Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Aug 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYorkshire
Staying in the Castle

Tui free car hire Alamo

Hello, so sorry if this has already been posted but I'm new to this website and haven't learnt how to navigate it yet..

We have booked a Tui florida villa holiday with free car hire.

From what I've been reading our basic cover with Tui doesn't cover the CDW & TDW which alamo require for you to hire their cars.

If I purchase my own private car hire excess insurance would they still allow me to hire a car?

Any advice would be much appreciated 😀
DisneyYorkshire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Innocenti
Helping Minnie

mm I doubt it, can you not prepay for the cover through Tui?
Old 4 Aug 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Friday'sChild
Imagineer

Friday'sChild's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It is cheaper to ditch the 'free' car and book your car hire through one of the usual car hire companies, ie : Alamo, Dollar etc as this comes with all the cover you need

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7748_13.gif
Friday'sChild is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyYorkshire View Post
Hello, so sorry if this has already been posted but I'm new to this website and haven't learnt how to navigate it yet..

We have booked a Tui florida villa holiday with free car hire.

From what I've been reading our basic cover with Tui doesn't cover the CDW & TDW which alamo require for you to hire their cars.

If I purchase my own private car hire excess insurance would they still allow me to hire a car?

Any advice would be much appreciated 😀
Hi DY, drop andy@discountfloridacarhire.co.uk a line and run it by him. Until the car hire shortage situation that has seen car hire prices increase substantially, due to car suppliers clearing inventory during covid, plus a vast shortage in the required microchip for new vehicle engines, I'd have also said to ditch the 'free' car, now I'd be researching CDW and TDW prices and Andy, owner of Discount Florida Car Hire is very helpful, even if you aren't hiring from him on this occasion.

Please update your decision/outcome as it may assist others, thank you
Old 6 Aug 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Loubloo1
New Poster (3)

I wont ditch the free car. Mine has cost me £500 with full insurance for 11 days in May next year. You cannot compete with that
Loubloo1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've always bought a standalone policy for the LDW and CDW for around £100. We used I Car Hire the last few trips.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
We've always bought a standalone policy for the LDW and CDW for around £100. We used I Car Hire the last few trips.
Can I ask what you do about the $1.000.000 SLI cover needed?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Can I ask what you do about the $1.000.000 SLI cover needed?
I'm also interested in this separate insurance because I post regularly on car hire insurance cover and to be honest I've always taken what is included by UK brokers (CDW with no excess and $1m SLI - which in my opinion is far more important than CDW).

If I have a minor prang in my Alamo for instance I just ring them up and they deliver me a new car with nothing to pay. If that happens with I Car Hire do you have to pay Alamo for the damage straightaway presumably with your CC then reclaim the cost through your separate policy?

Mick
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We add it on (an extra option through the booking process). My husband says we actually used Insurance4carhire last time so apologies for quoting the wrong one. We get the Annual Worldwide Policy which includes the SLI too. He's looked this morning and the price has gone up to £125, but that's still reasonable.

Just to say - I was in hospital when I replied and the morphine made me a bit foggy so my reply is a bit muddled, apologies for that!
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by KRBarnard View Post
We add it on (an extra option through the booking process). My husband says we actually used Insurance4carhire last time so apologies for quoting the wrong one. We get the Annual Worldwide Policy which includes the SLI too. He's looked this morning and the price has gone up to £125, but that's still reasonable.

Just to say - I was in hospital when I replied and the morphine made me a bit foggy so my reply is a bit muddled, apologies for that!
Thanks for that and certainly no need to apologise

It's just that Tom and I are always spotting post for so called "free" cars included in UK packages and hate it for anyone new to car hire to get trapped with insufficient insurance especially SLI.

Mick

PS
I had a serious op back in 2009 and during my recovery I had a "watch" that delivered morphine straight into my wrist when I clicked a button. It was great for killing the post-op pain

Edited at 09:45 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List