Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 May 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
emzmommy
Earning More Ears

Mobile not prepaying for virgin seats...am i being stupid?

Just a quick one we havent paid the £150 for our seat booking on the plane therefore 24hours before our flight i will be booking our seats in the hope we can get them together the advisor at virgin seemed to think we would be ok my dd will be 7 when we go thereforw by law she has to be sat with one of us and he said 30% of the seats are kept behind for families my question is for the sake of £150 fo i have no chance of my oh sitting with us to he said hes not overly bothered for the difference in price but if theres a good chance that he will be next to us anyway am i worrying for nothing?

Anyone has experience of this?

TIA
emzmommy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

There's NO law saying that a minor has to sit next to you, only an advisory. Next to means the row in front or behind or across the aisle.

I've had experience of families being divided all over the plane and kicking up a fuss because people who have paid don't move for their benefit.

Personally we don't pay, because there's only the two of us, but when our Grandson flies with us we do, I'm not leaving it to chance. If I was you I wouldn't pay now, but I'd certainly be Kerry-in an eye on how many open seats are available.

Edited at 08:46 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It is a guideline for airlines to put children with one of their party but not the law. Across the aisle counts as together.

You may well be together and I think UK airlines are making more of an effort with this. However no-one can give you an absolute guarantee.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

This is really a personal choice. You will more likely than not all be sat together but if it is really important that you are then book. What you can't expect is that people move around the plane to accommodate your famìly as I have seen on a number of planes recently. If however you are prepared to be apart from your husband then save your £150.

I personally couldn't cope with the stress of not having seats together so I pay.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by emzmommy View Post
my dd will be 7 when we go therefor by law she has to be sat with one of us.
TIA
Sorry to say this is a common myth, no such law exists. The CAA who regulate the airlines ask that they sit minors with a parent but cannot enforce it.

Are you Flying Club members? If so you will be able to request your seats for free 72 hours before the flight.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Why don't you join the flying club then you can all pick seats 72hrs before the flight for free. You do all need to join, I think you'll need to phone to join your DD.
I think the advisor at Virgin is wrong, it's an advisory to the airline's re seating children with a parent not law. Though I believe Virgin are one of the better airlines for keeping children with a parent.
Old 1 May 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

TBH, I would never pay for reserving seats unless it was ELR or exit row seats. We take our chances and have never had a problem.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

We plan to take our chances too.

If our son ends up sitting alone, he will be OK. We will visit him frequently and he will be absorbed in games and movies for most of the flight so won't be bothered, even though he is only 8.

If they want to sit our two-year-old by herself, the plane will be in absolute chaos. I am sure the other passengers would soon demand that something was sorted out to amend the situation.

I think it's only a very slim chance that children under the age of 10 would have to sit by themselves.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I personally wouldn't risk it with a 7yo. My youngest is 8 and we always pay for reserved seats. Just not worth the stress and worry it would cause me...but everyone is different!
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I think the key issue with not sitting next to your child is safety, I have travelled on flights with really awful turbulence that lasted several hours with the seat belt sign on and the crew seated.

I am a good flyer and frankly I have been scared. On one flight the captain actually came on the intercom to assure passenger that the amount of wing flexing was safe!

If you are happy for your child to be a few rows away hen that's fine!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List