Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Sep 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
carol613
Earning More Ears

I have the old paper licence never got asked to show my passport or any other ID , when we went in August
carol613 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for all the positives on Dollar in this thread everybody. It's very reassuring. I'd heard several places they've improved in the last few years. I understand people have had bad experiences of them but if those aren't in the last five years or so then maybe it's time to review if their prices are better - I'm saving £200 this year using them over Alamo on a Standard SUV.
No one's mentioned the fact it's well worth joining the free Dollar Express membership on their US site as you'll often be given priority or even skip the counter (although more recently the latter is only if you've hired directly with Dollar from what I've read).
Old 29 Oct 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wycombedad View Post
Thanks for all the positives on Dollar in this thread everybody. It's very reassuring. I'd heard several places they've improved in the last few years. I understand people have had bad experiences of them but if those aren't in the last five years or so then maybe it's time to review if their prices are better - I'm saving £200 this year using them over Alamo on a Standard SUV.
No one's mentioned the fact it's well worth joining the free Dollar Express membership on their US site as you'll often be given priority or even skip the counter (although more recently the latter is only if you've hired directly with Dollar from what I've read).
Hiya WD, yes, you'll likely be fine. My bad experience was 2013, over a year after Hertz bought them out. Perhaps Hertz has stopped palming their utter junk onto Dollar. Used Dollar Express but had to email hire details, asking them to add as DE didn't recognise the 3rd party agent's confirmation ref. Might be worth giving that a try. I bypassed the desk, went straight to junk yard, err, garage
Old 29 Oct 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I use Dollar quite a bit in Florida, usually from Fort Lauderdale, Miami or Fort Myers before a cruise. They have a great drop off location near the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale with free shuttle to the ship. I’ve never had any hassle on pick up and usually a good selection of cars. Last Feb in Miami we had a great free upgrade. Downside is their Sunpass rates are expensive. Next rental is in 10 days - it’ll probably all go pear shaped now!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I use Dollar quite a bit in Florida, usually from Fort Lauderdale, Miami or Fort Myers before a cruise. They have a great drop off location near the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale with free shuttle to the ship. I’ve never had any hassle on pick up and usually a good selection of cars. Last Feb in Miami we had a great free upgrade. Downside is their Sunpass rates are expensive. Next rental is in 10 days - it’ll probably all go pear shaped now!
Nah, you'll be reet Omega - have a good holiday (I'm guessing it's holiday ).
Old 29 Oct 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Many of those so against Dollar haven't used them in 20 years so don't worry about it. I don't have allegiance to any company and don't remember Dollar being particularly any worse than the others and I've had hundreds of rentals.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Many of those so against Dollar haven't used them in 20 years so don't worry about it. I don't have allegiance to any company and don't remember Dollar being particularly any worse than the others and I've had hundreds of rentals.
With your sweeping 'haven't used them in 20 years' statement one could assume you haven't read most of the posts on this thread from those who encountered poorly maintained Dollar vehicles, most of which Dollar were dishing out for quite some time post Hertz's purchase in 2012. It's good you haven't had similar dealings with Dollar but don't disrespect those who have and who took the time to share their experiences.
Old 30 Oct 18, 03:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Mmm, it will take a long time for me to accept that Dollar are better than they were 10 years ago let alone 20 years.
Cars that were dogs, staff who were openly contemptuous of renters, staff who blatantly lied and were scam artists at the best.
Even now they have very dubious toll pass practices.
Not for me.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Even now they have very dubious toll pass practices.
Very true!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List