Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Oct 18, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wycombedad View Post
Thanks Duncan, that's really helpful. I tried to view the JD scores but the site won't open for European visitors. But it's certainly the impression I get from reading more recent posts. And it's £175 cheaper than Alamo right now.
As I work in International Transportation I'm able to access the full survey.
However if you Google usatoday jd power 2017 carhire survey you will get the top six percentages as a snap shot.
If you look at Time Magazine and Google carhire survey you will they rate Dollar at 4.
Enjoy.
Old 28 Oct 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

One small point may be worth considering, from your post you're looking to rent a 7 seater, if you book a standard SUV with anyone can you guarantee you'll end up with the necessary seats? 7 seaters may be advertised on the companies websites but what choice you might have on arrival is another matter. I rented a standard SUV with Avis from Tampa this year and that was only a five seat model.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

If you are depending on getting a 7 seater, I'd probably book one from the start to be honest. We had a standard SUV and it was only 5 seats. I believe this is far more common than getting a 7 seater in that bracket. We went via Netflights and had 21 days for £550. Hope you get what you need
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the comments on the 7 seater issue. Which models did both of you have, do you know?
The Hyundai Santa Fe, which is the most common car available as a standard SUV, is a five seater with two pull outs in the base of the boot, which is what we'd planned to use. (The fixed five seat 'Sport' version is an intermediate SUV).
Lots of the other 'upgrades' such as the Explorer or Traverse within the class seem to be fixed seven seaters too. The Ford Edge and Nissan Murano seem like the only two to avoid. It seemed like a pretty good bet but I'd love other's experiences.
Old 29 Oct 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

We got a Ford Edge. My friend had standard SUV too and she got offered a Kia, not sure if it was a 7 seater though.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks toots, we're flying into Miami so it's a 'Choice' location where we should hopefully have a reasonable selection. We're staying 15 minutes from the airport for the next three days so bringing it in another time and swapping it out if I'm not happy with it (these forums have lots of excuses to give...) would always be an option.
Old 29 Oct 18, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the comments on the 7 seater issue. Which models did both of you have, do you know?
The Hyundai Santa Fe, which is the most common car available as a standard SUV, is a five seater with two pull outs in the base of the boot, which is what we'd planned to use. (The fixed five seat 'Sport' version is an intermediate SUV).
Lots of the other 'upgrades' such as the Explorer or Traverse within the class seem to be fixed seven seaters too. The Ford Edge and Nissan Murano seem like the only two to avoid. It seemed like a pretty good bet but I'd love other's experiences.
We had a Ford Edge this year via a BA flydrive. Next year I've booked a standard SUV through DFCH and they show a 'Hyundai Santa Fe Standard 5 seater or similar'.
Edited as below! Broadband connection playing up!

Edited at 11:54 AM.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

We had a Ford Edge this year via a BA flydrive. Next year I've booked a standard SUV through DFCH and they show a 'Hyundai Santa Fe Standard 5 seater or similar' but again that's from Tampa Airport.
Old 29 Oct 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Would the santa fe's all still have the extra 2 fold up seats in the boot or them removed?

A lot of the time they take out things not needed. so you'd have to be sure those seats are there.
Old 29 Oct 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

It's standard in the normal sized Santa Fe from what I can see. Only the sport version excludes them which is why it's a lower rental class.