Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 13 May 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, made some more, after a 3 day cold ferment in the fridge, this morning i took the balls, separated them, gently re-balled them (trying to leave as much air in as possible) and dusted in flour. two balls were removed from the tray and transferred to another tub, where they sat on the counter in the kitchen for a few hours.

there were a couple of issues with the pizzas at the weekend, there was too much dough, so i used 250g balls instead of 300g, and it made a massive difference. i also used less toppings. i want to use a different pan, but i dont have anything suitable that is large enough right now so i used it again. im thinking a flatbread pan from our local indian supermarket might work...

again, pizza steel (or stone) in the grill, oven on full for 30 mins, change to full grill mode. check temp if possible:

thats commercial oven temperatures!

stretch dough, place into cold pan, add toppings, move to hob, burner on full, cook for a few minutes until base is cooked enough to move it onto the pizza peel

(if you dont have a pizza peel, i thoroughly recommend one, but if not, just put the pan under the grill. but that will slow you down unless you have two pans so you can start prepping the next one - again, the steel/stone isnt essential if you dont have one, but it definitely helps!)

i just use an offset spatula to lift one edge of the pizza out the skillter, and slide it over the the peel.

at this point, crack an egg in the middle!

slide the pizza off the peel and into the grill...

halfway through cooking (it takes a couple of minutes) use the peel to turn the pizza 180 degrees for even browning (or rotate the frying pan 90 degrees so the handle is poking out the other side)

remove from the grill, transfer to a wire rack to cool for ~5mins. this is an important step. if you put it on a plate and sliced it straight away you would burn yourself, and the base would steam on the plate and become soggy. besides, while its cooling, youve already got the second one on the go on the hob, right?!

oh, remember to brush the crust with garlic oil and a sprinkle of sea salt (chilli oil also works!) - this isnt an essential step, but i prefer it

heres how the crust looked before brushing. beautiful, isnt it?!

if your oven has a pyrolytic cleaning mode (like a lot of US ovens) then you could also use that. just be careful about burning - see video below for info on that

ok, who's gonna try doing one with this method?

Edited at 09:23 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

*bump*

so my new patio is starting to take shape. the shed went up this weekend, and im now looking at the cooking area... the ooni website has a 10% off code if you sign up to the mailing list, so i bit the bullet and ordered a koda 16 gas oven that should be arriving hopefully in time for my birthday next month. this will hopefully take me to the next level... cooking on the kamado was good, but there wasnt enough heat convection going over the top, so you ended up with a relatively pale top, and overly browned base. the only way to resolve that is by having the heatsource at the top, which is impossible in a kamado oven. home cooker results are good, but being able to cook in around a minute will make a huge difference!

expect a flood of new photos and recipes. in the meantime, feel free to suggest some good topping combinations that arent your standard chicken/pepperoni/whatever

(like black pudding and goats cheese with olives and jalapenos, which is my all-time favourite so far)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

just got a DHL tracking code for my koda 16, so i'm making a batch of dough today ready for when it comes in a few days time

Old 10 Oct 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Do you do delivery?
Old 10 Oct 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
yozza1977
Getting Excited

I've had the smaller Ooni Koda gas for the past 6 months. I use Caputo 00 Italian flour and the pizzApp for ingredients and prooving times.
It makes great pizza in a couple of minutes. This was the first attempt for a kids pizza.
yozza1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

Spent our summer making pizzas with the Ooni Koda pizza office, after a few mishaps we have perfect pizzas. 🍕

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
just got a DHL tracking code for my koda 16, so i'm making a batch of dough today ready for when it comes in a few days time

I am looking forward to seeing your creations with the ooni. I would love to get one, I adore pizza but I dont think DH wants to get one and it could be wasted on us.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Crispy duck, and hoisin!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just had an ooni fyra delivered havent tried it yet, after seeing this thread will definitely get it out of its box this week 😀
Old 12 Oct 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the doorbell rang at 7:15am...

the box is quite a bit larger than i was anticipating

Edited at 08:02 AM.