Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Sep 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Daughters gone veggie, help with vitamins?

Hiya

My dd (14) has decided to try and follow a vegetarian diet. We've seen it coming for a while and are more than happy to support her but with no pressure at all.

Today is her 1 week anniversary of being meat free and she's really impressed me with how she's tried new things (quorn fajitas, linda mccartney sausages, plant based kiev... that one didn't go down so well but she tried). I'm just looking for some help with what vitamins she may need as she's not great with dairy and doesn't like egg she's great with her veg, especially salads, loves pasta, will have cheese sauce. She also loves home made soups etc. so I know she can get lots of nutrients in her diet but she's super active and possibly still growing so I want to make sure we're giving her everything she needs.

Any hints/tips/food recommendations etc. very welcome. Tomorrow we are making vegetarian lasagna to see how that goes.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

The key is to ensure that she’s getting enough iron and vitamin b12.

I would check out the vegetarian society website. I’m sure there will be lots of excellent information on there.

I’ve been veggie since I was 12 and do sometimes have low iron so take vitamin and mineral supplements. I tend to eat a lot of beans/pulses/spinach leaves and soya.

Have to say that I am not keen on a lot of the new vegan fake meat produce. Had a vegan burger today whilst out and it was like eating raw sausage meat. 🤢

Edited to add: good luck to your DD. It took me 3 attempts but now, I don’t even think about it and could never imagine eating meat.

Edited at 10:40 PM.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I’ve been vegetarian for nearly 40years(&#128561, never needed to take vitamins. B12 is often found in breakfast cereals.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We’ll done to her 🥰

As she is so active, maybe consider her protein needs as eggs and meat are two of the biggest forms.
Milk, cheese, cottage cheese etc all a good source but you say not keen on dairy.
Oats are good, as are nuts and seeds, and lentils. But mostly all lower than the meat and dairy.

You could do a dummy day in your mfp app to see what’s she getting. There are some nice bars and shakes she could have on her back from dance maybe if you feel too low.

Broccoli also has protein and loads of vitamins so add that if she likes it to her meals

Good luck x

Edited at 08:14 AM.
mitch84 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I agree with others - iron, B12 and protein are all things to keep an eye on.

B12 can only be found in animal products, including eggs and dairy, and even some carnivores can find it hard to sustain levels. It is not in breakfast cereals, but iron is, albeit not in great quantities.

I’ve had iron and B12 deficiencies on and off, and I’m not in a hurry to have them again. Berocca (boots equivalent) and feroglobin effervescent see me right. I have one of each a day when in the office, I always forget at hone.
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

As above, B12 is the only vitamin that will definitely be lacking in a balanced veggie diet with little dairy or eggs so will need supplementing. Anything else is pretty easy to find, but a good multi made for vegans should cover your bases.

Protein shouldn't be too much of an issue, there is protein in pretty much everything except pure fats. Especially if she's eating faux meats which are often soy based.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve been veggie for almost 40years.’ I’m not keen on a lot of the ‘veggie products’ available so generally just have pasta and rice dishes with lots of veg, roast
dinner without the meat etc.
I think the only time I’ve needed to take vitamin supplements and iron was during pregnancy.
Will she eat fish? I add salmon to pasta/rice and salads, very quick and easy meals that she could make herself.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
The key is to ensure that she’s getting enough iron and vitamin b12.

I would check out the vegetarian society website. I’m sure there will be lots of excellent information on there.

I’ve been veggie since I was 12 and do sometimes have low iron so take vitamin and mineral supplements. I tend to eat a lot of beans/pulses/spinach leaves and soya.

Have to say that I am not keen on a lot of the new vegan fake meat produce. Had a vegan burger today whilst out and it was like eating raw sausage meat. 🤢

Edited to add: good luck to your DD. It took me 3 attempts but now, I don’t even think about it and could never imagine eating meat.
Yes, I tried the Richmond meat free burger and couldn’t even cook it. It smelt awful 🤢

The linda mccartney stuff and old school bean burgers are the best. Unfortunately many are laden with Palm Oil which I can’t tolerate. 😔
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

I also gave my daughters daily multi vitamins even before one became veggie and the other developed a dairy allergy (but also doesn't really eat meat). As they are now adults I encourage them to keep their eye on their iron. The veggie daughter takes b12 supplements and they both put protein powder in their smoothies. I also buy them the pro biotic veggie choc balls from Holland and Barrett for their good enzimes. Hope your daughter gets in well with her veggie diet.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good for you supporting healthy eating but I do smile remembering my Mother in Law bringing me tubs of vitamins for DH to take as he had stopped taking sugar in his brews. Apparently she decided he needed the energy. 😆
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List