Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Apr 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post

Hollywood blvd
These pics are fab thank you for sharing! I see what you mean about the ppl!
I know it's seedy but I would have to see it. Do you drive in ( which I'm thinking nightmare!) or get subway/public transport?
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Wow,wow I didn't realise there was so much to do! How far is the hoover dam,GC from here?
Any tips on obtaining cheap flights? Do you ever do indirect? Thank you so much you have been super helpful
Nope never go indirect and I won't tbh.. Its a long enough day as it is 11 hr flight, 8 hr time difference I won't add to that.

I almost always have a BA fly drive package seems to be the cheapest for us and most others on here from what I've read.

Hoover Dam is about a 40 min drive from the Strip.

West Rim of the Grand Canyon where all the helicopters go is about 2.5 hr drive each way, the South Rim is about 4 hrs each way so would make for a long day if you drove there and back in a day.

These pics are fab thank you for sharing! I see what you mean about the ppl!
I know it's seedy but I would have to see it. Do you drive in ( which I'm thinking nightmare!) or get subway/public transport?
Hell no I don't do public transport anywhere .. We drive in , Driving in / around Hollywood is not that much different to driving in London really. We usually park in the valet parking at the Hollywood & Highland center which is on Hollywood Blvd, cost us $15 last month.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Nope never go indirect and I won't tbh.. Its a long enough day as it is 11 hr flight, 8 hr time difference I won't add to that.

I almost always have a BA fly drive package seems to be the cheapest for us and most others on here from what I've read.

Hoover Dam is about a 40 min drive from the Strip.

West Rim of the Grand Canyon where all the helicopters go is about 2.5 hr drive each way, the South Rim is about 4 hrs each way so would make for a long day if you drove there and back in a day.

Hell no I don't do public transport anywhere .. We drive in , Driving in / around Hollywood is not that much different to driving in London really. We usually park in the valet parking at the Hollywood & Highland center which is on Hollywood Blvd, cost us $15 last month.
I think you need to get a minivan and take us with you as a 'project' lol
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
hawki
Imagineer

I was like you & wanted to do California but didn't know where to start & if we would like it, so this year I'm doing both! We are just doing 4 days Disney staying at Grand California so we can do all Disneyland. Then flying to Orlando.
If we like California we will go back & do more another time.
Port Orleans Riverside - 2011,2012, 2014,2015,2016,2017 RPR 2015,2016,Grand California,POR & HRH 2017 DLP Newport Bay 2018 Sequoia Lodge 2019 Grand California,HRH CSR 2019
hawki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I think you need to get a minivan and take us with you as a 'project' lol
Anytime ;-)

Originally Posted by hawki View Post
I was like you & wanted to do California but didn't know where to start & if we would like it, so this year I'm doing both! We are just doing 4 days Disney staying at Grand California so we can do all Disneyland. Then flying to Orlando.
In 4 days t and being in Anaheim you will barely see anything California has to offer. Anaheim is ok for Disney but nothing much else to see there . Are you having a car so you can venture further afield.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hawki View Post
Sounds like a plan... what are your flights like abc were they expensive? As in we have just had a NYC and Orlando combo but to do this is cost hardly anything extra than if I flew direct to Orlando
Old 1 May 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

[QUOTE=daytonababe;12489469]Anytime ;-)

Ha ha wouldn't that be cool a personal guide I would feel amongst the rich and famous
Old 1 May 17, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ems!
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We go to California most years now ( well this year I did east and west coast - not Orlando tho )- but I was there For 7 weeks ! Been to Florida / Orlando around 7 times and will go back but west coast always seems to win at the moment . Some comments :

- the driving is not that bad . I've never driven on Orlando but always drive in California ( I probably would now drive in Orlando tho next time !)

- If you are into the national parks then I feel that south rim Grand Canyon is a no brainier over the west rim . So worth staying overnight too so you get to see the sunrise and sunset.

- Yosemite is amazing , give it at least 2 nights . I'd always stay inside the national park but this might be a bit cost restrictive for a party of 4.

