Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 18, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Are you on virgin? If you are a flying club member then you can choose the seats 72 hours in advance for free. I have always had plenty of choice.
Nope. Going on BA. So it is pay or wait till 24 hours. I just dont see most of the plane paying. I think if im hitting refresh from 30 mins prior to the 24 hour mark i should be ok. I hope!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
John
Imagineer

John's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I don't pay for seating and never will, having said that it's only myself and helen, maybe if I had kids I'd think about it. For this trip, we are economy on they way out (plenty of seats not pre-booked, so will probably sit together) I'll be reading or watching a film, so not concerned. On the way back, we are PE,but only four seats left (all four together in the middle pe row on the BA 777), but it's a night flight, so will be trying to relax, so again, not bothered if we don't get to sit together... don't tell Helen lol...
John is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have never paid extra to sit together and in over 40 trips to USA we have never been separated.

Those couples who book a window seat and aisle seat in the hope no one would book the seat in the middle are incredibly selfish and if I was in control of seating arrangements I would put the biggest foul smelling person ever in between them.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post

I've paid for our seats, I wanted us to sit in the back in 2 rows of 2 rather then 4 in the middle. As well as making sure we are all together. and we don't actually go away that much so the cost is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Never paid - have been split as a family of 4 but in 2s so nothing major. The kids are teens now so doesn’t matter too much
Old 22 Jan 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post

We always pay as not prepared to take the risk. DH is not a great flyer and DD wouldn’t want to sit alone. I on the other hand would love 9 hours of peace and 🤫
Old 22 Jan 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I have to say, this is one thing I disapprove of, we pay enough to fly on holiday without having to pay an additional amount of money.

On this one occasion we paid to go in the bubble (family of 4) it cost £280 return, now I had huge problems booking online, rang Virgin Atlantic twice & after a 3rd time I spoke to a nice bloke called David who sorted it all out after I explained what had gone off & the fact that this was a very special holiday to us & he sorted all my problems out no problem.
DisneyBobby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by chrisxal View Post
I have never paid extra to sit together and in over 40 trips to USA we have never been separated.

Those couples who book a window seat and aisle seat in the hope no one would book the seat in the middle are incredibly selfish and if I was in control of seating arrangements I would put the biggest foul smelling person ever in between them.
People seriously do this?
DisneyBobby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I don't know if it actually lets you. I know that when you're selecting seats normally, you can't spread yourselves out like that so why they'd let you pay to do so is a bit nuts.

I guess paying depends on your circumstances. With BA we've had the ability to book a week or so before flying due to a child in the party and been together (keeping an eye in the run up) without paying. Paid this year due to a very pleasant saving on our holiday we didn't expect. We've booked outgoing to get ourselves as close to the front as possible but considering just leaving the return until the week before as we're not fussed coming home.
May change our minds down the line.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 18, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DisneyBobby View Post
People seriously do this?
It's massively common to do the window/aisle with the middle seat free trick.

What has happened recently though is a bunch of frequent travellers that fly solo for work a lot have started to seek out these assignments and place themselves in the middle seat and then when they get on the flight refuse to leave their assigned seat.

Unfortunately it will only ever "teach" a small few of the selfish people who do this. It's this type of "jigsaw ruining" that makes it more likely others will be split up as the options to seat groups together diminishes with each "non-standard" group