Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Accommodation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info
My Magic Holiday
Unread 14 Feb 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
I think you can end up in an out building anyway can't you for a hotel booking or are they different. Out building sounds like an old shed! I would prefer to be in the main building but wouldn't pay much extra for it - not 2k anyway.

Now you have got me considering DxDDP!
Im not sure re outbuildings as it doesnt bother us so weve never really paid much attention to location but the DVC villas at GF have a separate lobby and check in area. We still used the main lobby for check in though!

Oooh DxDDP is our favourite. We only really do it for a few days as its a lot of food but my husband isnt one for desserts so he really loves the included appetiser. I think it makes signatures much better value...Im not sure Id go to a signature on the standard plan x
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Late Honeymoon...SB, BWV + NYC
Unread 14 Feb 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

The DVC villas at Grand Floridian are much nicer than the hotel rooms- why would you want a hotel room? I also would not pay for dining plan either- simply is not worth it- hardly any DVC owners buy it- just put that money in an account and you will likely come home with quite a bit left, generally eating what you want.
Out Building like a shed? Have you seen it? Has one of the most luxurious lobbies of any Disney hotel- smaller of course. The DVC villas are very nice here.
It is a no brainer for me- rent the DVC and do not pay for the dining plan.

Watch this- the building is adjacent to the main building under a covered walkway-

I would personally go for the DVC Grand Villa

Edited at 02:05 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coast2Coast incl Grand Cali+Copper Creek
Unread 14 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don't understand your explanation of the numbers at all and I have read it a few times now , but if one appears much cheaper to you then do that.
Sorry I wasn't too clear. Looking at the WDW site for next May (which is the time of year we want to go) the price when you add everything together (DDP, tickets) is 2000 more than booking through DVV and adding everything together. On the WDW site there is no free dining at the moment but there is a free night offer which is a saving of 1150 but we would pay for the dining plan which is 1600. If free dining comes out I imagine the free night offer will end so if that is the case and free dining does actually come out then the difference between the two choices will be less by about 450 as the free dining offer is worth more than the 2 free nights.

Hope I make sense now!
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villas
ChoppyGirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Doing the Highlands Fling
Unread 14 Feb 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Sorry I wasn't too clear. Looking at the WDW site for next May (which is the time of year we want to go) the price when you add everything together (DDP, tickets) is 2000 more than booking through DVV and adding everything together. On the WDW site there is no free dining at the moment but there is a free night offer which is a saving of 1150 but we would pay for the dining plan which is 1600. If free dining comes out I imagine the free night offer will end so if that is the case and free dining does actually come out then the difference between the two choices will be less by about 450 as the free dining offer is worth more than the 2 free nights.

Hope I make sense now!
Prices arent out for 2021 yet so the saving may be even more renting DVC as presumably WDTC prices will go up.

Dining Reports
2011,2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Trip reports
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where are we staying in 2020?
Unread 14 Feb 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The DVC villas at Grand Floridian are much nicer than the hotel rooms- why would you want a hotel room? I also would not pay for dining plan either- simply is not worth it- hardly any DVC owners buy it- just put that money in an account and you will likely come home with quite a bit left, generally eating what you want.
Out Building like a shed? Have you seen it? Has one of the most luxurious lobbies of any Disney hotel- smaller of course. The DVC villas are very nice here.
It is a no brainer for me- rent the DVC and do not pay for the dining plan.

Watch this- the building is adjacent to the main building under a covered walkway-

I would personally go for the DVC Grand Villa
Thanks for that - I am at work so can't see You Tube stuff but will have a watch at home.

It's the words 'Out Building' that made me chuckle as I have an imagine of a shed or stable block as that's what they usually say on programmes like 'Escape to the Country'. I have walked round the Grand Floridian and no shed type places there.

Good idea about saving the DDP money separately. DH just likes the thought of DDP. We have had free DDP before and DH tends to eat what he wants whereas if we pay for meals he looks at the price and bases his food choice on the cost.

Looks like the DVC points are the way to go. There was such a difference in price I thought I was missing something and there was a big downside to the villas there which I hadn't spotted.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villas

Edited at 03:03 PM.
ChoppyGirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Doing the Highlands Fling
Unread 14 Feb 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammo333
a Friend of the DIBB

Fully agree with YorkshireT especially on DDP.
We had done DDP for 3 years running before deciding to experiment without DDP but pretending we were still on it and buy anything off the menu.
We are a party of 4 adults we like our food and we still ended up spending 800.00 less over a 14 night stay.
On DDP it felt like we had to eat everything going to warrant/justify how much we spent, and always ended up with a freezer full of snacks we just could'nt eat.
Off DDP with most portions being quite big two of our party would often share a mains.
CSR 2007,08 ASMo 2006
Orange Lake Country 2004
Hammo333 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Hammond's Next Disney Adventure
Unread 14 Feb 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Dont fall for the psychological we do not have to worry on DDP - they rely on that.
Most loyalty schemes where you agree to give ALL your spend in an area to one supplier- in this case Disney dining- would usually attract a nice discount. This is how DDP used to operate.
Now it works on some psychological premise. You have to struggle to actually spend as much as you are paying for DDP- unless you only ever eat the very most expensive thing on the menu and / or character meals constantly.
Go on this and be realistic- if you were not on DDP what would you really reasonably buy? You may be shocked on how much less youd spend:

distripplanner
Unread 14 Feb 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
formosagirl
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We've rented DVC points a number of times now and the cost savings make it a no brainer for us.

Just to add, if you're not keen on paying the full balance up front, maybe try DVC Rental Store, where I believe you pay 50% on booking and the remainder 8 weeks before check in