Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Nov 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
Hi Tweety1, we got back last night and stayed at the HolidayInn Express on FW. Only booked a couple of weeks before and paid £350 for 3 nights bed and breakfast, hopefully £30 cashback but never guaranteed. Might have been an "off season" rate as it does seem a lot more expensive in July.

Yes FW is a bit touristy but it was ideal for us, easy transfer from the airport via BART train and the F streetcar which terminates a block from the hotel, about a 5 min walk.

We hired a car at the end of our stay and the Avis office was also a 5 min walk from the hotel. Parking at the hotel was £51 a night so made sense not to have a car in SF, although we did drive down Lombard St. on our way out.
Aww thank you hope the holiday blues aren't too bad
Yes I will monitor prices as it gets nearer
Old 13 Nov 17, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Aww it's horrible coming home
SB is a place I've not really looked at tbh - why did us like it so much? Where did you stay in LA?
We stayed in East Beach, half a block from the beach which was great. We had about a mile walk along the front to the Pier and State street were all the main shops and restaurants were. But there were buses that went up and down the front for 50 cents! On Sunday artists set up stalls along the beach path displaying their different forms of art.

The whole place was just lovely, no high rise buildings, lovely shops and restaurants, good weather. Also I think the excitement of our holiday just beginning helped too

There were some homeless people too but we weren't put off by this.

We didn't really want to stay in LA but my DS was desperate to visit The Tempest Freerunning Academy so we stayed at the Best Western Plus in Redondo Beach.

We were surprised how much we actual enjoyed our stay. The great beach was a 10 minute walk away. Next door to the hotel was a small shopping complex that had the best Thai restaurant (outside Thailand) and ice cream shop ever! There was also a Subway, a gas station and a CVS. It was really nice just to walk for something to eat and not have to get in the car.

Also the location was 30 mins from LAX and handy for the Cheesecake Factory for our last meal before going to the airport
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Allan
Excited about Disney

I just returned from San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and I chose to stay in the Chancellor Hotel close to Union Square.

When I go back I will likely choose one of the motel type hotels on Lombard Street and use Uber or Muni to get around.

Main reason is that whilst the Chancellor is a very charming hotel, very clean with nice free offerings in the lobby and very convenient for the major shops, we were hardly in the hotel, it was a place to sleep and for the price we paid, we didn't get value from the hotel.

One other thing was that in was in the high 80s/low 90s when we were there and the Chancellor didn't have AC. We had to sleep with the ceiling on and the window open and Union Square area was very noisy at night.
Allan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparkles18 View Post
We stayed in East Beach, half a block from the beach which was great. We had about a mile walk along the front to the Pier and State street were all the main shops and restaurants were. But there were buses that went up and down the front for 50 cents! On Sunday artists set up stalls along the beach path displaying their different forms of art.

The whole place was just lovely, no high rise buildings, lovely shops and restaurants, good weather. Also I think the excitement of our holiday just beginning helped too

There were some homeless people too but we weren't put off by this.

We didn't really want to stay in LA but my DS was desperate to visit The Tempest Freerunning Academy so we stayed at the Best Western Plus in Redondo Beach.

We were surprised how much we actual enjoyed our stay. The great beach was a 10 minute walk away. Next door to the hotel was a small shopping complex that had the best Thai restaurant (outside Thailand) and ice cream shop ever! There was also a Subway, a gas station and a CVS. It was really nice just to walk for something to eat and not have to get in the car.

Also the location was 30 mins from LAX and handy for the Cheesecake Factory for our last meal before going to the airport
Sounds amazing... no way will I fit that in tho
I'm really struggling as it is... I'm super excited tho but could do with an extra week lol
Old 14 Nov 17, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I just returned from San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and I chose to stay in the Chancellor Hotel close to Union Square.

When I go back I will likely choose one of the motel type hotels on Lombard Street and use Uber or Muni to get around.

Main reason is that whilst the Chancellor is a very charming hotel, very clean with nice free offerings in the lobby and very convenient for the major shops, we were hardly in the hotel, it was a place to sleep and for the price we paid, we didn't get value from the hotel.

One other thing was that in was in the high 80s/low 90s when we were there and the Chancellor didn't have AC. We had to sleep with the ceiling on and the window open and Union Square area was very noisy at night.
I'm looking at the motels but they are quite exp at the min, they may go down nearer the time
Thank you for your advice