Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 31 Oct 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Have you considered a Trunki Boost-a-pak? Worked a treat for us a couple of years ago, and it serves as a useful bit of luggage (hand-luggage approved, you could use it as the little one's allowance?).
Old 31 Oct 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
hmmm with me id be inclined then to hire over there. Incase they didnt arrive with everything else.

But id not use an inflatable as id not be sure they met the US standards.
Any seat taken from the UK technically doesn’t meet the US standards, because the law states federally approved.

It matters not if the seat has a EU approval because it’s not federal approval. So if you want to comply with Florida state law you would have to rent or buy out there.

That being said the chances of actually falling foul of the law are somewhat slim.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

I’ve got a couple of the inflatable bubblebum seats. Their US website explains what safety systems they comply with over there. We don’t usually hire a car but take them in case of emergencies. If I was hiring a car for 2 weeks I’d either hire or take my own. Not tried them out yet so can’t say if I’d recommend or not.
Old 31 Oct 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Agree 100% with Raggyavn if wish to be 100% and not risk a fine or possibly put an insurance claim at risk you must rent buy in US.
So no one thinks this is scaremongering I would take a UK/EU approved seat but I am 100% aware of possible repercussions regarding this.
It's your choice alone .
Old 1 Nov 18, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

If you would be happy to use an 8nflatable seat for long motorway journeys at home use it there, If you would not use it at home don’t use it there.

We take my DD full car seat every time we Tavel it’s a little bit of hassle putting it on the luggage trolley and sometimes we have to wait formoversized luggage but I think it keeps her safter and it puts my mind at rest.

Edited at 06:53 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Karma's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I used to take my own over as seems a rip off by hire cars charging per day for them. However some villa owners have them along with a choice of strollers for no extra charge.
Karma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

DD has a trunkie boostapak, it goes in addition to luggage allowance on BA and virgin (used on both). I wouldnt use an inflatable one, luckily DD is now 134 cm so hopefully the last time we need to take one. DD is far more precious to me than saving a few $$$$.
Old 1 Nov 18, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Looks like uk height is 135cm, so DD nearly there! In us its 4ft 9in in usa, not sure what thet converts to.
Old 1 Nov 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Looks like uk height is 135cm, so DD nearly there! In us its 4ft 9in in usa, not sure what thet converts to.
4ft9in is 1.4478cm
135cm is absolute minimum height for not requiring a car seat. If your dd still fits it is advisable to carry on using it until outgrown
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
4ft9in is 1.4478cm
135cm is absolute minimum height for not requiring a car seat. If your dd still fits it is advisable to carry on using it until outgrown
We still continue to use one as the seat belt definitely fits better with the booster seat, like I say it’s no bother and can get a change of clothes in the base! She has been lucky enough to take as hand luggage on all our flights. Would definitely recommend over an inflatable one, they just don’t sound safe to me.