Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jul 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
loves_disney
Imagineer

loves_disney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
San Fran vs San Diego?

Hi guys,

West coast first time planners here. Have previously been to San Fran and LA as a child but we are planning a 10ish night trip next April. Just 2 adults - school holidays!

We want to finish our trip in Anaheim and we have two options for what to start with.

Option 1: San Fran, Yosemite and a drive down to LA with a stop or two.
Option 2: San Diego for a couple of days and then drive up to LA and across.

I reckon it would be possible to do it all but we would rather take our time and I’m not sure what we would prefer and we’re hoping for some opinions and preferences!

Thanks in advance!
Old 15 Jul 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

For me I'd definitely choose San Diego. It's a beautiful, relaxing place with warm sunshine.

San Francisco is OK, but can get cold and we've kind of done it now.
Old 15 Jul 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hey there...

I cannot help re San Diego as unfortunately we couldn't fit it into our 2016 trip ..

However, I cannot speak highly enough of San Francisco and Yosemite and they would be top of my list of places to go next time we are in Cali... so on that basis I would suggest option 1.

Min 3 nights in SF, min 2 nights in Yosemite (valley floor preferable), then would depend on your route to Anaheim is making way back to the coast then travelling down or going the more direct route. If coast then 2 nights (Monterey and SLO) or direct 1 night.

Then finish off in Anaheim for 3-4 nights.

The above is what we are going to do when the kids are a little older. In 2016 we did a round trip starting and ending in LA but including Vegas and Death Valley.

We probably wouldn't do that trip again for many years so would fly into SF, do everything North Cal, head down the coast into San Diego, before finishing in Anaheim.
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

San Francisco (imho) was expensive, dirty once you got off the tourist trap areas such as Fisherman’s and Union Sq and overrun with vagrants.
Don’t get me wrong, I loved Alcatraz, Powell Cable Cars, cycling the Golden Gate, Sausalito etc etc and I intend going there again this August for a few days also. It was simply that there are areas such as Tenderloin, Mission, the Bay Bridge ramp area and elsewhere that I would certainly not visit at night.
There is also plenty of excrement about, again once you get out of the main tourist areas.
If you want to stick to Fisherman’s Wharf then fine, but if you want to travel a bit further, then it ain’t so great.

San Diego is along with Boston is my favourite USA City, Clean and in places, beautiful. Balboa Park is particularly impressive, as is the Seaport/Sea front area. We loved the time on USS Midway, the Harbour Cruises and generally the whole ‘Top Gun feel of the place with its massive Naval presence.

For me, it would be an easy decision, if you are talking just about the cities.
The only problem is that I would greatly prefer the drive from San Francisco to LA, with Monterey, Big Sur, Pfeiffer Burns, Pismo, Solvang etc etc… to the drive between San Diego and LA with La Jolla, Oceanside, Legoland and stuff.

We may be very different family groups, but it may help you to look at the California trip report link in my signature, where we did the lot. It is all in one thread and shouldn’t take too long. It may give you some ideas here and there.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:25 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

San Fran has changed - like many places I guess. Once the home of bohemians and affordable quirky place to stay and dine the blue chip money moved in, artists moved out and it is now a place of those with money but not a soul and those that live on the street. My best friend and his husband recently relocated to London from San Fran (hey they know it well after writing 11 books there which were turned into TV Channel 4 and Netflix series I guess they should) and like them San Fran has a place in my heart but I would be happy never to return and keep my memories os old San Fran in my head.

San Diego is stunning - its a gentle place and in April will be a warm mild place to visit and hang out.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
loves_disney
Imagineer

loves_disney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Thank you all for your speedy replies! I think I'm leaning towards San Diego. We have both been to San Fran in 07 and did all the touristy bits - it was Yosemite that was calling my name moreso. And the drive down to LA with the stops.

I've had a look at the San Diego pin by a super knowledgeable and helpful Dibber - there is so much to do!

Away to peruse some trip reports to try to work out a rough plan for each route then will make a decision.

Thanks again guys! You've all been super helpful!
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves_disney View Post
Thank you all for your speedy replies! I think I'm leaning towards San Diego. We have both been to San Fran in 07 and did all the touristy bits - it was Yosemite that was calling my name moreso. And the drive down to LA with the stops.

I've had a look at the San Diego pin by a super knowledgeable and helpful Dibber - there is so much to do!

Away to peruse some trip reports to try to work out a rough plan for each route then will make a decision.

Thanks again guys! You've all been super helpful!

There is really one huge issue with visiting San Diego and that is you will fall in love with it and want to return time and time again - it could be an expensive first trip …………
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’d choose San Diego simply because you haven’t been before

I loved San Francisco when we visited there and there are many iconic sights but it’s basically a city break.

Yosemite - amazing - loved it!

San Diego offers beach and attractions and is a nice pair with Anaheim as it’s an easy drive
Old 15 Jul 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
There is really one huge issue with visiting San Diego and that is you will fall in love with it and want to return time and time again - it could be an expensive first trip …………
Absolutely!

Whilst I am very much a country boy, If I had to live in a proper, real, big city and I could choose…. Then San Diego every single time. There is something magical about it.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:03 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

I agree with everyone that San Francisco has some iconic sights but I’d also choose San Diego.

As CFB said, the drive from SF south is incredible but if you’re focussing on places to base yourself then maybe save the road trip for another time. I haven’t been to Yosemite so can’t comment on that part.

There is so much to see and do in San Diego, plus we found it to be friendly, clean and not crowded. We Dibbers are also lucky to have the fabulous Aims who provides loads of brilliant San Diego advice - take a look at her thread if you haven’t already done so.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List