- we love Palm Springs - in fact stayed there for a week this time ( though 3 of those days were for the music festival , Coachella) , we tend to use it as a relaxing time but there's also things to do there ( wet n wild , aerial tramway , Joshua tree np)

- agree a few hours is all you need to tick Hollywood off your list - nice to see the walk of fame etc but Hollywood is grim !

-also love Vegas but agree with DB that a 20 yr old could find it a little frustrating!

So my idea for a first time trip would be :

- fly into San Fran - 2 nights
- Yosemite - 2 nights
- 1 night somewhere on the coast on the way to LA
- 4 nights la/Anaheim for Disney / universal
- 3 nights Palm Springs
- 1 night Grand Canyon
- 3 nights Vegas - fly home from there

If you have time I'd add a day onto San Fran too . Also San Diego is great but I think you need 4 days to do it justice so I'd save it for another trip I think , unless you have time to add it in. You could also maybe choose to ditch GC and Vegas and swap it for San Diego ( flying home from la ) , then do Vegas another time when the 20 yr old is a bit older ! If you have 3 weeks then you could do both !

Edited at 07:02 PM.
Ems! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
hawki
Imagineer

Sounds like a plan... what are your flights like abc were they expensive? As in we have just had a NYC and Orlando combo but to do this is cost hardly anything extra than if I flew direct to Orlando
Hi, I sent you a PM on flights

I'm only planning on doing Disney & nothing else so just a taste of West Coast & a small break from just Orlando, plus I need to visit the original park.
Port Orleans Riverside - 2011,2012, 2014,2015,2016,2017 RPR 2015,2016,Grand California,POR & HRH 2017 DLP Newport Bay 2018 Sequoia Lodge 2019 Grand California,HRH CSR 2019
hawki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ems! View Post
We go to California most years now ( well this year I did east and west coast - not Orlando tho )- but I was there For 7 weeks ! Been to Florida / Orlando around 7 times and will go back but west coast always seems to win at the moment . Some comments :

- the driving is not that bad . I've never driven on Orlando but always drive in California ( I probably would now drive in Orlando tho next time !)

- If you are into the national parks then I feel that south rim Grand Canyon is a no brainier over the west rim . So worth staying overnight too so you get to see the sunrise and sunset.

- Yosemite is amazing , give it at least 2 nights . I'd always stay inside the national park but this might be a bit cost restrictive for a party of 4.

- we love Palm Springs - in fact stayed there for a week this time ( though 3 of those days were for the music festival , Coachella) , we tend to use it as a relaxing time but there's also things to do there ( wet n wild , aerial tramway , Joshua tree np)

- agree a few hours is all you need to tick Hollywood off your list - nice to see the walk of fame etc but Hollywood is grim !

-also love Vegas but agree with DB that a 20 yr old could find it a little frustrating!

So my idea for a first time trip would be :

- fly into San Fran - 2 nights
- Yosemite - 2 nights
- 1 night somewhere on the coast on the way to LA
- 4 nights la/Anaheim for Disney / universal
- 3 nights Palm Springs
- 1 night Grand Canyon
- 3 nights Vegas - fly home from there

If you have time I'd add a day onto San Fran too . Also San Diego is great but I think you need 4 days to do it justice so I'd save it for another trip I think , unless you have time to add it in. You could also maybe choose to ditch GC and Vegas and swap it for San Diego ( flying home from la ) , then do Vegas another time when the 20 yr old is a bit older ! If you have 3 weeks then you could do both !
Thanks Ems you have been very helpful along with DB and hawki.
Wow a lot to think about... arghhh. The other frustrating thing is my eldest starts Uni but as it's an NHS course doesn't get the standard July/Aug school hols when my other children are off and I don't want to experience too much of this without her but it all sounds so fab I don't want to wait 3.5 yrs hence why I thought if we did Vegas I could see a bit of it.
I wonder if other 20 yr old go with their parents? My DH says she's too old now but how can you leave one behind