Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 12 Nov 17, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

My kids have always loved the waterparks (specifically typhoon lagoon), they get fed up going to a park every single day and the waterparks give them (and us) a nice break. Quite often we'll spend the days in the waterparks then go to a park in the evening.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
kikimouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Would echo one previous poster. Get there early at 10am, on a weekday (avoid weekends), spend a couple of hours. It's fantastic. Love both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach and no hotel pool has slides, lazy river, rides and a huge (and I mean, huge) wave pool. Absolutely fantastic. We bailed out after lunch, rest and then do a park in the evening. I have to say I tend to stay away from mini golf because it is SO hot - waterparks for me!

Also if you get there early, there's plenty of places with shade to park yourself.
kikimouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mia1
VIP Dibber

Mia1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
Everyone is so different but we love the water parks with Typhoon Lagoon being our favourite.

Park days can be really tiring and going to the water parks is a nice break and there are plenty of shaded areas.
completely agree with this. We love the water parks and we have a range of ages. We are never bored as quite often we never leave the wave pool! Typhoon lagoon is our favourite and we always alternate between a theme park day and a water park day.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever"
Mia1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 04:48 AM  
Link to this Post

I presume this is your first trip? When we went to Florida four years ago me and my brothers made it our mission to pretty much do every park (minus Discovery Cove) and every ride (that we were willing to do) within them. That even included Legoland Waterpark which sadly we were kicked out of the minute we got in the water due to a storm...

Anyway, I digress. Both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach were - rather surprisingly - our least favourites of the four we experienced properly (Aquatica being the fave, and Wet & Wild second). For me, BB's rides were decent but nothing special, and TL's were boring while the wave pool was SO much fun.

It depends on what kind of person you are I think. I'm a 'try everything once' guy, so while I don't think Disney's waterparks are anything special, they're definitely not something to avoid. And to be fair, we are planning to do Typhoon Lagoon again this Christmas Eve...so I guess that speaks volumes.

Edited at 04:55 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It feels like you have to cram every second of the holiday with rides and FP and that if you don't you're 'wasting' it...my advice would be try not to be a slave to it.

Try and think of what your family likes doing. If they like the water then it would seem to me that it would be a shame missing out on the water parks. I know you have a fantastic pool at Y&B club, but it's not the same as the water parks. There are many 2 people boat type slides which are great fun to do with your kids, also family raft rides...it's not all about the big drop slides like summit plummet.

My kids were 9 and 7 on our 1st wdw trip and loved both TL and BB they are fair skinned so we got them both rash vests to wear, this made a big difference. Also, as others have mentioned we don't do full days at the water parks usually 3 or 4 hours in the morning is enough so you could be in a theme park from the afternoon until evening.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a brilliant time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

It will be 90+ degrees but the humidity is the killer.
You probably will not want to be in parks from 8/9 am until dark.
My advise is get up early and get there, coming home early afternoon or some days even lunchtime. Then have some pool time, and there’s then plenty of time for that early dinner and mini golf.
If you are onsite make sure you do the early morning extra hours. If you do them and do Touring Plans you can do all the major rides in a park by early afternoon.
The water parks break it up really well. As others say get there early and leave maybe 2. Then you could go in a park for dinner, to watch fireworks etc.
Personally I’m not a great fan of a Blizzard Beach, mainly because of the queues for all the rides on the top of the mountain, Typhoon Lagoon though we all love and they have a new family ride there.
Has your wife been before, or been with two kids? She could be underestimating how tiring it all is. We are an fit family, I run and do 120 mike cycle rides, my wife is a gym and running fanatic, my son plays football for a team nearly every day and my daughter does running and dance. And there’s no way we’d want to be in parks all day every day for 14 nights in the Florida heat. We find it’s about pacing otherwise it becomes like a boot camp, not a holiday.

Edited at 10:33 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
If i had Disney tickets we would probably go for half a day each park but i wouldn't be bothered really.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Thanks for all the reply’s and view points. Lots for us to think about and digest.

I think we will pencil in Typhoon Lagoon and then we will play Blizzard Beach by ear depending on what we will all want to do on our “rest days”

Thanks
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Typhoon lagoon is an easier park to "Chill" at for us we were going to try and get Blizzard beach in this tear before it closed as my son wanted to do summit plummet as he was tall enough but in the end we didn't make it. We went to Aquatica when the kids were your age and it was fab they really enjoyed it
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My 7 and 9 year old kids loved Typhoon Lagoon this year. We had a huge pool and water slides and a hot tub at our hotel but it's really not the same as going to a water park. They are very pale but were fine with rash vests and factor 50 suncream. We planned to go for a couple of hours and didn't leave until closing time 6 hours later!
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List