Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jan 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
In the past have had to unfortunately claim twice, once for hospital treatment and once cancellation, Travel Direct premium policy and Aviva - both fantastic service and only my £50 & £100 excess each time. Aviva settled my cancellation in full (business class flights and hotel costs) within a few days of receiving my medical letters. Have used Aviva ever since and will be using again. Unfortunately Travel Direct have new underwriters and they will no longer cover my pre existing conditions otherwise I’d use them too.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Mobile

One way to check the quality of Travel Insurance is the Defaqto rating. This can be checked here, defaqto/

I should say this only checks cover. Not things like customer service etc.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

I wish I could get a report from my doctors for our family of 4 and send it to the Insurance so I know everything is declared !

We have no medical conditions as such but of course various virus's, tonsillitis etc over the year and I wonder what they would use to try to wiggle out of a claim.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Allaboutdisney
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
I wish I could get a report from my doctors for our family of 4 and send it to the Insurance so I know everything is declared !

We have no medical conditions as such but of course various virus's, tonsillitis etc over the year and I wonder what they would use to try to wiggle out of a claim.
I agree with this. I always panic that I have missed something or that one trip to the drs from 18 months ago that I’ve forgotten.
Allaboutdisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bal View Post
One way to check the quality of Travel Insurance is the Defaqto rating. This can be checked here, defaqto/

I should say this only checks cover. Not things like customer service etc.
Glad to see ours in the 5 star list. Thank you for posting
Old 6 Jan 18, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10

Exactly, its ridiculous, how far back are you supposed to go? I went about a cough before Christmas, sent away with no medication, do I declare that as a common cold?

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Agreed. I always, without fail, have to ring them afterwards to tell them about something I'd forgotten. Always tell them everything, even if you think it's insignificant, as you don't want to give them any opportunity to avoid paying a claim. I had tonsillitis and had to pay a small premium to be covered as it happened after the policy was taken out. I have a poor immune system so something like this could be serious for me.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mariechez View Post
Exactly, its ridiculous, how far back are you supposed to go? I went about a cough before Christmas, sent away with no medication, do I declare that as a common cold?
We have annual travel insurance with Natwest, every year I call them a week before we are due to travel and tell them everything we have visited the doctor about for the last year (all minor things). They are only interested in the ones where a prescription has been given but i let them decide what's important and what's not.

Edited at 02:07 PM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
We have annual travel insurance with Natwest, every year I call them a week before we are due to travel and tell them everything we have visited the doctor about for the last year (all minor things). They are only interested in the ones where a prescription has been given but i let them decide what's important and what's not.
That’s a really good idea, funnily enough I just got a letter from Nationwide (we have flex plus account) asking is this still the correct product for us and to make sure we declare any medical conditions
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mariechez View Post
FOS would possibly only allow them to refuse a claim if the non disclosure was directly related to the loss and the condition was not serious and ongoing (the FOS would have no sympathy for someone lying on a proposal and failing to declare a serious ongoing medical issue).
For example , failing to declare a serious condition, which flared up again on holiday, don't expect the insurer to pay. Failing to disclose some minor, now resolved and unrelated ailment because you forgot, would probably not pass a FOS complaint although the insurer could try and you would have a whole heap of stress.
As to avoidance, there is now the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations ) Act 2012. This essentially says the insurer can only avoid (can treat the policy as if never existed, voiding ' ab initio') if the non disclosure or misrepresentation is deliberate or reckless, albeit the claim can be declined for careless non disclosure or misrep- but see point above about how FOS would see it.
The advice has to be to answer all questions fully and truthfully when incepting the policy, you don't want to be in a scenario where you are leaving yourself open to a six figure liability.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List