Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jun 21, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Easy drive, by the time you get to airport check in etc you will be half way there.
I am a strong believer in this and also (but not in this particular case), look at AMTRAC. I will give a relevant and recent example.

In 2009, I needed to get from Boston to New York. I already had booked my long hauls and was filling in the gaps between Boston and Miami.

Plane.
Get to Logan Int, (20 mins and $20plus tip).
Negotiate security (hand luggage only), get to Gate in good time, board. 1.5 hours.
Sit in plane and fly for around 1 hour. (1 hour and £300 for the for of us.. with another £88 if we had hold luggage).
Get off plane and out to airport concourse, picking up taxi at 1 of LaGuardia, Newark or JFK. (0.5 hours without baggage reclaim).
Taxi or other transport from Airport to times sq are (0.5 hrs and $50 plus tip).
Total expenditure = £350 or £438 with hold luggage.
Total (optimistic) time = 4 hours or possibly 4.5 with hold luggage.

By AMTRAC
Walk to Boston South railway station (free and 0.2 hours).
Train to Penn Stn (4 hours of relative comfort and $140).
Walk to Broadway hotel ( free and 0.2 hours).
Total expenditure, hold baggage or otherwise = £100.
Time taken =4.4 hrs.

Car.
Pick up car, negotiate out of Boston, drive and dump in central NY.. don’t even want to think about it.

Summary.
There are many ways to skin a cat and the obvious one is by no means always the best one. In the case of the thread starter, I would most certainly opt for the Car over the plane, with the simple roads involved and cost saved.. as well as time saved.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Good shout on AMTRAK CFB

Though when I researched for Las Vegas to Anaheim it was a terrible option, taking almost 24 hours due to the changes 😱 and it was not a lot cheaper than the plane 😳
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Good shout on AMTRAK CFB

Though when I researched for Las Vegas to Anaheim it was a terrible option, taking almost 24 hours due to the changes 😱 and it was not a lot cheaper than the plane 😳
Yes, I looked before posting. AMTRAC goes no nearer than Flagstaff. It is not suitable on this occasion.

AMTRAC is a rather sparse network for a nation of the size of the USA, but on short routes where 550mph versus 60 or so mph is not so important, then it very seriously comes into play.

It is a question of weighing up the nearness of Railway Stns against Airports, the check in and check out procedures and also the comparative comfort of train v plane… plus of course, the cost.

East coast, DC, Philly, NY and Boston can be done in just over 8 hours total, picking what you want to see. Clearly, if you stretch it to Orlando, then comparative speeds of transport takes over.

Detroit, Chicago look well connected.

The Northern Gulf Shore looks great.

The West Coast looks good, but many would regret missing the fantastic, coastal views of the PCH.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Many many thanks to you all. I spoke to my partner who as I said not a good traveler at the best of times even in uk and doing local bus taxi ect she said can we leave LA for another time we use the money hopefully to do

Me zipline and strat jump but we both be doing grad canyon again all so red rock there a tour that go there and night flight over Vegas partner might not do this

Thx again all
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Yes, I looked before posting. AMTRAC goes no nearer than Flagstaff. It is not suitable on this occasion.

AMTRAC is a rather sparse network for a nation of the size of the USA, but on short routes where 550mph versus 60 or so mph is not so important, then it very seriously comes into play.

It is a question of weighing up the nearness of Railway Stns against Airports, the check in and check out procedures and also the comparative comfort of train v plane… plus of course, the cost.

East coast, DC, Philly, NY and Boston can be done in just over 8 hours total, picking what you want to see. Clearly, if you stretch it to Orlando, then comparative speeds of transport takes over.

Detroit, Chicago look well connected.

The Northern Gulf Shore looks great.

The West Coast looks good, but many would regret missing the fantastic, coastal views of the PCH.
We really wanted to do Seattle to Vancouver - the scenery is meant to be stunning! On Amtrak (Amtrac?) that is
Old 30 Jun 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We really wanted to do Seattle to Vancouver - the scenery is meant to be stunning! On Amtrak (Amtrac?) that is
Amtrak. Ya we had tickets for 2020/2021 now 2022. Then Amtrak down to Portland from Seattle and fly Portland down to LA. Have been in Oregon once before briefly and it is breathtaking and seriously underrated/a hidden gem. The Columbia Gorge area is so stunning as are the coastal beach towns. We only did a one day tour to each as were on longer trip and tight for time so can’t wait to get back, tax free shopping and very reasonable accommodation costs are nice bonuses too.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Many many thanks to you all. I spoke to my partner who as I said not a good traveler at the best of times even in uk and doing local bus taxi ect she said can we leave LA for another time we use the money hopefully to do

Me zipline and strat jump but we both be doing grad canyon again all so red rock there a tour that go there and night flight over Vegas partner might not do this

Thx again all
At least you know there are plenty of things to do in Vegas. Red rock is lovely. Grand Canyon was just amazing. You are very brave to do the Strat, and the zipline. Hope you love them. Might be tempted to do the night flight after a few cocktails. Have you been on the High Roller?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by JoS View Post
At least you know there are plenty of things to do in Vegas. Red rock is lovely. Grand Canyon was just amazing. You are very brave to do the Strat, and the zipline. Hope you love them. Might be tempted to do the night flight after a few cocktails. Have you been on the High Roller?
Hi Jos yes been on high roller and been to Grand Canyon but partner did not do the walk along the canyon so she said she like to do that. I think you know there 2 zip lines in Vegas 😆 the we done the helicopter flight in Florida twice I just thought. Be really nice to see Vegas at night from above.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Hi Kevin, would love to do the high roller but I am too scared. I know a few people who have done the night flight with my Vegas, and they say once you are up there the height thing is not too bad. They loved it. Still scared though! Hope Maria does the walk along the canyon. How is she feeling about the flight?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Hi Kevin, would love to do the high roller but I am too scared. I know a few people who have done the night flight with my Vegas, and they say once you are up there the height thing is not too bad. They loved it. Still scared though! Hope Maria does the walk along the canyon. How is she feeling about the flight?
Hi Jos you should bite the bullet and do it Maria scared of hights but if it inclosed she don’t mind it. She ok about the flight as long as we near the front. I world say just do it it never to be forgot thing to do we done London Florida and Vegas wheels.