Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Aug 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

I cant see how on earth BA would ever know if someone has done the first stage of the journey?

If it were me I'd simply be going straight to Gatwick.
If somehow BA knew (unless you have to present a ticket stub?) I hadnt got on a bus or a train I'd be telling the person at checkin that we were running late due to heavy traffic and missed the bus/train. The only way to get to Gatwick was to jump back in the car and drive down.
Whats this person going to do?
Not allow a family to travel?
If it forms part of the contract then Id be reading thoroughly what makes the contract up and ensuring what rights I have in the event of matters outwith your control, like a delay to getting to the first point of travel.
You will have rights!

BA would need to prove that you willing broke the contract, which they could never do as the reason is down to matters outwith your control.
Each person is presenting themselves for the flight so I'd be looking for a very senior manager to refuse boarding.
Its not like the first stage involves any kind of security screening.
Pity there isnt a Glasgow glitch as Id be taking advantage.

Edited at 10:33 AM. Reason: Airport name change
Manny Haines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rsvdaz View Post
I've been emailing Accessrail regarding the first leg and pointed out there's a gapin the itinerary they now said get in touch with BA. I did try yesterday and got through to their overseas call centre, they didn't really understand the logistics. I'm going to email BA and Opodo today and emphasis the gap and connecting time to see if common sense will prevail
It's not uncommon for there to be a gap in the itinerary, you just have to get yourself from A to B yourself. When booking these type of flights with BA it just states you have to make that journey yourself. Our flights this year were MCO - LGW - LHR - MAN.

It's always the bizzare connections that are cheap.

Edited at 11:14 AM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Opodo have updated the site with more details about the Cardiff - Gatwick legs. I'm still confused!
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

What are the updated details?
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

I think that they could electronically track - they could track the boarding of a coach. Even if that information didn't update quickly enough for it to affect the flight out it could invalidate the return leg. It's quite a risk to take. Accesrail who are the ticketing company have been doing train/bus link tickets to flights for some time in mainland Europe - I'd be surprised if they didn't have a system for checking on. BA don't want people to buy the ticket and travel straight to Gatwick - they have no difficulty selling those tickets they want to attract people who wouldn't ordinarily use them.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
What are the updated details?
It now shows the train with all the stops / changes, but it just says "a change may be necessary" but with tiny windows to do so. Surely these are just stops. Plus it keeps mentioning checking the flight departure. I've been able to add the screenshots now, so hopefully that will help.

Edited at 01:20 PM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

This would be a great option for us as we usually get the bus/train to LHR anyway but i am wondering as it states its from 'Cardiff-Wales CWL' which is Cardiff Airport whtehr you have to go there first to check in etc and then you go to Sophia Gardens to get the national express bus. They are quite distance apart unless you have someone who can drive you so maybe too much of a fuss i think for us.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
I think that they could electronically track - they could track the boarding of a coach. Even if that information didn't update quickly enough for it to affect the flight out it could invalidate the return leg. It's quite a risk to take. Accesrail who are the ticketing company have been doing train/bus link tickets to flights for some time in mainland Europe - I'd be surprised if they didn't have a system for checking on. BA don't want people to buy the ticket and travel straight to Gatwick - they have no difficulty selling those tickets they want to attract people who wouldn't ordinarily use them.
Accessrail have referred me back to BA/Opodo - I have emailed both hoping to get through to someone who doesn't parrot repeat the official response of you must complete all legs -I will post the replies when I receive them.

my query to Ba & Opodo:
Good Morning,
I have made this booking with an earlier connection from Cardiff ( 9B 768 ) on further investigation this leg of the journey appears to be a bus operated by National Express and not an actual flight. Moreover this leg is from Cardiff to Heathrow and NOT Gatwick where BA2037 leaves from.

I am also concerned regarding the connection time as we arrive at Heathrow at 0730 and the flight leaves at 1120 its a good 90 minute journey between Heathrow and Gatwick, this doesn't factor in any delays.

As this first leg is a bus and given that I can check in online for the flight 24 hours in advance would it be possible to go to Gatwick direct and miss out the bus?
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for that rsvdaz - obviously I'd rather just go to LGW and not have to get up in the middle of the night for a 4.15 coach!
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

I'm confused about the fact some are saying its a bus journey. My booking states Cardiff to Heathrow with Heathrow express from Cardiff railway station. Is this what it says fir everyone else.
The itinerary also looks like a train journey with stops at Newport, Bristol, Swindon, reading and then Paddington railway stations.
How on earth would ba know if you just checked onto the train and then drove to gatwick instead.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List