Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 30 Oct 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Alamo price surcharge dates...

Sorry I know this has been posted before and I have tried to search but can't seem to find the answer...

can anyone tell me the dates that Alamo stop the price surges in August. I know that from xx Date to xx Date it's a much higher rate and I think the date the higher price ends is only like 2/3 days in to our planned dates (flights permitting! ) so I am thinking it's going to be cheaper to do 2 separate bookings as am I right in thinking if it's a 2 week booking for example the full 2 weeks will be charged at the higher rate even if only the first 2 days fell in to the higher rate?

Edited at 02:44 PM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. I'm on the iPad so it's not that easy to search but for those that use the price surging formula it tends to cease circa Aug 16th or thereabouts.

Not all 3rd party suppliers implement the surges however and Virgin is one that doesn't plus a few others.

To your question. If there is a surge within your vacation dates you will definitely be better off doing two bookings. It can be a pain but to save a few hundred it's worth the effort.

The quick way to find the date in question is to check on Brits and fiddle around with dates a week before and a week after your holiday. Any surging present soon leaps out.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 01:02 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Chancer
A Guest at All-Stars

So if a 2 week booking is split into 2 x 1 week bookings, does the car need to be returned after first week?

Checking on the Alamo site, splitting the booking for me would cut the rental by £300!
Chancer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Chancer View Post
So if a 2 week booking is split into 2 x 1 week bookings, does the car need to be returned after first week?

Checking on the Alamo site, splitting the booking for me would cut the rental by £300!
Yes it has to be checked back into a depot of your choice. If you ask they will let you drive back out in the same car but not at the airport as it's too hard there to get it out of the return line.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Mobile

We went on the 18th August last year and that fell outside the seasonal surcharge period, so the 16th sounds about right.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Great thanks guys & as always Mr TM for the helpful information! Good to know virgin don't do the price surge I will check them out & have a play on Alamo Brits and see if I can figure the exact date!

For the sake of saving a good few hundred ££££ I am not adverse to an hour from my time to switch the car!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

We hired 3 x 7-seater Minivans 28 Jul - 25 Aug this year and saved £600 per vehicle by booking Alamo through Virgin versus those agents who were affected by the price surge.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List