show how it works.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Sorry to bang on about this. I usually post 4 or 5 times a week about car hire and toll plazas so it's nice after so long to start again.

Mick
No thank you for your info as this is my first time hiring so all the tips ands tricks the better! Thanks!
StevenC1872 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

See when you guys mention pay fuel through Alamo. Is this so you can take the car back without filling it up?
StevenC1872 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by StevenC1872 View Post
No thank you for your info as this is my first time hiring so all the tips ands tricks the better! Thanks!
I've hired a car many times so frequent contributor to driving threads. There's a good DIBB guide to driving over there. I say good as I've added and edited a few times. Do you want me to link it?

Originally Posted by StevenC1872 View Post
See when you guys mention pay fuel through Alamo. Is this so you can take the car back without filling it up?
The default for any car hire in Florida is take out full and return full but most companies have options to pre-pay fuel. It saves you looking for reasonably priced gas when you're near the airport

Mick

PS If you're not already bored here's a thread from a couple of weeks ago about driving from SFB to the Disney area.

https://DIBB.in/14556190

Edited at 03:59 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
YT

Absolutely nothing against SFB but can never get Tui prices to suit us now. We used to fly into SFB all the time before TCD going bust. Checked our luggage in at a store at the LBV outlet and spend the last half day over on New Smyrna Beach.

As you say though the eating/shopping choices were dire back then and doesn't sound like it's improved much.

Mick
Great story this time. I was bored waiting and went into the shop with sunglasses. Most of the shops seem staffed with local elderly residents.

Anyway I was looking in this shop think it was about 5.30pm, flight was around 7.

This elderly lady serving didn’t seem too happy I was looking in the shop. I thought I’d be pleasant and said ‘Hello how are you?’. She sort of scowled and said ‘Not good I just want to close up and go home’.

Shortly after leaving the shop she shuttered it up and left whilst the airport was still open and we hadn’t boarded the flight.

It was like a grumpier US version of that character off Come Fly With Me who never wants to work on the coffee stand.
Old 13 Jul 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Great story this time. I was bored waiting and went into the shop with sunglasses. Most of the shops seem staffed with local elderly residents.

Anyway I was looking in this shop think it was about 5.30pm, flight was around 7.

This elderly lady serving didn’t seem too happy I was looking in the shop. I thought I’d be pleasant and said ‘Hello how are you?’. She sort of scowled and said ‘Not good I just want to close up and go home’.

Shortly after leaving the shop she shuttered it up and left whilst the airport was still open and we hadn’t boarded the flight.

It was like a grumpier US version of that character off Come Fly With Me who never wants to work on the coffee stand.
We used to pay for the lounge. Free Bombay Mix was the highlight I recall
Old 13 Jul 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

I saw a blogger do a walk through of SFB earlier, does look small and compact but it does also look less busier than the big airports.

I'd land anywhere though just to be in Orlando haha!

I think I'm more excited about picking a car than anything else!